• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts Nijikawa vs Sea Side Aquatics Premium Koi Food

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      If high fat diet is not good for older koi, why do you think Hikari and others formulated their food this way? Hikari has been around for decades. You'd think they figured a few things out during that time. I use Saki Hikari because it has given me good results. I never even pay attention to the nutritional numbers. On the flip side, I don't pick fish with mediocre skin so my fish should glow as long as they are healthy.
      It is because fat will bulk up fish faster than anything else. Koi food companies will use it in their “growth” foods. Is it the right thing to do? No, but they do it because a food that has claims to bulk up your Koi is easier to sell. Many, many of the Koi, in Japan, that are bulked up and grown very quickly die an early death.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I found a good food with a bit less fat and very happy with it for this year
      It is comparable to saki hikari but a bit affordable for the wallet
      M.Nguyen

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      I found a good food with a bit less fat and very happy with it for this year
      It is comparable to saki hikari but a bit affordable for the wallet
      What did Tom sell you?

JPD food has between 6% to 8% fat.

BTW, I need to quit eating that Korean BBQ. All that fat can't be good for older human.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

What did Tom sell you?

JPD food has between 6% to 8% fat.

BTW, I need to quit eating that Korean BBQ. All that fat can't be good for older human.
      Mixing shori hisilk21 S/S build up and zakura health
      The bbq can’t get enough man
      M.Nguyen

SeaSideAquatics LLC is offline Supporting Member
      is always working

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sea Side Aquatics Premium Koi Food made by Hai Feng, they have been in business for 30+ years.

But I never said our is better than other brands, however I can say that our food is good for all level of koi hobbyist and its at reasonable price.

This is the link to order

https://seasideaquatics.com/pond/

Sea Side Aquatics, LLC
      1332 S Claudina Street
      Anaheim, CA 92805
      www.SeaSideAquatics.com/pond

MovingTarget is offline Senior Member
      is Is tired of dealing with sick
      fish

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      It is because fat will bulk up fish faster than anything else. Koi food companies will use it in their “growth” foods. Is it the right thing to do? No, but they do it because a food that has claims to bulk up your Koi is easier to sell. Many, many of the Koi, in Japan, that are bulked up and grown very quickly die an early death.
      I don’t know man, are you suggesting that using this food means your koi will die an early death? “Many, many of the koi in Japan”? Have died an early death because of quick grow food?? I’ve never heard that and doubt it’s true. Seems to me food with quality ingredients that has high absorption would help their health. Where are you getting this information for these claims?

I’m merely saying I saw unexpected dramatic results with my fish and pond. I’m excited with what I’ve seen and found my new food. I’m not saying other food isn’t good and certainly not trying to scare anyone to prove my point.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MovingTarget View Post
      I don’t know man, are you suggesting that using this food means your koi will die an early death? “Many, many of the koi in Japan”? Have died an early death because of quick grow food?? I’ve never heard that and doubt it’s true. Seems to me food with quality ingredients that has high absorption would help their health. Where are you getting this information for these claims?

I’m merely saying I saw unexpected dramatic results with my fish and pond. I’m excited with what I’ve seen and found my new food. I’m not saying other food isn’t good and certainly not trying to scare anyone to prove my point.
      So, because you haven’t heard it it isn’t true? We have not seen before and after pics of your fish to see if what you are saying is even true. I sell high quality fish and a lot of people say things like, “ I have one just like that” and they don’t. They honestly believe they do, but they don’t. I believe you don’t know enough about Koi and Koi food to make an honest appraisal of what you are seeing in the fish and food. Many hobbyists have started to stop using it because their Koi are just getting too fat.
      The information I get from Koi dying from being grown too fast are from the breeders in Japan that do this to Koi to win at shows so that it generates more sales. Winning shows equates to Koi sales. The fish grow too fast, get fatty liver disease and/or just become too big too fast and their organs can not handle it. Will the average hobbyist be able to do the same thing to their Koi as quickly or even at all? Probably not. I am in the opinion that high fat content is not good for anything, including people, that do not need it. Koi two years and older just do not benefit, health wise, from high fat content. They just get bigger faster. The reason being is that Koi bulk up by storing fat.
      You are also implying I am trying to scare people. No, everything I have said is true, whether you know it or not, and I believe people should know what can happen to their Koi by understanding what they feed.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 09-16-2019 at 10:38 AM.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

fish

Feeling:
      ----

So, because you haven’t heard it it isn’t true? We have not seen before and after pics of your fish to see if what you are saying is even true. I sell high quality fish and a lot of people say things like, “ I have one just like that” and they don’t. They honestly believe they do, but they don’t. I believe you don’t know enough about Koi and Koi food to make an honest appraisal of what you are seeing in the fish and food. Many hobbyists have started to stop using it because their Koi are just getting too fat.
      The information I get from Koi dying from being grown too fast are from the breeders in Japan that do this to Koi to win at shows so that it generates more sales. Winning shows equates to Koi sales. The fish grow too fast, get fatty liver disease and/or just become too big too fast and their organs can not handle it. Will the average hobbyist be able to do the same thing to their Koi as quickly or even at all? Probably not. I am in the opinion that high fat content is not good for anything, including people, that do not need it. Koi two years and older just do not benefit, health wise, from high fat content. They just get bigger faster. The reason being is that Koi bulk up by storing fat.
      You are also implying I am trying to scare people. No, everything I have said is true, whether you know it or not, and I believe people should know what can happen to their Koi by understanding what they feed.

No, because this is the first time I'm hearing that I'm not taking it as the truth and I've tried to read a lot to educate myself so I could choose a good food. I've only ever read how high quality food improves the health of the fish and keeps your pond in good shape. I don't know what you're saying is true or not but based on what I've read so far, it doesn't line up in my opinion. I've seen many solutions and opinions on here that are in contradiction. Leading me to believe there isn't one right answer.

"I believe you don’t know enough about Koi and Koi food to make an honest appraisal of what you are seeing in the fish and food.", well it's true I'm a hobbyist and am doing my best to learn. However, my "honest" appraisal is that I've tried, meaning bought a big bags of different food and observed the results over several seasons. The most dramatic results I've seen came from using this food. This forum is FULL of people giving their opinions and sharing what's worked for them. Okay, I didn't take before and after pictures, so what? I'm sharing my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't appreciate you down playing what I've seen and saying I don't know what I'm talking about and you sell high quality fish so you can put me in my place. All that said, you might be right, and you might not be. I asked where you got your information so I could read more about this point of view (which is all it is as you've not given citations or any supporting evidence beyond just implying this food will shorten the life of your fish), which is no more evidence that I provided. Again, it's an opinion and one person's experience. The point of me reporting back on my experience was to say "hey guys, I was considering these two foods and this one worked really well for me!" I take your post as saying, "this guys doesn't know what he's talking about and it will kill your fish" "don't question my authority". Differing opinions are fine but again, if I'm wrong I would sure like to learn more and I'm assuming others might be looking for a good food, and I really believe this food is a great choice.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No, because this is the first time I'm hearing that I'm not taking it as the truth and I've tried to read a lot to educate myself so I could choose a good food. I've only ever read how high quality food improves the health of the fish and keeps your pond in good shape. I don't know what you're saying is true or not but based on what I've read so far, it doesn't line up in my opinion. I've seen many solutions and opinions on here that are in contradiction. Leading me to believe there isn't one right answer.

"I believe you don’t know enough about Koi and Koi food to make an honest appraisal of what you are seeing in the fish and food.", well it's true I'm a hobbyist and am doing my best to learn. However, my "honest" appraisal is that I've tried, meaning bought a big bags of different food and observed the results over several seasons. The most dramatic results I've seen came from using this food. This forum is FULL of people giving their opinions and sharing what's worked for them. Okay, I didn't take before and after pictures, so what? I'm sharing my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't appreciate you down playing what I've seen and saying I don't know what I'm talking about and you sell high quality fish so you can put me in my place. All that said, you might be right, and you might not be. I asked where you got your information so I could read more about this point of view (which is all it is as you've not given citations or any supporting evidence beyond just implying this food will shorten the life of your fish), which is no more evidence that I provided. Again, it's an opinion and one person's experience. The point of me reporting back on my experience was to say "hey guys, I was considering these two foods and this one worked really well for me!" I take your post as saying, "this guys doesn't know what he's talking about and it will kill your fish" "don't question my authority". Differing opinions are fine but again, if I'm wrong I would sure like to learn more and I'm assuming others might be looking for a good food, and I really believe this food is a great choice.

I am not down playing what you are saying, I am just saying you don’t know what you are talking about. There is a difference. You will not find anything to read about this, it does not exist, and you can believe me or not. I really don’t care. All you will find is what Koi food companies say about their food to sell it and they will tell you whatever sounds best to sell the food. I am telling you, as I said before but you seemed to gloss over, that breeders in Japan, the people who really have the most experience, are the ones I got my information from. They are the ones that have told me that too much protein all year and too much fat causes problems with the organs of Koi and when they push Koi for growth they tend to get sick and die. These are facts and I have seen it. I also said that the average hobbyist probably would never feed enough to do this but, none the less, too much fat is still not good for Koi.

BTW, reading that high quality food improves the health of your fish and keeps your pond in good shape is not the truth either. Good filtration and water quality are the only things that will keep your pond in good shape and I feed an inexpensive good food to most of my Koi and they tend to be very healthy.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 09-16-2019 at 03:30 PM.

fish

Feeling:
      ----

I am not down playing what you are saying, I am just saying you don’t know what you are talking about. There is a difference. You will not find anything to read about this, it does not exist, and you can believe me or not. I really don’t care. All you will find is what Koi food companies say about their food to sell it and they will tell you whatever sounds best to sell the food. I am telling you, as I said before but you seemed to gloss over, that breeders in Japan, the people who really have the most experience, are the ones I got my information from. They are the ones that have told me that too much protein all year and too much fat causes problems with the organs of Koi and when they push Koi for growth they tend to get sick and die. These are facts and I have seen it. I also said that the average hobbyist probably would never feed enough to do this but, none the less, too much fat is still not good for Koi.

BTW, reading that high quality food improves the health of your fish and keeps your pond in good shape is not the truth either. Good filtration and water quality are the only things that will keep your pond in good shape and I feed an inexpensive good food to most of my Koi and they tend to be very healthy.

Perfect, thanks
      Name:  JackNicholson.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  20.3 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Besides percentage of fat, the total amount of food consumed can arguably have a bigger impact on the outcome. It you feed two or three times a day, you are not pushing for growth like the pros. Breeders can feed upward of 10+ times a day during growing season (or for fish in heated pond) to produce jumbo tosai, 60cm nisai and koi show contenders. I don't even bother reading the label on koi food bag because the numbers are inconsequential in my situation. I will do my homework when I start feeding more than 5 times a day.

fish

Feeling:
      ----

Besides percentage of fat, the total amount of food consumed can arguably have a bigger impact on the outcome. It you feed two or three times a day, you are not pushing for growth like the pros. Breeders can feed upward of 10+ times a day during growing season (or for fish in heated pond) to produce jumbo tosai, 60cm nisai and koi show contenders. I don't even bother reading the label on koi food bag because the numbers are inconsequential in my situation. I will do my homework when I start feeding more than 5 times a day.
      Very good point. Since everything warmed up this summer, I do 5+ times a day.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very good point. Since everything warmed up this summer, I do 5+ times a day.
      Just want to add that my fish are on wheat germ food most of the year. Two to three months of growth food during the warmest months is unlikely to ruin them.

fish

Feeling:
      ----

Just want to add that my fish are on wheat germ food most of the year. Two to three months of growth food during the warmest months is unlikely to ruin them.
      Mine are on no food for almost half the year and I’m not remotely worried about the growth food. I personally believe in using high quality food because I’ve seen the impact it has made to my aquarium fish and have seen excellent results from using it with my koi.

Headache is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In my 20+ Yrs in this Hobby I can't tell you how many times I've heard, seen, etc. the comparisons between what People eat & Koi eat. I understand we eat differently than a Koi, not my point.

My Point: If I wanted to personally gain 25lbs in the shortest amount of time, would I eat Healthy or eat Junk Food? I'll let you guys knock that around awhile, I'll check back later.
      Member : Louisville Koi & Goldfish Society (President), NMZNA (Regional Representative) & Gateway Koi Club

Member : AKJA Senior Certified Judge & Committee Member

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12