• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Hand spawning question

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Hand spawning question

I got everything ready, I laid out the spawning mats and injected the male and female with Ovaprim at 10 am 4/11/2019. The injection procedure went as planned as I injected both male and female under the vent fin. They did not spawn until the following morning at 10 am 4/12/2019. When I saw them being active, I started gathering and preparing the knock out bath, two bowls greased with vaseline, 10 to 1 milk to water, gallon of extra water, and rubber mixing brush. About 15 minutes into the spawn I notice a little egg on the spawning brushes, so I took the female out and sedated her. However,although everything was laid out perfectly, the eggs in her stomach did not flow out? I immediately put her back in with the male. I was wondering if anyone read or experienced anything like this before?
      Last edited by Roger; 04-12-2019 at 05:59 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Did you wait till you could see a good amount of eggs coming out of her during their courtship.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Hmm, you got me. I've never tried what you are talking about. The closest thing to that that I have seen is when a small female started an unplanned spawn, laying eggs in my main pond with over a dozen much larger males. After I netted her out for her safety, she continued laying the rest of her eggs by herself in a tub over several hours. So maybe your female will pick up where she left off when the sedative wears off, we'll see ...

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I saw some eggs, but not a whole lot. I should have checked if the eggs were free flowing before I sedated the female. Its been two hours since I put the female back in with the male. They are going at it again, but I do not see a lot of eggs yet. They seem to be tired already, but hardly any eggs came out, the female is still fat. I wanted to try out my egg hatcher, not sure whats up with the female at this point in time.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Let nature do it's thing and try and keep up water quality since you mentioned they look tired they will know what to do, next turn around for your tumbler.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I saw a lot of eggs on the bottom of tank, but there were hardly any eggs on the spawning brushes. I think this female has issues after failing last years spawn attempt. The female measured 23 inches and the male measured 27 inches. I took the pair out and placed them in a holding tank. The female is still fat and eggs don't flow out freely when squeezed. I'll give the eggs on the bottom three days to hatch, before terminating project. I'll try to hand spawn another pair in May.

Name:  DSCN0927.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  DSCN0924.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  113.7 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 04-13-2019 at 01:05 AM.

niceshowa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
      I got everything ready, I laid out the spawning mats and injected the male and female with Ovaprim at 10 am 4/11/2019. The injection procedure went as planned as I injected both male and female under the vent fin. They did not spawn until the following morning at 10 am 4/12/2019. When I saw them being active, I started gathering and preparing the knock out bath, two bowls greased with vaseline, 10 to 1 milk to water, gallon of extra water, and rubber mixing brush. About 15 minutes into the spawn I notice a little egg on the spawning brushes, so I took the female out and sedated her. However,although everything was laid out perfectly, the eggs in her stomach did not flow out? I immediately put her back in with the male. I was wondering if anyone read or experienced anything like this before?
      Never done hand spawning but I believe you need to leave them to spawn naturally for over an hour before sedating. Good luck hope this helps.

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good luck ! Rodger

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

The eggs that came out while they were going at it did not hatch. The eggs on the sides of tank look like goo, it was probably last years eggs being reabsorbed. I'll try again in May or June with females that dropped their eggs last year, so it should play out as I envision.

I made some modifications to my fry tank. I drilled 1/4 inch holes on a one inch pvc pipe with an end cap and sized it to my coarse sponge filters. I will use this for the drain outlet going into my bio trash bin. Three one inch drain holes maybe able to handle a 900 gal per hour pump. The coarse sponge filters doesn't clog like the finer ones and it should do a better job keeping the tiny fry from being sucked in.

I got rid of the gravel.
      Last edited by Roger; 04-20-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

The eggs that came out while they were going at it did not hatch. The eggs on the sides of tank look like goo, it was probably last years eggs being reabsorbed. I'll try again in May or June with females that dropped their eggs last year, so it should play out as I envision.
      Wow, year-old bad eggs getting laid. That's a new one on me. Hope your next round goes well.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

niceshowa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I made some modifications to my fry tank. I drilled 1/4 inch holes on a one inch pvc pipe with an end cap and sized it to my coarse sponge filters. I will use this for the drain outlet going into my bio trash bin. Three one inch drain holes maybe able to handle a 900 gal per hour pump. The coarse sponge filters doesn't clog like the finer ones and it should do a better job keeping the tiny fry from being sucked in.

I got rid of the gravel.
      Try one of these I use them on a filter to catch the crap work great I got two so one can be clean and ready to swap over, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...72.m2749.l2649

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by niceshowa View Post
      Try one of these I use them on a filter to catch the crap work great I got two so one can be clean and ready to swap over, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...72.m2749.l2649
      They don't sell that in the USA?

lovin_chevy84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’ve done the same but not to the extreme like Vaseline but I let mine go for about 20-30mins and was fine w the egg flow. Maybe next time let them go longer? I never injected but I would take my girls away into their own pool and wait till their tummy got to a certain softness then they would get put w the boy in a whole different pool and they would normally go within 24-36hrs.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by lovin_chevy84 View Post
      I’ve done the same but not to the extreme like Vaseline but I let mine go for about 20-30mins and was fine w the egg flow. Maybe next time let them go longer? I never injected but I would take my girls away into their own pool and wait till their tummy got to a certain softness then they would get put w the boy in a whole different pool and they would normally go within 24-36hrs.
      Hello, so you wait until the female's stomach get soft, is there a noticeable difference? At this point in time, I was only looking at how fat they were, maybe I should start feeling them. I won't use ovaprim anymore.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007