• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: For Those That Don't Fast...

JapaneseFamousKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

For Those That Don't Fast...

For the sake of avoiding argument, I probably won't be replying to this thread but thought I'd share...

I was reading through an old Japanese ZNA magazine and according to an article, it said that fasting Koi over the winter is a necessity, and will make them healthier & their internal organs stronger. This is because Koi are supposed to experience the four seasons in a year.

A lot of hobbyists feel bad about not feeding their Koi when they're active & appear hungry but it's almost impossible to starve a cold water fish to death.
      In the same article it said that there was a case of a highly prized Koi that got an internal bacterial infection and it was fasted for over a year! Later this Koi won Grand Champion at the All Japan Koi Show.

Not feeding for a week or two wouldn't be considered a fast for Koi...that's more like a break lol.

Think of it like this. If you shut off your pump throughout the winter VS running it all year long...which do you think will last longer?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

CALHOUN is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I live in Michigan, so by November I'm done feeding and usually cant start again till sometime in late April. I do cover the pond and keep everything running, just slow down the pumps. Water will stay around 40 deg in the dead winter. Not sure if its the filtration or having everything running but the fish are active all winter. As soon as they see me they come looking to be feed! Feel bad not feeding them. My old pond I would let freeze over and just keep a hole in the ice. Those fish would just lay on the bottom till the water warmed up. I also was told the 4 seasons is very important for the koi, I've noticed that the beni plates will fill back in during the winter when it gets stretched from heavy feeding in the summer.
      Last edited by CALHOUN; 03-11-2020 at 09:02 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007