• Tired

Thread: RATS! Question on product

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

RATS! Question on product

Yes, still battling rats around the pond. There are holes all over the place. I was 5inking about using these sulphur based smoke bombs, but obviously since it’s so close to the pond, I am a little worried. Although, supposedly, most of the smoke should be underground, if I seal all of the holes correctly. I would also cover waterfall, so any possible smoke residue wouldn’t go in there. What do you think?

https://smile.amazon.com/Amdro-Gophe...ustomerReviews

Thanks!

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I found this online.. best way to remove gophers

https://youtu.be/SJxzgFgDdWI. 11millions views

warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have rats, not gophers. Thanks anyway!

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Asagibottom is offline Senior Member
      is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Why are the rats attracted to your pond?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen365 View Post
      I found this online.. best way to remove gophers

https://youtu.be/SJxzgFgDdWI. 11millions views
      Ohh. Nvm I saw your link and it had a gopher image on the product...

At work, they had aluminum rectangular boxes with some form of rat poison.
      Thank goodness I dont have rats, I have toads

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by nmtsaki View Post
      I have rats, not gophers. Thanks anyway!
      You realize the product you are asking about is for gophers?

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

To answer your question, yes they will kill rats, and kill skunks also.

When you fire one up it gets very hot. I would make sure you find a hole the furthest from the liner. Plug all the holes you see and have a bucket of dirt ready when the smoke starts to come out of a hole you might have missed. Have a broom, or BB gun handy if some try to scatter on you. Play the wind.

I am sure there are a few youtube videos on this product that might help give you some ideas.

Good luck

Good luck

KOIAnon is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There's a food source keeping them around.

warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

They are attracted to the water and a warm place for the winter. Our city is overrun with them also, so it’s difficult to get rid of them. I just want to get rid of the ones that are living underneath my waterfall box. I’m worried that one day it’s going to collapse.

Favorite Quotes:

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I drill a hole in one end of a coffee container and put poison in it for them to eat When they are hungry .

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I've used those smoke bombs on moles and they didn't do squat. I tried traps too and never had any luck.
      The one thing that worked on my moles was poison placed in their underground runs. I wonder if something
      similar would work for the rats if they have underground paths.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Asagibottom is offline Senior Member
      is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Moles eat grubs and stick around if grubs are present or in abundance. I’m sure the rats like warmth and water but they are there for food... so what are they eating?

warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Most likely bird food and garbage. Not in my yard, but most of my neighbors feed them. I now have a dog who puts everything in his mouth, so prefer not to use poison. I’m sure he would find any rat that dragged himself into the yard after ingesting the poison. I was really hoping to just make their holes stink to high heaven, and they could move elsewhere. I’ve had good success with electronic rat zappers, but after awhile, killing so many rats is disheartening. I’ve also had the misfortune of killing larger hungry squirrels with it too. They shouldn’t fit, but must be so hungry they squeezed in and got stuck (use those in the winter when the rats are prevalent under the cover).

Favorite Quotes:

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I've used those smoke bombs on moles and they didn't do squat. I tried traps too and never had any luck.
      The one thing that worked on my moles was poison placed in their underground runs. I wonder if something
      similar would work for the rats if they have underground paths.
      Ditto on not doing squat. We've got chipmunks and moles making a mess of our flower beds and tunneling under our walkways at the house. I stuck a couple of those bombs down the holes, followed the directions, came back out and they had kicked them out of the runs.
      Our dog Kiwi is an excellent mole hunter but not so much with the chipmunks.
      Wish I had suggestions for rat removal but I'm afraid I don't. All I can say is save your money and don't spend it on the bombs.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Living in a rural area surrounded by forests and nearby crop fields, and feeding hounds and chickens, we periodically put down poison any time we notice any mice or rats. It is not a choice, it is a must in the country with animals.

I prefer to use the poison that has warfarin (the blood thinner to prevent clots in people) in it. If a dog gets to it, it is reversable with vitamin K, but a dog would require more than one dose or a large amount to hurt them, so it is safer than those that say one bite.

We put the poison in a place that is unaccesable to the dogs, and most other criters. This could be things like a central heating and cooling unit especially if it sits on a concrete pad, just place pellets under it. Under buildings, porches, and anything else that a dog cannot dig to get at them. I have even used things like a pipe, that cannot be moved by a dog.

When feeding to kill mice and rats, keep the food there for them untill they are all gone, and the pellets remain.

Poison is the only way to get rid of these varmits or they will totally over run you and destroy your property.
      Nancy

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

msegger is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

on the farm, I live trapped them and left the expired ones out on their runs for a while. They are very smarted and eventually moved out. I had two dogs that loved catching them. I also did night hunting with an air rifle and a flash light. Just some ideas.

warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

My avatar, Gigi, was a great ratter. She killed well over a dozen rats one year; she would drop them on the patio, to show me. I think one of the dogs in the video is a greyhound mix. Unfortunately, I think mink don’t mix with koi.

Favorite Quotes:

warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Illegal to discharge any firearms in the city that I live in. Rats carry so many diseases, I don’t want my dog going after them. I couldn’t really stop Gigi, she was very fast. Bear is trying, sniffing at their holes, but since he took a dip in the pond today, I can’t let him in the fenced in area.
      Quote Originally Posted by msegger View Post
      on the farm, I live trapped them and left the expired ones out on their runs for a while. They are very smarted and eventually moved out. I had two dogs that loved catching them. I also did night hunting with an air rifle and a flash light. Just some ideas.

Favorite Quotes:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007