• Tired
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruce's pond redo design & review

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

I love Zakki sieves , the best choice when You do direct suction . Your idea to do Zacci , pump , S&G filters , shower , is a great combination. It will give You RDF quality water. An advantage to feeding skimmer water to a Zacci , is that You can remove the skimmer basket , and let the Zacci catch everything. If You per chance will have larger leaves or other debris that the skimmer circuit picks up , ask Zac to make Your waste line 3". Sometimes those larger leaves are difficult to flush out the 2" waste line when back flushing.
      Speaking of skimmers , here's a neat skimmer guard that We made for an in wall skimmer recently , thanks to Ricshaw for finding this neat idea . Professional Ricshaw Model not included

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  239.6 KB
      Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1625
Size:  111.9 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by JGS107 View Post
      How are you feeding the shower from your sand and gravel filters. Sounds like they would have to be a lot higher for the gravity flow of the water to the shower.
      Make the S&G filter outlets 3" , so they will easily flow 2,000 ish GPH , and the S&G filters only need to be high enough so the 3" pipe dumps into the shower .

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Make the S&G filter outlets 3" , so they will easily flow 2,000 ish GPH , and the S&G filters only need to be high enough so the 3" pipe dumps into the shower .
      I agree. I'd also suggest a more powerful pump will be required. Pulling through the Zacci will lessen efficiency and pushing up to the top of the SG filters might be as high as 6 feet. Look at the curve. The pump will only provide around 4000gph if you're lucky. However.... Is 1300gph for each SG enough? Sure it is. In fact, at that slow flow rate, they'll trap finer particles. And depending on the total pond volume and fish load, and 3600-4000gph turnover might be just fine.

steve

bkillen is offline Senior Member
      is upgrading filters this spring

Feeling:
      Friendly

Cool skimmer plate.
      Here is my current setup. 3600ghp submersible pump > 2 S&G filters > small shower with both Cermedia and feather rock.
      The shower exits the bottom with 4" pipe. the waterfall weir is about the same height as the bottom of the shower tote. I may raise the S&G filters a bit when I redo but it will be similar.
      Name:  filters resized..jpg
Views: 700
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  filter-2-resized.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  113.6 KB

Steve, I am unsure on the pump myself, this will be my first out of water pump. Since it's just sitting there maybe I can start there and if it seems lacking, replace it down the road? Birdman suggested a 3rd filter, makes sense to me. The koi might not get as big as I want, but they aren't ever gonna get smaller.
      currently working on plans and budget for my next build.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ign-amp-review

Jaymeseywaymsey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

At some point, the cost of a ZS, and multiple S/G filters puts you close to the price of an entry level RDF. The Draco Solum 16 will flow the same as a small ZS and retails for $2025. The ZS is $1300 plus the cost to build, and plumb 3 separate S/G filters (+/- $400). You would also get the same flow with a smaller pump since you don’t have the added head of the S/G filters, thus saving money monthly. Add in the fact you won’t have to do weekly cleanings and it really becomes a very small price difference.

As far as a pit, you could fit a solum 16 and your pump in a 3’x3’ block pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymeseywaymsey View Post
      At some point, the cost of a ZS, and multiple S/G filters puts you close to the price of an entry level RDF. The Draco Solum 16 will flow the same as a small ZS and retails for $2025. The ZS is $1300 plus the cost to build, and plumb 3 separate S/G filters (+/- $400). You would also get the same flow with a smaller pump since you don’t have the added head of the S/G filters, thus saving money monthly. Add in the fact you won’t have to do weekly cleanings and it really becomes a very small price difference.

As far as a pit, you could fit a solum 16 and your pump in a 3’x3’ block pit.

Good job pointing that out James! These small DracoDrum Solum RDF's are so darn affordable that it easily catches up to the costs of other filtration options. The Solum 16 is only 24" wide x 21" long x 23" tall and has two 4" inlets and outlets, so like you said the filter pit could be very small. The only problem is that I can't keep the Solums in stock hahaha I am currently out but I should have a new shipment in a month or so.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Speaking of skimmers , here's a neat skimmer guard that We made for an in wall skimmer recently , thanks to Ricshaw for finding this neat idea . Professional Ricshaw Model not included

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  239.6 KB
      Professional model Ricshaw wants a couple custom skimmer guards for his skimmers.

year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

That looks like an interesting idea. I wonder how many of the pool skimmer faceplates are the same? Wouldn't it be nice if they were all a standard dimension?
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      That looks like an interesting idea. I wonder how many of the pool skimmer faceplates are the same? Wouldn't it be nice if they were all a standard dimension?
      They are not. I will post a picture of the template I made of Whisker's faceplate and the dimensions of the two faceplates I need.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Good job pointing that out James! These small DracoDrum Solum RDF's are so darn affordable that it easily catches up to the costs of other filtration options. The Solum 16 is only 24" wide x 21" long x 23" tall and has two 4" inlets and outlets, so like you said the filter pit could be very small. The only problem is that I can't keep the Solums in stock hahaha I am currently out but I should have a new shipment in a month or so.
      So it looks like the depth of a filter pit would not need to be much deeper than 24" below pond grade, with perhaps a lower chamber for waste? I will have to look and see if I can supply water to a Solum.
      there used to be water in my workshop but I removed the fixtures. I can't remember If I disconnected the feed at the house or just shut it off.
      If I needed to add a pressure pump instead what does that add to the cost? What is the cost of a Solum 24"?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The top of the Solum needs to be 18 cm above water level. As far as waste, it can be funneled into a lower chamber and pumped out, or you could run it directly to your sewer system. With the pond being at grade, you might have to get ingenious on waste disposal, but it’s a very shallow run.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The MSRP of the Solum is $2475, and will flow 6000 gph.

Feeling:
      Friendly

after considering feedback I am looking at a few options. Considering re-purposing some items while upgrading to bottom drains and skimmer. Just laying out the pros and cons in print to better see them. Anyone who has thoughts is welcome to chime in. I need to make a decision and start soon or I'm afraid I won't be able to wrap up before fall. I will be doing this myself and hiring help to assist with some parts.

Plan A
      Circuit 1
      2-3” bottom drains >>> Solum 16 RDF >>> external pump flowing approx. 4000gph >>> Shower >>> waterfall.

Circuit2
      Skimmer >>> 3000-2500 est. gph submersible pump >>> 2 existing S&G filters in parallel >>> Shower >>> waterfall (this is my current filter circuit except pump is in pond and no skimmer)

Pros: Separate circuit, less impact with any equipment failure, would still have some flow. RDF self-cleans, less daily maintenance.
      Higher flow rate with 2 pumps/circuits
      Con: need a basket in skimmer to keep debris out of submersible pump.
      It still requires a small filter pit.

Plan B
      Single circuit
      2 -3” bottom drains plus skimmer >>> Large Zakki Sieve >>> existing external pump flowing approx. 4000gph >>> 3 S&G filters in parallel (already have 2) >>> Shower >>>waterfall
      Pro: No filter pit required, above ground.
      Con: 3 S&G filters to clean, space, pump will require leaf basket for bypass mode.

Plan C
      Single circuit
      2 -3” bottom drains plus skimmer >>> Solum 25 RDF >>> existing external pump flowing approx. 4000gph >>> Shower >>> waterfall
      Pro: Simpler system, RDF self-cleans, less daily maintenance. Larger RDF could handle more flow by adding another external pump.
      Con: filter pit, costs slightly more than smaller RDF

rayrod2030 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Plan C

year

Feeling:
      Friendly

I like plan B
      A Zacci sieve and S&G filters will give RDF quality water .
      Removing the skimmer basket will let the Zacci sieve catch all the skimmer debris. Make sure to install a fish safe skimmer guard if removing the skimmer basket .
      Zac rates His 24" sieve at 9500 GPH , but the installs that I've done are flowing as much as 12,000 GPH ,
      so increase the pump size if plan B to get the max out of it. If using the multiple S&G filters , then flow 2,000 GPH each.
      Also , recommend that You have Zac install a 3" waste outlet in order to flush out leaves easier.

Feeling:
      Friendly

I've been looking at other builds and it seems the ones that I like often start with a sieve then to a RDF or S&G. In the meantime I was able to get some budget things straightened out, so I am going with plan B (Zakki sieve) and if the S&G filters become too much work down the road I may add RDF later.

bdel01 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

as a zakki sieve owner i would do C. I think RDF is the way to go! I am also considering an RDF myself. If you are starting fresh just do gravity flow rdf-uv-shower. I would do zero SG filters or any pump fed design. Again coming from someone who is pump fed already
      best
      -ben

Feeling:
      Friendly

I can see the advantages of RDF, but I don't have a good location for a filter pit. If I may ask, what do you think the RDF will do better than the Zakki? Or is the elimination of the S&G filter maintenance the chief benefit?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

RDF for the win. I cannot recommend them enough. There is nothing about my pond that is a chore. The only things I need to do is keep the feeder full of food and enjoy the Koi.

The RDF and the Shower are maintenance free. With any other mechanical filter you will always be a slave to the pond. Want to take that 2 week vacation you will be looking for someone that can come backwash the S/G and clean the sieve.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast