• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Water changes, maybe batch processing pp?

JohnJ is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Water changes, maybe batch processing pp?

I’m almost done planning a 30k ish pond. I’m on a residential lot and my water bill can get up there. I’m not supposed to have a shallow well even though that would be the best solution and I might just dare someone to catch me “oh that pump and pipe is for the pond”. 15% of 30k is 4500 per week or an additional $100 on the water bill.

I’m considering using the irrigation water supply,

or building a side tank to filter with pp at a concentration I wouldn’t risk with the koi present but enough to hopefully reset the water. I do understand it’s a subtractive process and I’d have to have a way to reconstitute trace minerals anyway as they’re depleted.

Even if the pp solution isn’t a silver bullet, could it augment my need for water changes?

Koi are currently kept on my other property with a near greenhouse level well in a 5k tank. They’re water is turned over every few days lol. I’m going to miss that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is a large fish pond. Water exchange rates should be determined by fish stocking and feeding rates. If you are not going to push the limits of a pond this large no need for a high weekly exchange rate.

Best information for treating pond water with PP and reuse are on Dr. Roddy Conrad's threads.

This is one of many.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ance-practices
      Last edited by batman; 11-19-2019 at 10:24 AM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I am not an expert on what PP will convert. Questions I have asked in the past about nitrate removal were answered PP will not remove or breakdown. Not sure about phosphorus compounds and PP reactions. Other organic pathogens it should oxidize. I'd get an water experts opinion on how safe irrigation water is in your district
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
      This is a large fish pond. Water exchange rates should be determined by fish stocking and feeding rates. If you are not going to push the limits of a pond this large no need for a high weekly exchange rate.

Best information for treating pond water with PP and reuse are on Dr. Roddy Conrad's threads.

This is one of many.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...ance-practices
      Ty, yes I’ll eventually be stocking even that much water heavily. I know how to calculate fish weight and derive feeding levels. I’m currently feeding about 2-2.5 lbs a day. I could see in this future pond feeding as high as 20 lbs. I’m intending to run two max size rdf’s and 30+ cu ft of rio type media. The mechanical and bio will be sound for load, but I worry about the almost mythical horemones or whatever. I can always add minerals and I was even toying with the idea of running nft gardens to knock down nitrates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
      Ty, yes I’ll eventually be stocking even that much water heavily. I know how to calculate fish weight and derive feeding levels. I’m currently feeding about 2-2.5 lbs a day. I could see in this future pond feeding as high as 20 lbs. I’m intending to run two max size rdf’s and 30+ cu ft of rio type media. The mechanical and bio will be sound for load, but I worry about the almost mythical horemones or whatever. I can always add minerals and I was even toying with the idea of running nft gardens to knock down nitrates.

That thread was perfect. I was thinking I needed to “isolate” batches of water to recondition and sterilize before putting it back in, but that seems like literal overkill given Roddys success with doing it in pond.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007