• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic media

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Ceramic media

All my ceramic media is breaking down. Rio has broke down. Even rods have broke down. Ceramic breaks down and water source etc plays a role.
      The rods are minimal. The rio sample was used for 1 year and getting mushy and not holding up
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by kevin32; 03-15-2019 at 11:15 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Not sure what it is but even after rdf my media is getting dirty a slimy film on it. Easy rinse and all is clean again. I'm starting to wonder if just all feather rock is better and just use more of it. Something about our water tends to break down the ceramic. I guess people in Florida have something special on there water

SeaSideAquatics LLC is offline Supporting Member
      is always working

Feeling:
      Awesome

You have the pictures of the RIO broke down ?

Love to see it.

Sea Side Aquatics, LLC
      1332 S Claudina Street
      Anaheim, CA 92805
      www.SeaSideAquatics.com/pond

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSideAquatics, LLC View Post
      You have the pictures of the RIO broke down ?

Love to see it.
      Sure

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Stick with feather rock is your best insurance and wear gloves
      M.Nguyen

MCAsan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If all the media is wearing down, then the flow rate is simply too great. Any ceramic media will erode like the Grand Canyon given enough time and water flow. So far my H1 media has done a much better job of surviving than the MP2C I tried years ago.

You could switch to plastic media such as a masala cartridge and put the ceramic media that is remaining into a container and make a de-nitrification unit out of it.
      Last edited by MCAsan; 03-17-2019 at 07:24 PM.

kwickcut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Not sure what it is but even after rdf my media is getting dirty a slimy film on it. Easy rinse and all is clean again. I'm starting to wonder if just all feather rock is better and just use more of it. Something about our water tends to break down the ceramic. I guess people in Florida have something special on there water
      that's because most rdfs on the market only filter down to 60 µm I really don't buy the theory that as the screen clogs it filters even better

kwick
      Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. - Benjamin Franklin.

you cant fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

All my ceramic media is breaking down. Rio has broke down. Even rods have broke down. Ceramic breaks down and water source etc plays a role.
      The rods are minimal. The rio sample was used for 1 year and getting mushy and not holding up
      I thought placing the media in randomly was better then uniform stacking. any truth to this?

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by kwickcut View Post
      I thought placing the media in randomly was better then uniform stacking. any truth to this?
      I stacked mine randomly and still clogged. Imo now the ceramic medians is a waste of $. I sent my concern to 2 people about rio media and got nothing back..if yoy can back the media then please reply. I dont think you will Haha

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I stacked mine randomly and still clogged. Imo now the ceramic medians is a waste of $. I sent my concern to 2 people about rio media and got nothing back..if yoy can back the media then please reply. I dont think you will Haha
      i would say no one will ever say that what they are selling in no good lol.

when i first seen the rio media in the square sheets i knew it would clog in the configuration most people use it in. as for the other ceramic media i am ok with it clogging if it is randomly installed. my thought is i am after the splashing of the water off the media and not really worried about the water passing through the media.

as for it deteriorating or braking down over time i think thats just part of the process.

even plastic brakes down in time. the nozzles i use for my rdf the tips thin out and need to be replaced every other year

kwick

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

that's because most rdfs on the market only filter down to 60 µm I really don't buy the theory that as the screen clogs it filters even better

kwick
      On the blue eco is seem the blow some waste back into the water column..the profidrum seemed to not do this and clean side of rdf stayed clean

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've been using Rio media since October 2018. So far so good, but premature to speculate further.
      Last edited by kimini; 03-18-2019 at 12:25 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
      If all the media is wearing down, then the flow rate is simply too great. Any ceramic media will erode like the Grand Canyon given enough time and water flow. So far my H1 media has done a much better job of surviving than the MP2C I tried years ago.

You could switch to plastic media such as a masala cartridge and put the ceramic media that is remaining into a container and make a de-nitrification unit out of it.
      Very true. I had crashing water over the media. I but all together I thought it was super hard and tough and held up well for 8 months. Then 3 months later was mush. I like water crashing into my media. But even my ceramic rods with slower flow have broke down a little on the outside and are 2 years old.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very true. I had crashing water over the media. I but all together I thought it was super hard and tough and held up well for 8 months. Then 3 months later was mush. I like water crashing into my media. But even my ceramic rods with slower flow have broke down a little on the outside and are 2 years old.
      are you saying the rio turned to mush like the old MP2C does?

and the rods are also turning to mush on the outside? or is it just reducing in size?

who is the manufacturer of the rods?

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

and the rods are also turning to mush on the outside? or is it just reducing in size?

The rods have lost some of the surface but minimal. I had cermedia break down and still have a pile of it. It is a shame to buy media and watch it break down. I can get feather rock for so cheap here. I do like ceramic media to remove nitrates . But it has broken down for me.

The rods are some Chinese brand media. Has been pretty good

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Kevin has ONE 2" x 2" x 2" sample block that was given out at a koi show last year. Time will tell if there is actually a problem with this media for some people but it seems a bit early to make that assumption. You have already made your opinion known that you do not like this media (which is just fine because i don't like a lot of things also), but please don't jump ahead of yourself here and stir up a bunch of fear over one block reducing in size. It is quite possible that the single block mixed in with a bunch of round rods is moving around under the heavy spray of water and that is causing the erosion? Maybe the chemical interaction between the two different types of ceramic is causing an issue? If other users of Rio Media are having a similar issue then I encourage them to come forward and share their experience. I don't want to be accused of trying to hide any information just because I am a dealer of this media. I AM NOT THE MANUFACTURER/DISTRIBUTOR, just like I was not for Cermedia. I simply use it as a filter media in my filters. Rio Media is still quite new in the market, but I will be very upset if I switched to a replacement media and it also turns to mush.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I’m a big fan of rods
      Hey Kevin I ran into a local landscape yard with super large feather rocks for sculptures /waterfalls
      But they want 50cents a pound plus tax
      I rather stick with the rods and don’t get my hand cut
      The rods would outlast me definitely
      The only thing I might worries is China like to mix things in their stuffs
      So don’t know if my koi can develop sides effects
      What else is made in US of A?
      M.Nguyen

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Kevin has ONE 2" x 2" x 2" sample block that was given out at a koi show last year. Time will tell if there is actually a problem with this media for some people but it seems a bit early to make that assumption. You have already made your opinion known that you do not like this media (which is just fine because i don't like a lot of things also), but please don't jump ahead of yourself here and stir up a bunch of fear over one block reducing in size. It is quite possible that the single block mixed in with a bunch of round rods is moving around under the heavy spray of water and that is causing the erosion? Maybe the chemical interaction between the two different types of ceramic is causing an issue? If other users of Rio Media are having a similar issue then I encourage them to come forward and share their experience. I don't want to be accused of trying to hide any information just because I am a dealer of this media. I AM NOT THE MANUFACTURER/DISTRIBUTOR, just like I was not for Cermedia. I simply use it as a filter media in my filters. Rio Media is still quite new in the market, but I will be very upset if I switched to a replacement media and it also turns to mush.
      For what it is worth (maybe nothing) RIO Ceramic Media is ISO 9001.
      ISO 9001 is an international standard for implementing a quality management system, and is maintained by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). As such, it is intended to be useable by any organization, service or manufacturing, in any industry sector.
      Wikipedia — AS9100

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, it is meant to be stacked randomly. Any place the media touches another (with any static media) it is prone to collect mulm. When you stack it randomly, it minimizes this.
      You want the water to follow different paths as it courses over the media. You get far more contact time randomly stacking. The more contact time, the better it functions.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Kevin has ONE 2" x 2" x 2" sample block that was given out at a koi show last year. Time will tell if there is actually a problem with this media for some people but it seems a bit early to make that assumption. 1)You have already made your opinion known that you do not like this media (which is just fine because i don't like a lot of things also), but 2) please don't jump ahead of yourself here and stir up a bunch of fear over one block reducing in size. It is quite possible that the single block mixed in with a bunch of round rods is moving around under the heavy spray of water and that is causing the erosion? Maybe the chemical interaction between the two different types of ceramic is causing an issue? If other users of Rio Media are having a similar issue then I encourage them to come forward and share their experience. 3) I don't want to be accused of trying to hide any information just because I am a dealer of this media. 4) I AM NOT THE MANUFACTURER/DISTRIBUTOR, just like I was not for Cermedia. I simply use it as a filter media in my filters. Rio Media is still quite new in the market, but I will be very upset if I switched to a replacement media and it also turns to mush.
      1) lets set the record straight, i have nothing against this media. this media is not unlike other ceramic media on the market outside of the shape and the way it is being used. the problem i have is the way it is stacked in a column. most rdf on the market today are using a screen of 70 micron. i have seen first hand on 2 different systems the debris that ends up in the shower after an extended period of time when feeding heavy.

2) i am not stirring anything i simply asked a question, perhaps you are reading to much into what was asked.

3) its hard to be accused of anything when no one mentioned you or your company.

4) no one ever said you were the manufacture of either media.

if we are not able to ask questions that are relevant to what was originally posted, why bother having a forum to discuss whatever topic was posted.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast