• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Water Change And Cleaning Help

mkiv4ever is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Water Change And Cleaning Help

I have my fry in two different 200 gallon tanks with water filled only half way. I took about half of my water hycinths out after the eggs hatched but noticed that the floor of the tanks were really dirty with all the roots of the hyacinths floating around and dead leaves. How do you guys clean that up with hurting the fry or destroying them. I have four 8" airstones in there only and no filter. Do you guys have a filter, if you do how do you clean the bigger debris without destroying the fry.

Also when you guys do a water change how much water do you change and how often are the water changes. I plan on doing only once a week.

Thanks

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

elduderino is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

First, an ammonia test kit will help. Monitor it. If there is ammonia, you must do a water change. Change as much as you can, 90%+ if you can. I'd remove the hyacinths, because they won't help the ammonia situation. Because you have two tanks, it's much easier. Just remove all the fry with a fine-mesh net, and put them in one tank. Completely drain, de-chlor, and fill.

Move all the fry to the "new" tank, and do the same in the other. Once a week might not be enough at this stage. Also, do this asap. Airstones are good. With daily water changes (or every other day), you don't need a filter.

hope that helps.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for your help. I have so many fry (in the thousands) so moving them all into one tank will be pretty stressful i think. What i ended up doing in my last water change was take a ladys stocking and put a small pump in it and put it in the pond, took out about 75% of the water out and put in new water (declorinated) and same for the other. I still have some water hyacinths in there and will be completely removing all of them, i still have some eggs that havent hatched yet thats why i havent completely removed all of it. All the crap that gets settled in the bottom i scoop up with a fine mesh net and dump it into another smaller tank (about 20 gallons) and try to pick out all the fry that got caught along with the debris and put them back in the bigger tank. But this process takes forever. And the fry is only about 1/2" long. I have three other tanks full of water that i poured declorinated water into which i use for the water change. Is this ok. I think i will do a water change about 3 times a week. Generally every other day.

Also i have a 6ml plastic completely covered over the top, should i remove it, take into consideration that i live in the northwest so it stays pretty cold around here. Do you guys have a heater in your tanks aswell.

Thanks guys for the information.
      Alvin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Also just out of curiosity has anyone every tried to put a smaller version of the 55 gallon filter like the 5 gallon version and put a small submersible that pumps the water in the tank and out again using regular filter media like scrub pads.

Thanks

Koijazz is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I use a corner filter covered with a nylon until the fry are stronger. You only have to change the charcoal and wool every other week. If the debris is not to big, you can take a straw and cover the top and place it right over the debris. Uncover the top and it's sucked up. I don't know if it will work if the straw's entirely under water though.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koijazz View Post
      I use a corner filter covered with a nylon until the fry are stronger. You only have to change the charcoal and wool every other week. If the debris is not to big, you can take a straw and cover the top and place it right over the debris. Uncover the top and it's sucked up. I don't know if it will work if the straw's entirely under water though.

Are you talking about this type of filter.

Koijazz is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I mean the old fashion kind, like the one at this website. http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aqu...nerfilter.html It even mentions that they're used now a days in fry aquariums. When you buy the charcoal, just make sure it's not so small that it gets out. For the wool, I use the filler cotton stuff you use for crafts because we have tons of it already.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for that information but really my main concern is to collect and get rid of the debris that settles on the bottom of the tanks. They are dead leaves and bits and pieces of the plant debris in there. I will try to keep eliminating the plants as the eggs hatch. Do you guys think i should leave some plants in there for them to hide.

Also has anyone on here used wet/dry shop vacs as a pond vacuum.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007