• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pattern...Hi on face or fins

Dan Blatt is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve - regarding the hi in the pectoral helping to balance the wrapped beni on the other side - post 19 - the kohaku?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

schildkoi is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes Dan?

Take away the beni in that pec and the Koi seems to "tilt" to the heavier beni side of the Koi. With that little bit of beni in the pec, it helps to "anchor" that side and gives the appearance of holding the Koi upright...figuratively of course.

As I am writing this I just had to chuckle....at myself. I remeber how "lame" art critics could sound when discussing paintings in movies.....Now I read what I am writing and I think I am beginning to sound the same way! LOL

Steve

danm is offline Master Bug Photographer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi
      Take away the beni in that pec and the Koi seems to "tilt" to the heavier beni side of the Koi. With that little bit of beni in the pec, it helps to "anchor" that side and gives the appearance of holding the Koi upright...figuratively of course.

As I am writing this I just had to chuckle....at myself. I remeber how "lame" art critics could sound when discussing paintings in movies.....Now I read what I am writing and I think I am beginning to sound the same way! LOL

Steve
      That's a funny analogy, art critics 'sometimes' like to talk just for the sake of hearing themselves. My younger brother is an artist who lives kinda by you in the Galena/Debuque area and has had some big shows in Chicago. It's quite funny to blend into the crowd and listen to experts explain the art, usually WAY off base. It seems in the limited time I've spent in the koi hobby and doing research that judging tendancies have migrated from distinct values and demerits towards a more opinion based 'artistic' method. I think it's a good thing. am I off base?

emmalou is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Dan for taking it back to the hi in the pec....so it is favorable then...as long as it balances, and then and only then?
      Steve, you always sound just fine

Dan Blatt is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Emmalou - of course balance is in the eye of the beholder. In the kohaku's case, Steve point is that the hi in the left pectoral balances the wrapped beni on the cheekplate area of the right side. If the koi had a normal head pattern, i.e. between the eyes and no wrap it probably would look unbalanced to some extent because of the pec. Just a note of interest, that kohaku was 15 1/2 inches when the photo was taken and won Grand Champion of a young koi show(up to 16 inch max.) in the Northwest a couple years ago. Just goes to show ya that one has to look more at the overall koi and it's good points rather than focusing on the bad.

schildkoi is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very good Dan

A point well made! 10 years ago based on judging to the "standards" there would have been no way that that Koi could typically could have competed for top awards. BUT, using the "standards" as a guide and judging the overall Koi, we can now see how what was once a hard detriment can infact add to the Koi.

Emmalou, that is not to say that as Dan suggests, red in the pec can still have a detrimental effect and could be a distraction, again, it depends on the overall effect/appearance.

Steve

Dr J I Phillips is offline Our Esteemed South African Koi Judge
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A nice thread. I would like to discuss kuchibeni a little more and hanatsuki but I cannot find the photos I am looking for. The patients are also backing up.
      Meanwhile here are three head patterns. What do you think?
      Mr Childers will know these Koi.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

emmalou is offline Inactivated
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok.I am looking...but is this a fair shot of all three heads?No...but based on what I see...and being so VERY new...ok. Iwould say the third one,based on what I think I am looking at he is balanced on the beni? But if it is ONLY on the head shot,,then dosnt #1 catch your eye as unblemished? And will the hi move?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These Koi are big'uns. I think they must all be about 86cm. The hi is not going to move.

Jeff R. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In Dr Jim's photo, the bottommost head pattern leaves me entirely unimpressed. I do not care for the red wrapping the left eye nor the half and half look. Looks like a very nice fish, just not to my taste. The Tancho head pattern on the upper left looks nice to me. Not a perfect circle (if that is what you are looking for) but a pleasing pattern all the same. The upper right looks like something Bob Winkler has said that he favors. I enjoy a little kuchibeni as much as the next guy, but this girl seems to have slipped in putting on her lipstick. I think I could get used to it in a hurry though, but at first blush it does have an effect.
      F'ubba

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

willemDV is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Bod :
      The pic of the Sanke looks to me more like a Showa , Should there not be a lot less Hi on the head? I seem to recall that there must a certain % Shiro, Sumi and Hi. on a Showa it seems to me that it does not comply? Or am I a total "I". Also the word BENI, does this not mean the base color on the Koi and not that it wraps around?

Bob Winkler is offline Tooth Carpenter, Wine Drinker, but always Koi Kichi
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Jeff, yes while we like Kuchibeni, # 3 is a bit much, almost like she ran nose first into a bucket of paint :p Great koi though when you see the whole fish, but this thread is about head patterns.......I like the little "clown nose" (Kumochan) or Lipstick... Here are a couple that are close that we actually picked the lipstick on the nisai is crooked though, otherwise I have really enjoyed having it in my pond.
      Best Regards,

Bob Winkler

paulw is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Dr j the top right kohaku is that the mask from the uk national by any chance.
      Koi keepers are the friendliest people
      rgds
      paul

David Smothers is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi on the Face

Here is a pic of one of mine. This pattern works well for this girl.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The sanke in the middle was the BKKS GC in 2003. In 2004 it took reserve GC. Yes, Paul, the top right Koi is the "Mask" BKKS GC 2004. The other maruten kohaku was in the BKKS 2003 show and I think took an award. I have had the fortune to see these Koi in life, at the BKKS. They are excellent Koi. Personally, I do not like any of the three head patterns. The maruten needs to be further forward, the mask is too much red for my taste on the nose and I am not attracted to the sanke. In an article in the Koikeeper magazine it was described as interesting. The judges, however, were judging the whole Koi and not head patterns.
      I like the head pattern on Bob's fish. Here is one of mine.

ccna101 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

old thread but interesting ...

bump

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12