• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sharing pics of my Fry...

Poppajohn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think I saw a blue one too. It looks cool and I would like one of my fry to look like that. Would be cool to watch and see how it turns out. Nice pics and looks like you are doing well with them.

Wish I had a nice supply of Daphnia like you do. I tried but was unable to get them going. I was probably going about it all wrong but eh. Oh and I just read that blue fry is very toxic to your other fry so you should send it to me right away. kidding of course
      Last edited by Poppajohn; 06-14-2009 at 03:53 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Cindy_AL is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks. Actually, there are 2 others that also have a blue tint. But not as bright as this one. I first noticed it last wk when I was feeding them. There are floating plants in the baskets so I dont get to see the babies much. I just feed them and move on to the larger fish. But the blue one came to the surface and I thought it was just a reflection. So I was pleasantly surprised when I took them out yesterday. I am looking fwd to seeing how it progresses.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It is so much fun raising fry. I really need to get the mud pond going for next year so I can really get some serious breeding done. I have so much fun doing it but I get a lot of grief from the rest of the family because I am spending too much time with the fry. Is this your first year with fry? If so you are doing great and the blue one is certainly a nice surprise or at least in my opinion. Would be cool if it kept most of the nice blue it has now.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, this is my first fry experience. We built our pond last summer but only had goldfish in it until Febuary. Thats when we bought our first koi. We have a total of 9 koi that are 5-8". We are presently building a much larger pond. (about 18,000 gal) It will be for the koi and the current pond (4000 gal) will only be for goldfish. We want to keep a good number of the babies along with our 9 koi.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy_AL View Post
      Yes, this is my first fry experience. We built our pond last summer but only had goldfish in it until Febuary. Thats when we bought our first koi. We have a total of 9 koi that are 5-8". We are presently building a much larger pond. (about 18,000 gal) It will be for the koi and the current pond (4000 gal) will only be for goldfish. We want to keep a good number of the babies along with our 9 koi.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

any suggestions in regards to culling? (please dont say cull all of them... I just cant)

WWKC

Koijazz is offline Koiphen Kid
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How old and big are the fry? Mine are about a month and a half and don't look anything like yours! Still around an inch and sold yellow or grayish black.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koijazz View Post
      How old and big are the fry? Mine are about a month and a half and don't look anything like yours! Still around an inch and sold yellow or grayish black.

Mine are about 6-7 wks old. They are 1-2" in size.

WWKC

Super Kindai is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy_AL View Post
      any suggestions in regards to culling? (please dont say cull all of them... I just cant)
      Its depend on what you want to keep. the fry are big enough and are already showing a lot of a sing as for coloration, pattern even body structure. a few of them show deformity, short face/nose, etc.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
      Its depend on what you want to keep. the fry are big enough and are already showing a lot of a sing as for coloration, pattern even body structure. a few of them show deformity, short face/nose, etc.
      I was hoping that you would comment...

Can you show me which ones show deformity? I am not culling for a particular type... Im sure most (if not all) are mutts but I guess I really just wanted to know if any show promise for a decent coloration pattern. I seem to have alot that are black with yellow heads. Is that a common pattern?
      I still have about 25-30 in the aquariums that are still pretty small. Most of those are white or yellow without signs of patterns yet.

WWKC

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As we can see, they are not a normal shape, aren't they?
      Attached Images Attached Images     

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thank you for showing me. I will take them out & get a better look.

Any comment on the patterns? Not sure what I should be looking for at this age/size. I am not looking for any particular type. Just some that will look good.

WWKC

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Watching fry' growth is fun and interesting, isn't it? Once we grow them to tosai size, say 4-6 inches, usually we would be convinced that having good ones is very difficult since Marjory offspring are unacceptable as nishikigoi by its coloration and pattern.
      Nobody else but your fry themselves are the best teachers for you......

however generally speaking, the plain brown colored ones, chagoi/soragoi/magoi group, won't change color and pattern. and also the plain orange ones, akamuji/higoi group, would most likely maintain that way in future.
      it is said that if plain orange one have white belly, some of them might have a chance to making pattern later.... a little chance though. the plain white ones at this stage would also maintain like that.

then the three colored ones of this variety, Sanke, will change its appearance by reducing (tighten) amount of black (sumi). sometimes yellow/orange pattern are hiding under large patch black (sumi ) on body at this stage.
      Lastly, I saw a couple of Blue color fry in the pictures, regular and Doitu scale, that I have never seen.... so, they are out of my imagination....interesting!!
      Last edited by Super Kindai; 06-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
      Watching fry' growth is fun and interesting, isn't it? Once we grow them to tosai size, say 4-6 inches, usually we would be convinced that having good ones is very difficult since Marjory offspring are unacceptable as nishikigoi by its coloration and pattern.
      Nobody else but your fry themselves are the best teachers for you......

however generally speaking, the plain brown colored ones, chagoi/soragoi/magoi group, won't change color and pattern. and also the plain orange ones, akamuji/higoi group, would most likely maintain that way in future.
      it is said that if plain orange one have white belly, some of them might have a chance to making pattern later.... a little chance though. the plain white ones at this stage would also maintain like that.

then the three colored ones of this variety, Sanke, will change its appearance by reducing (tighten) amount of black (sumi). sometimes yellow/orange pattern are hiding under large patch black (sumi ) on body at this stage.
      Lastly, I saw a couple of Blue color fry in the pictures, regular and Doitu scale, that I have never seen.... so, they are out of my imagination....interesting!!
      Thanks so much for explaining. Yes, it is fun to watch them change. It helps to know what to look for. I have several that are bluish colored. Im looking forward to watching them grow.

WWKC

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Talking

Today I sorted the fry in the pond baskets again according to size & moved the rest of the babies from the indoor aquariums out to the pond baskets. Its always exciting when I sort them because I get a closer look at their growth & color changes. (I can hardly see them in the baskets.)
      I am especially excited today as I think I see some bling coming out.

Here's some updated pictures:

WWKC

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

more......

WWKC

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

last ones...

WWKC

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

as you can see, the blue ones are still blue.... I think I have more that are smaller too.

WWKC

Tommygug is offline Senior Member
      is Happily Retired!!!

Feeling:
      ----

Nice fish...nicer pictures...I keep trying to get some decent pictures of mine but so far no luck...tomorrow I will try a white bucket and clean water!!!! It looks like your fish are coming along nicely...Yours look a like they are an inch or two already...mine only spawned 5/16...Now that the sun is out, I am beginning to see some "bling" of my own...I look forward to seeing some more pictures as they develop Good Luck

Hirogoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You have a nice little group of fish there.
      Beat 162 posts in less than 20 minutes and it's yours:
      [IMG]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii169/Hirogoi/post-*****.gif[/IMG]

I guess I'm an idealistic, pseudo hippie, squirrel kicking person. -Billy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast