• Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 243132333435363744 ... LastLast

Thread: Anoxic Filtration.

tarmad is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CBRS2K View Post
      Hi Tarmad,

Thanks for the post. You have a great looking pond. The impact of adding the anoxic filter seems quite dramatic. I do have one quick question.....

You state that you have 25 baskets supporting your system. The upper pool supporting the top of your waterfall seems a bit small for 25 baskets. What size baskets did you use? Did you stack them?

Thanks Again and Kind Regards,

Steve
      Thanks
      The area behind the waterfall is 4ft x 4 ft. I can't remember the size of the baskets, but they are ones a member on here were selling.

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

If they're the ones Tracy was selling, they're 9" x 9".

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

CBRS2K is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tarmad View Post
      Thanks
      The area behind the waterfall is 4ft x 4 ft. I can't remember the size of the baskets, but they are ones a member on here were selling.
      Hi Tarmad,

O.K., great, thanks for the clarification on the details of your setup. Sounds like you have 25 9"x9" baskets setup in a single layer 5x5 pattern within a 4'x4' basin.

Thanks Again,

Steve

tarmad is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CBRS2K View Post
      Hi Tarmad,

O.K., great, thanks for the clarification on the details of your setup. Sounds like you have 25 9"x9" baskets setup in a single layer 5x5 pattern within a 4'x4' basin.

Thanks Again,

Steve
      Yes here it what it looked like while I was doing the pots
      Name:  bog filter planting.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  77.4 KB

And now
      Name:  waterfall plants3.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  88.6 KB

CBRS2K is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tarmad View Post
      Yes here it what it looked like while I was doing the pots
      Name:  bog filter planting.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  77.4 KB

And now
      Name:  waterfall plants3.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  88.6 KB
      Thanks, that helps a lot. Based on your set up, it looks like I may be able to get away with a much smaller footprint than I had originally planned. I was planning to build the equivalent of a 4' x 16' run (in an L-shape). I'll probably eliminate the base of the "L" and end up with a 4' x 12' run. This should give me plenty of extra capacity, just in case I decide to push the stocking density of the pond close to, or perhaps slightly above, recommended limits.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Steve

P.S.
      Are you familiar with the other anoxic setup that was described by Petekoi? I think that he had mentioned about 48 baskets in a 300 gallon tank. Seems to me that he either used some really small baskets, or layered them at least 2 or 3 layers deep in the tank.

kevin novak is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pond cleanout… Oct. 2009

As you can see by the photographs that I have taken, this is my Anoxic filtration system, at pond and filter cleanout time last weekend. I cut down all plants for a better look-see into the filter. Non-obstante of what some people think; it really wasn’t all that dirty. Because of the prefilter that is implemented before the Anoxic filter, it traps most of the smuts and detritus.

The photo of the lose Kitty Litter on blue background is over twenty years old and is still unrestricting. Because biocenosis baskets are none clogging, pore-water and permeability stay open to chemical and biological mediators indefinitely. This is why only a non-clumping cat litter can be used.

NOTE: Heretofore, which is over two decades now and only adding Laterite about every five to seven years when exhausted. However, as far as cat litter goes, that become an unvarying constant and may only have to be toped-off when needed.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

Dkoinut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi tarmad. in your picture I don't see any gravel over the cat litter. I hope you added it later. If not I'd guess you had a real mess on your hands. Looks nice though.

drEAMER is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

hi am a newbie here! first i wanna say thanks to kevin for the CD....second i wanted to know if the yellow bag of special kitty is okay i cant find the blue or red one at Walmart.... but i did found the yellow bag it said ground clay and fragrance.......is that okay? i check other place tomorrow. i already order the laterite and plant box is be 11 x 11x 7. if someone know where i can get the right kitty litter please point me in the right direction by the way i live in arizona..... thanks MONK
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by drEAMER; 10-15-2009 at 03:31 PM.

danzcool is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Benicia, CA, still on the bay so that it cools off nightly but far enough from the coast to be nice.
      Just say NO to fragrance. I think we determined that the traditional (not scoopable) and natural (no fragrance or additives) variety of Cat' Pride (by the oil dri corporation) was also just ground clay.
      http://www.catspride.com/litter_regular_natural.php
      Koiphen member since 05-13-2004

Adwise is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Preparing for Winter

How should the anoxic filter be prepared for winter? When the system is shut down, should the anoxic filter be left filled with water to freeze? Or should it be emptyed or partially drained.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Adwise- Hi. I leave water in mine over winter. Just clean out in October and trimm off top growth on the plants and sink the bog plants that can't handle freezing temps. I also keep mine covered with a greenhouse cover along with the main pond.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i got my plant basket and laterite today... i bought the 55 oz. how many basket can i make out of a 55 oz? i got 3 55 oz. with 15 basket the basket is 11x11x7. one more question. i have a hard time finding cat pride... but i did found some at my grocery store.... is a Kroger brand ...ground cay unscented would that work.... otherwise i have so do some more research...and yes i try superwalmart they dont have it. thanksssssss

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dreamer that size basket requires 1 cup of laterite per basket. If the Kroger cat litter is non-clumping baked clay it should be ok. Non-clumping basically means it must not be Sodium bentonite clay and that it has a grain size of aproximately 1/8th inch.

richuk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi all, nice site you have here

firstly a big thank you to Kevin for sharing his system

secondly whilst looking for the correct type of cat litter i came across this link below which may be of use to others, although I don't advocate the use of them without checking out what else they may or may not contain.

I found it useful as far as finding litter that was stable and I am using the sophisticat pink which I pre-rinsed.

Hope this may be helpful to some, Rich link

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Rich,

That is a very useful link, especially for people who may be having trouble finding suitable kitty litter in their countries. Thank you for posting it.

(Franco, are you getting this?)

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I agree with Paul and thanks Rich. I think that would work fine in the biocenosis baskets.

Franco Prati is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

(Franco, are you getting this?)
      I got it Paul, now I'll check it

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

am i doing it right? i fill my basket with cat litter put in one cup of laterite in the middle. then cover it with some more cat litter and put small river rock on top... and if i want plant in there do just place it where the laterite it? thanks you.... everyone have a happy weekend.

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

That's what I'm doing - I hope it's right!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

richuk is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by drEAMER View Post
      am i doing it right? i fill my basket with cat litter put in one cup of laterite in the middle. then cover it with some more cat litter and put small river rock on top... and if i want plant in there do just place it where the laterite it? thanks you.... everyone have a happy weekend.
      Hi all

From Kevin's cd book..

"Making up biocenosis-pots for filtration and plants is really quite simple. The supplies you will need are large planting baskets (11" x 11" x 7" or 14" x 14" x 10"), kitty litter 10 (with no additives just plain clay), and Laterite that will be for the substrate. Laterite is a highly weathered remnant of volcanic rock (weathering implies exposure to tropical temperatures, precipitation, and forest derived humic acids over geologic time). Very rich in iron, and Manganese (iron is needed for plants to make chlorophyll). Taking a plant basket as shown in illustration #1 then filling it with Kitty litter, make sure you leave a small impression in the center of the basket. Take about one cup for smaller baskets and one and a half cups for larger baskets of Laterite and pouring it into the center of the basket then mixing the Kitty litter and the Laterite in the center of the basket. Now place only one layer of pond pebbles on top, this is to keep the Kitty litter from floating up after submerging it into the pond. Instead of using pond pebbles, you can also use a black craft screen on top and wire-tie it to the basket. The Laterite will help the bacteria grow in its early stages, once the bacteria becomes established, it will be less dependent upon the iron in the Laterite for growth. The good thing about the planted basket is it will take years before clogging with organic matter (it may take 18 years or longer). You will use the same procedure for the planted biocenosis-baskets, but you will not use the black craft screen on top of this basket only the pond pebbles."

Apologies for probably repeating earlier posts

Kevins cd book

Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 243132333435363744 ... LastLast