• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filtration Basics

lumka1 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi, I have a 1300 gallon pond, and I am planning to build a DIY biofilter. As I am searching the net - it seems that in all the designs the filter is outside the pond. Is there a reason for this? My plan is [was] to make a submersible filter, but now I have my doubts. Can someone please be so kind as to tell me what is wrong with my logic?

What I plan is a tote box, sitting on the bottom, connected to my pump. Forgive my hand drawn diagram! I have a 2000g/h pump, and was planning to line the tote with filter sponges --> bioballs --> carbon.

The reason I have for making it submersible is to hide the setup, and not have an eyesore outside.

I would like any suggestions, please.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Jacques is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by lumka1 View Post
      As I am searching the net - it seems that in all the designs the [bio] filter is outside the pond. Is there a reason for this? My plan is [was] to make a submersible filter, but now I have my doubts.
      Bio filters consume huge amounts of oxygen and therefore work better when exposed to the atmosphere. It is much harder to properly oxygenate bio filters when submersed.

Equally important, when constructed correctly in the form of a bakki shower, bio filters off-gas some ammonia before converting it into nitrites. This benefits the fish as less nitrates are produced by the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle taking place in the bio filters. The ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle is a necessity, but something we would like to slow down if there are other ways of dealing with the buildup of ammonia.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12