• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: BDset up , think that I have maybe messed up

ndwgolf is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exclamation BDset up , think that I have maybe messed up

I have just read the BDset up and think that I have maybe messed up. My bottom drain was gravity feeding into a settlement tank and from there I had two pumps sucking out of that tank (one to my biological filter and the other to my waterfall, jets and a Bakki filter. I wasn't happy with the color of the water going into my Bio filter (it was clean clean) so I connected the bio filter pump directly to the BD the second pump was hooked up to suck out of the settlement tank through a sand/bead filter then onto the waterfall. I am now seeing clear water but with lots of fines in it.......I think I need to revert back to having the BD gravity feeding back into the settlement tank.
      What do you guys think??

Neil
      Come and see what else I get up to HERE
      Neil

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

bigcarpchaser is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You’re not properly gravity fed if your pumps are before the filters, you’re pump fed. You happen to be pushing your water through your filter from a sump. It’s all arsed about face.
      You’re probably getting a percentage of your waste macerated by the pumps which then isn’t getting removed by whatever mechanical filtration you have, if any? Perhaps that’s why you’re experiencing the “fines” in the water.
      Are you filters above the level of the pond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by bigcarpchaser View Post
      You’re not properly gravity fed if your pumps are before the filters, you’re pump fed. You happen to be pushing your water through your filter from a sump. It’s all arsed about face.
      You’re probably getting a percentage of your waste macerated by the pumps which then isn’t getting removed by whatever mechanical filtration you have, if any? Perhaps that’s why you’re experiencing the “fines” in the water.
      Are you filters above the level of the pond?

Yes Sir, My filters are above ground level. What I am going to do is this. I will disconnect my main pump from the bottom drain, I will then connect the bottom drain line to a new Draco RDF and let the BD gravity feed the RDF. The RDF will be mounted in my settling/suction pit. I will then have my main Bio filter pump and my converted sand filter pump suck pre flittered water out of the suction tank into both of the filter systems.........................does that sound about right?
      I just hope the 3" BD line is going to be bug enough.
      Neil
      Neil

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
      Yes Sir, My filters are above ground level. What I am going to do is this. I will disconnect my main pump from the bottom drain, I will then connect the bottom drain line to a new Draco RDF and let the BD gravity feed the RDF. The RDF will be mounted in my settling/suction pit. I will then have my main Bio filter pump and my converted sand filter pump suck pre flittered water out of the suction tank into both of the filter systems.........................does that sound about right?
      I just hope the 3" BD line is going to be bug enough.
      Neil
      Just waiting for the RDF. I'm back gravity feeding the suction pit from the BD ( some sad news one of my $150 koi had been sucked into the suction line and was jammed in the check valve) we have modified the bottom drain cover to make sure that doesn't happen again.
      Once the RDF arrives it should be a straight forward hook up.
      Neil

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
      Neil

bigcarpchaser is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It still seems a bit Heath Robinson to me.
      Can you lower your filters to the same level as your drum and locate the pumps after?

perniciousviper is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Don't know what a suction pit (?!) is but pond pumps are designed to push water, not pull it. If any redesigning is going on, try to keep that in mind if you can Neil.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by perniciousviper View Post
      Don't know what a suction pit (?!) is but pond pumps are designed to push water, not pull it. If any redesigning is going on, try to keep that in mind if you can Neil.
      It's a pit that you suck fluid out of. Like putting a Straw in a milkshake and sucking on it. If you push/blow on it you will get a face full of milkshake

Neil

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by bigcarpchaser View Post
      It still seems a bit Heath Robinson to me.
      Can you lower your filters to the same level as your drum and locate the pumps after?

It would be impossible to lower the filters. They are at ground level and the pond is under ground level.
      My understanding of the RDF (very limited by the way) is this.
      My bottom drain is a 3 inch line that gravity feeds into my suction tank that is a 1m X 1m X 1m tank
      Picture below on the right.

I will connect the supplied 3 inch flexible hose to the RDF inlet that will be located inside this suction pit.
      After the gravity fed fluid passes through the RDF and the RDF does its job clean fluid will then discharge into the same 1m X 1m X 1m tank at the same time all of my filter pumps (3 of them) will suck clean pond fluid out of this tank and into the various other filters that I have in my filter system........ie Bio Filter, Bakki Shower, converted sand filter, protein skimmer.
      I just wish my bio filters would hurry up and kick in......my fish are starting to look hungry
      Speaking of which another member on here who also lives in Phuket is going to give me a bag of his bio media next week when he cleans his filters........ hopefully that will speed up my bio process
      Neil

Neil

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007