• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Used fish tank for GF help please!

baddiesel1 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Used fish tank for GF help please!

I'm going to look at a used 45 gal hexagon aquarium w/stand. Price is right, I am exercising some caution based upon the tank's history. It was manufactured 2005-06 time frame, and was utilized as a salt water-reef system. The owner said he "re-sealed" the aquarium not too long ago, and assured me that it was "water-tight" (I'll ask him to demonstrate this). I asked if that involved just replacing the silicone caulking?, he responded as if he disassembled the fish tank and re-glued it. I don't understand why you would completely tear apart a fish tank. I can understand cutting away old silicone caulk, then re-caulk with new sealant. My wife wants to bring our 2 comets indoors from a small water tub/garden. They're only about
      2 inches long. I read that you should have 20 gallons per goldfish. I don't know why you shouldn't use gravel, but use sandblasting sand. Sorry for the lengthy questions & post. Thank you for your help/info in advance.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

*Ci* is offline Administrator
      is enjoying the fall weather

Feeling:
      Happy

I would pass on that tank, not only because of the questionable re-siliconeing issue but a hex tank is not the greatest shape for comets. A tank with a 'longer than it is tall' profile would be better.

You can usually get 55 g tanks at good prices new as well as used - most common size for "kits". That would give you better swiming room and more water for your two comets.

Cheers,
      C.

PS, since this is just for overwintering, why not go barebottomed? (that tank that is ) Easier to keep clean, and you can still put ornaments or fake plants in there if you want to dress it up.
      Last edited by *Ci*; 10-22-2008 at 07:14 PM.

warrenrrrr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just say no to hex.

Just Jessie is offline Supporting Member
      is Loving Life

Feeling:
      Awesome

I agree, I have an acrylic hex tank the size you are looking at. I have had nothing but problems with it. It doesn't circulate the water well enough unless you use a really big pump, even them it has "dead" spots. I lost a lot of fish in that tank until I figured out how to get the water to move in it.

Jessie
      I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
      I support and will defend my right to bear arms

MY FAVORITE COLOR IS SHINY
      Lifetime Diamond Member #5 WWKC

BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN

www.TickerFactory.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanx for the info. I've located a "rectangular" 45 gallon tank that's about a year old, that I'm going to try to scope out tomorrow. I can fathom the idea of easier cleaning with regard's to fish poop. I have a difficult time grasping the "ugliness"; lacking some sort of media/substrate on the bottom. Hope a hang-on-the-back filter will suffice.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for your help.

*Ci* is offline Administrator
      is enjoying the fall weather

Feeling:
      Happy

I had a thin layer of gravel for years in my goldie tank for just that reason (esthetics's), but as the fish got bigger and it became more effort to vacuum the gravel, I removed it.

My background is mirrored, and when you have a bare bottom it looks like a mirror as well! It's not ugly, and I'm glad I did it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's a great idea!!! thank you again for the info. Now, it's back to researching & shopping for a tank.

Lari is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We use scattered large river rock stones on the bottom of our tanks. We like the look and the big stones don't trap the gunk the way gravel does.
      Posting this pic for an example. Also if you look in the bottom pic. that is two Wakin that overwintered in our 55 last year. They started out at about 3" each when we got them in September. That pic was taken in maybe February or March. My point being the comets WILL grow quickly!
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      click on this thumbnail to see more pictures

Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's another great idea!!!, I'll show my wife the pics. Well, here's the update....We bought a "new" 45 gallon glass tank (basic rectangle shape), a Magnum 350 canister filter, and an aqua-clear 70 (hang-on-the-back) filter. I located some mylar gift wrap, and I'm going to attempt to cover the back and bottom of the tank to create a "mirrored" effect. I only have 20 gallons of aged, green & "nasty" looking water (from the tub pond). Hope that will be enough to get the cycle started. For some reason, the fish and plants have flourished in it. Thank you again for all your ideas and help.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007