• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Start up on new pond

okiekoi Guest - Time to Register
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Start up on new pond

Ok, you have all the plumbing in, liner layed and filters ready to go. You turn on the water to fill it up.

What would you do (or not do) when firing up the new pond?

Some do's and don'ts?

Thanks

Sarge is offline Good Ole Country Boy
      is Living Life!

Feeling:
      ----

Fill it about half way, then get in and start to work the folds in the liner and adjust the wrinkles. No way to get em all out, but you can get alot - once it is full it is very difficult to manage.

When you start the pond, check for leaks prior to stacking rocks everywhere.
      "Sarge"

Disclosure statement: Don't read into where I post, or with whom I choose to call my friend. If you know me - you know me. All people are created equal and all humans have fault.

koiingaround is offline Extra Special Memberness....our favorite
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Greg...

Good advice from Sarge...

As you fix a fold the way you want it, sit a heavy rock on it to hold that fold into place for a day or to so it will stay where you put it.

Don't forget to declor your water!

Remember your system needs about 6 weeks to cycle...
      Are you are going to cycle it by adding ammonia???

Before you add any plants, take them out of the containers you get them in, rinse the dirt off the roots and then disinfect them in either a bleach/water solution or PP...then repot them with fresh clay dirt mix (((I like to mix clay dirt, pea gravel and the clay kitty litter with blood meal and bone meal together for a good aquatic mix!!!)))

If you have green water syndrome...don't freak out!!! If you have a good filtration system...as soon as it cycles, the water will clear!

Don't over load with fish from the start!!! You will be asking for problems...your system needs to get going!!!

OH YES!!! Koizyme is you and your koi's best friend!!!

Hope this is some help!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

ESTEEMED STATUS IN THE KK ORG
      Charter Member 16!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE SCC

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

koiingaround,

Thanks for your reply. I do have some questions:

I never heard of cycling the pond with ammonia? Can you explain this to me or send to a site that does?

Never thought about disinfecting the plants. I have the plants from the old pond in a holding tank right now. My wife went out and bought a couple of new ones and one came with some string algea on it that I'm taking care of. What concentration of bleach and water for how long?

This is my third pond and I never had a bad algea bloom yet but I'm ready for it.

I'll let the pond get started and add a few fish at a time. I have the fish from the old (very small pond) in the aquarium now.

I'll take a look at koizyme and get some on hand. My concern is to make sure I don't introduce any bad stuff to the pond since we plan to spend some $$ on a few real nice fish. I want to do everything I can to make sure they are ok before going into the big one.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Greg...

Cycling the pond with ammonia is done when people want their bio~filter already cycled before they add their koi...
      but if you have some fish ready to go into the pond...put 2 or 3 (((are they koi???))) in it and they will cycle it for you...it is actually easier that way!

It is a very good practice to always disinfect plants before adding them to your pond...they can carry a world of bad things with them and if you just put them into your pond those bad things go into the pond with them!!!
      ***19 parts bleach to 1 part water...soak the fully submerged for 10 minutes...remove...rinse in a bucket of fresh water with declor fully submerged for another 10 minutes and then they are ready to go!!!

About Koizyme.....

"Every one in Koi and pond keeping knows that the biggest killer of fish is the dreaded Aeromonas - especially in the spring and summer period.
      Ulcer Disease kills thousands of Koi each year and until now Koi and fish keepers have been relatively helpless. There are, of course, loads of medications and potions all claiming to eradicate this or cure that, but they are all chemicals or antibiotics. While some work, they all have risks since they are all essentially chemicals. So who wants to put chemicals into their fish pond if it can be avoided? And wouldn't it be better to prevent the illness in the first place?
      The problem, until now, has been that pond keepers have had little choice. Finally, now they do -
      KoiZyme - the pro-biotic that effectively prevents Ulcer Disease.
      KoiZyme contains no chemicals, no medications and no antibiotics of any kind. It is a proprietary, organic preparation of non-pathogenic bacteria, enzymes and micro-nutrients, and it works on the established principle of an accepted scientific process widely known in commercial aquaculture management called Competitive Exclusion."

Taken from the Koi Care Kennel page! Great Stuff!!!

I hope this answers some of your questions Greg!!!

Charter Member 16!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE SCC

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Koiingaround! I found a place here to buy the koizyme and will get some for the start up of the pond.

19 parts bleach to 1 part water? Just want to make sure that is the correct ratio as it is almost all bleach. (Hope I didn't offend by asking, just want to make sure)

Looks like my wife is going to be busy repoting and disinfecting plants before going into the pond. She told me, you do the pond, and I'll do the plants. Sounds good to me.

Greg

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by okiekoi
      Thanks Koiingaround! I found a place here to buy the koizyme and will get some for the start up of the pond.

19 parts bleach to 1 part water? Just want to make sure that is the correct ratio as it is almost all bleach. (Hope I didn't offend by asking, just want to make sure)

Looks like my wife is going to be busy repoting and disinfecting plants before going into the pond. She told me, you do the pond, and I'll do the plants. Sounds good to me.

Greg
      HOLEY KOI!!!

I am sooooooooooooooooooo glad you asked!!!
      I got it backwards!!! ***slap head***
      Its 19 parts water 1 part bleach!!!!

My BAD!!!! I sorry!!! :o

Charter Member 16!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE SCC

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just like with cutting wood, measure twice, cut once. It sounded a bit strong as I usually use a 10 to 1 for (ten water, 1 bleach) for disinfecting stuff like oh, beer making equipment.

Thanks for all your help

Meagain #1b is offline 1B Slapped? Koiphen's Slap Happy Super Elustrious Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

1. Put a meter on the hose when filling to get the exact gallonage.
      2. Don't forget to turn off the water!

Merlin is offline Merlin the Magnificent
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you can not lay your hands on a water meter, you could always try what I did. I filled a ten litre container, timed how long it took. then filled the pond and timed that. By doing your sums you should then be able to calculate the total amount of water in the pond. . One thing to remeber though, make sure no one decides to run the taps inside the house, as that will reduce the flow through the hosepipe.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Merline, I'm going to look for a meter to put on the hose and if I can't find one I'll got to the street and take a meter reading off of the meter that feeds the house. And your right in that I'll have to make sure the family does't run lots of water in the house while I'm filling it up.