• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birdmans Savio UV Adapter

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Birdmans Savio UV Adapter

OK, lets say you have some nice barrel filters going and all of a sudden your water turns green. Here's a simple adapter you can make to fit the outlet of just about any kind of barrel filter to take the new 50 watt Savio quartz less UV sterilizer. In this example I have it set up coming off the discharge of my sand/gravel filter.

Just take a 3 inch "T", PVC or ABS, put a 3 by 2 inch bushing in the top, then a 2 by 3/4 inch bushing we have to modify. The 2 by 3/4 inch bushing has a taper to the bottom that is the same taper as the Savio UV base, (see pictures) So we want to glue this bushing in the 3 by 2 bushing up side down so you will have to sand it down some to get it to fit.

Then cut a piece of 3/4 sc 40 PVC 1 inch long and glue it in the bushing. This makes for a nice fit for the UV unit. Then glue the 2 by 3/4 bushing into the 3 by 2 bushing.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

From here you just install the 3 inch "T" on the outlet of your barrel filter. There is a whole world of possibilities here, to water fall, or maybe to a gravity fed TPR, or to another barrel inline. The 1st picture is the "T" with out the extension. Next picture is with 3" 90, necked down to 2". These pictures are coming off the discharge of one of my sand/gravel filters.

IMPORTANT, you want to reduce the outlet from 3" to 2" to keep the 3" UV housing flooded, unless ti is in series going to another barrel. In that case back pressure from the next barrel will keep it flooded.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

aartwmich is offline Insatiably Curious Ponderer
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I remember you showing this before Steve...it seems a great idea what with all I've heard about the troubles and costs with the quartz tubes breaking, and it's so adaptable and accessable.

My engineering design background immediately compels me to look for failure points:

How fragile are the bulbs? Can they get bumped around with the flows thru the 'housings' and break? What are the consquences of a breakage? Glass shards...electrical shocks...any vapors/metals inside those bulbs?

Anne (the 'e' is silent) the Armchair Ponder

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by aartwmich View Post
      How fragile are the bulbs? Can they get bumped around with the flows thru the 'housings' and break? What are the consquences of a breakage? Glass shards...electrical shocks...any vapors/metals inside those bulbs?
      Actually the bulbs are much tougher than standard UV bulbs, because their encased in the poly sleeve. And if you ever did break one the glass bits would also stay in the sleeve.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by aartwmich View Post
      I remember you showing this before Steve...it seems a great idea what with all I've heard about the troubles and costs with the quartz tubes breaking, and it's so adaptable and accessable.

You know me, I like to tinker. And my ideas hopefully lead others to come up with improvements and other ideas and we can all profit from it.

Bill D. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Interesting... I wonder though, how well do you think the PVC/ABS will hold up over time given constant exposure to UV?

Kind Regards,
      Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. View Post
      Interesting... I wonder though, how well do you think the PVC/ABS will hold up over time given constant exposure to UV?

Kind Regards,
      Bill
      That's what store bought UVs are made of.

Ellie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve, what kind of pump do you have to run your S/G filter. I have a sequence 750 and I had to up the discharge pipe to 3" because the barrel would overflow. I love your setup but worry that reducing to 2" to add the UV will have me overflowing again. Or, will a ball valve between the pump and barrel allow me to restrict flow enough so that I don't have that problem?

Bill D. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's what store bought UVs are made of.
      I understand, but they claim to use "UV Stabilized" PVC. Not sure if there is in fact a difference? However, I once ran a 200 watt, single lamp UV that was in a 3" PVC housing. This thing was pretty strong, and so you could see the lamp glowing even through the housing. Anyway, no problem with the housing, but the standard PVC pipes which were connected to the ports turned brown from exposure!

Kind Regards,
      Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
      Steve, what kind of pump do you have to run your S/G filter. I have a sequence 750 and I had to up the discharge pipe to 3" because the barrel would overflow. I love your setup but worry that reducing to 2" to add the UV will have me overflowing again. Or, will a ball valve between the pump and barrel allow me to restrict flow enough so that I don't have that problem?
      I generally run a Sure Pro 3500 through two of these in parallel. No problems with that, Yes you could valve the pump discharge if needed. Then if not needed just run the valve wide open.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. View Post
      I understand, but they claim to use "UV Stabilized" PVC. Not sure if there is in fact a difference? However, I once ran a 200 watt, single lamp UV that was in a 3" PVC housing. This thing was pretty strong, and so you could see the lamp glowing even through the housing. Anyway, no problem with the housing, but the standard PVC pipes which were connected to the ports turned brown from exposure!

Kind Regards,
      Bill
      "UV Stabilized" PVC. I didn't know that Bill. Guess time will tell, at least the parts are not very expensive.

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

as soon as i say color / type. it will be different for someone else.

but thought they sold regular pvc pipe that is uv tolerant. or rather ment to be laid out in direct sun.

most pvc pipe needs to be protected from the sun. so the UV rays don't break down the pvc pipe. or rather to keep the pipe from becoming brittle and easier to crack / burst. why should a UV light be of any difference with light coming in from the inside vs outside?

Bill D. post #9, the brownish dis-coloring of the pipe = pvc break down and becoming brittle. a slight tap to the pvc could cause a crack in the pipe to form.

i thought the more expensive versions of pipe. or rather rated for higher pressures and heat normally start showing labels of being UV resistant.
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
      Actually the bulbs are much tougher than standard UV bulbs, because their encased in the poly sleeve. And if you ever did break one the glass bits would also stay in the sleeve.
      Ahhhh...well, there I go! I must have missed that detail previously.

Judge no one by their outward appearance or where they work or live or worship........but by the content of their character displayed in the integrity of their actions.

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Granted, these uv lights will generate much more UV than the sun, but standard sch 40 is used for plumbing vents and such which stick out the roofs of houses so I think PVC is fairly UV resistant. Might check some of the electrical conduit....it might have a UV additive.

IMPALA is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I read that if you paint pvc pipe with latex paint it protects it from uv, but inside the pipe might be a problem.

elect conduit is uv resistant and might be a very good choice in this application.

Mick

This message is made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its character and beauty and should not be considered flaws.

"Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have"

Don't take life too seriously, no body gets out alive.

IMPALA is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can PVC pipe be exposed to the sun?
      PVC does not readily degrade when exposed to sunlight (ultraviolet radiation) due to natural UV inhibitors present in the material. Short-term exposure to sunlight, such as during construction, is typically not a problem for PVC pipe. PVC piping may be used in outodoor applications when the piping system is painted with a light-colored water based acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with PVC. When painted, the effects of UV exposure are significantly reduced.

http://www.ppfahome.org/pvc/faqpvc.html

Does long term exposure to sunlight degrade exposed PVC pipes?
      PVC pipe contains stabilizers to protect the pipe against attack by UV present in sunlight. After several months of outdoor exposure a discoloration may appear on the surface of the pipe, however, the performance of the pipe is not affected. After two years of exposure, there is only a slight reduction in the impact resistance of the material. PVC pipe used in permanent outdoor exposures should be protected by a light colored compatible water based paint. Do not use oil based paints.

Mick

This message is made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its character and beauty and should not be considered flaws.

"Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have"

Don't take life too seriously, no body gets out alive.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by IMPALA View Post
      ...... When painted, the effects of UV exposure are significantly reduced.......
      AhHAH! Now we know why Kent's a nutmeg

mrpig is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That was a good post. Thank you, Mick.

I've found that long-term, pvc tends to get brittle after exposure to UV. This includes the gray conduit, Luke. I'd paint any permanently exposed pipes.
      Quote Originally Posted by IMPALA View Post
      Can PVC pipe be exposed to the sun?
      PVC does not readily degrade when exposed to sunlight (ultraviolet radiation) due to natural UV inhibitors present in the material. Short-term exposure to sunlight, such as during construction, is typically not a problem for PVC pipe. PVC piping may be used in outodoor applications when the piping system is painted with a light-colored water based acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with PVC. When painted, the effects of UV exposure are significantly reduced.

http://www.ppfahome.org/pvc/faqpvc.html

Does long term exposure to sunlight degrade exposed PVC pipes?
      PVC pipe contains stabilizers to protect the pipe against attack by UV present in sunlight. After several months of outdoor exposure a discoloration may appear on the surface of the pipe, however, the performance of the pipe is not affected. After two years of exposure, there is only a slight reduction in the impact resistance of the material. PVC pipe used in permanent outdoor exposures should be protected by a light colored compatible water based paint. Do not use oil based paints.

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mrpig View Post
      That was a good post. Thank you, Mick.

I've found that long-term, pvc tends to get brittle after exposure to UV. This includes the gray conduit, Luke. I'd paint any permanently exposed pipes.
      Interesting. Maybe all the vent pipes I see are painted with clear paint.

mrpig is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by luke-gr View Post
      Interesting. Maybe all the vent pipes I see are painted with clear paint.
      Don't get me wrong Mr. Sassy , I wouldn't hesitate to leave UV exposed PVC unpainted, as long as I didn't have water running through it.

Last year, I got a bunch of 3/4 and 1" pvc pipe for free, from a guy who was going to send it to the landfill. It had been sitting beside his garage (exposed) for (probably) years. When I went to cut it for my projects, It would literally shatter when being squeezed in the cutter. I could bend the 3/4" pipe and break it. I ended-up getting rid of it.

I have some 3" gray pvc conduit that has been laying-out on the ground at some property I have in Central Oregon (high desert). The once-gray conduit is now white from exposure.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast