• Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 748182838485 LastLast
    Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1682

Thread: Birdman's Sand/Gravel Filter

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremydmeyer76 View Post
      I'm about to set my barrels up and was wondering how much water these typically use during the flush process? I'm putting them in an area where I don't really have much room for a large drain pipe so I'm thinking about digging a pit below the barrels and filling it with gravel and letting the barrels drain directly into the pit.

My pit will hold around 200 gallons and my soil drains very well so I think it would work using this method.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
      For my setup, I simply use a length of corrugated plastic drain pipe that I bring out only when i am cleaning the S+G . This directs the drain water out to the lawn and away from the filter area. I also use this approach if I want to do a water change on the pond- simply use the waste port on the filter and let the water run out for as long as you want . You probably couldn't do this if you dumped your waste to a pit under the barrel. I might also be worried about the smell if all your waste is going in a small area . I would think the gravel would get dirty and clogged pretty quickly, since the waste water is pretty nasty.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Jeremydmeyer76 is offline Member
      is gonna keep on swimming.

Feeling:
      Cool

I've considered doing that but the only place to run it is right on my property line and I'm trying to not dump it on my neighbors yard. This is why I'm thinking about just letting it dump into the pit.

I guess how fast it clogs would depend on the size of gravel used. I would be using 1-1/2-2 inch clean roadstone which seems like it would be difficult to clog up.

As far as the smell...I don't know about that. The area I use to discharge my pondwater and backfeed pressure filters doesn't smell.

I'm not saying there could eventually be a smell but it's not really in an area where I hangout in.

El Padre is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry if this has been asked, I tried to find the answer elsewhere and Im only on page 32 of this thread, but does anyone know if pool filter sand would be an OK sand grade?

wfhoffmaniii is offline Senior Member
      is waiting for spring

Feeling:
      ----

Pool sand is generally too small and will fluidize or clog up (channelize) too easily. There are several discussions in the forum on what grits and materials will work. I have used #1 Cherry Stone Poultry Grit. There are also equivalent roofing grit or blasting grit that will work as well. Cherry Stone products are pretty widely available at feed stores. It can even be ordered from Amazon. I think i used about one and a half 50lb bags when I made my 55gal drum S/G filter.

Bill
      Last edited by wfhoffmaniii; 08-08-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by El Padre View Post
      Sorry if this has been asked, I tried to find the answer elsewhere and Im only on page 32 of this thread, but does anyone know if pool filter sand would be an OK sand grade?
      This is #1 grade Cherry Stone Poultry grit and is as small as you want to go.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Appreciate the reply. I had a hard time finding chicken grit but finally found some at Tractor Supply, so Im good to go

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Doing my part to keep this thread towards the top

For the pond and waste outlets, Im seeing a lot of folks using 3" pipe, which seems pretty bulky to me. Has anyone tried a smaller diameter piping for the waste and pond outlets, such as 2" pipe, but with a durso-style outlet?

My experience with aquariums has been that dursos have allowed more water to flow through smaller diameter piping with ease, but those were in much smaller scale uses, so Im not sure about a larger scale pond. Thoughts?
      "

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Yes, many people use 2" outlets to the pond as most will flow 2k gph pretty well, depending on extra fittings and length
      of the return route. I like the larger waste outlet since smaller than a 3" outlet is a lot slower and what I found is that when
      cleaning and you turn off the air, a 2" pipe to waste is slow enough that debris starts to settle on the top of the sand layer. A
      3" (or better yet a 4") dumps the dirty water quickly.

I'd never heard of a "durso" outlet but they look like they work a lot like what many use on the pond outlet to allow air to escape
      so you don't get bubbles coming from the returns if they're under water? I put a ball valve on the outlet too so I can back the water
      up in the tee outlet and allow that extra air to escape.

Name:  lower pond shed.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  93.5 KB

https://youtu.be/hNdyw5JzBYc
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

All that 3" pipe.... is that corrugated pipe?

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

All that 3" pipe.... is that corrugated pipe?
      No, it's just regular schedule 40 pvc pipe. I used 3" on the outlet of this s/g filter because I'm' also gravity feeding the UV and
      bypass. If I used 2" with the extra head of the UV I may have not had the extra head needed and the filter would overflow.
      It does drop to 2" after the UV and remains 2" to the pond, where I show the bubbles in the pond.
      You can see the shower filter above the s/g filter actually uses 2 - 4" pvc pipes coming from the bottom of it because it gravity flows
      approx. 8000 gph a total of 40' back to the pond with many bends and turns. The larger size allows you to gravity flow more water
      farther. Here's another picture that shows the same filters but before the shed (and UV on the s/g filter) was built that better shows the longer
      gravity return routes and bends:

--Steve

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Oh Ok, thanks for clarifying. Im having the hardest time finding Sch 40 PVC in 3", so Im trying to figure out alternatives. Really appreciate your pics though, those help! I may consider trying to incorporate 2" PVC, Im setting up the filter pretty close to the pond, but we'll see. Thanks again!

Leecm3 is offline Member
      is Browsing Koiphen

Feeling:
      Amused

Oh Ok, thanks for clarifying. Im having the hardest time finding Sch 40 PVC in 3", so Im trying to figure out alternatives. Really appreciate your pics though, those help! I may consider trying to incorporate 2" PVC, Im setting up the filter pretty close to the pond, but we'll see. Thanks again!
      I built my s/g filter using 2” pvc, wish I used 3” inch. I had problems when turning pump on the gravity flow from s/g to waterfall would back up and sometimes overflow. It takes about 3-5 min for my s/g gravity flow to stabilize.

I added an additional 2” pvc line from the s/g to the pond, this was an overflow return and higher then the return to waterfall. This fixed my problem with the s/g filter overflowing and when my pump turns on either from loss of power or because I turned off for maint if the water backed up in s/g filter the overflow line would keep s/g filter from overflowing.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Leecm3 View Post
      I built my s/g filter using 2” pvc, wish I used 3” inch. I had problems when turning pump on the gravity flow from s/g to waterfall would back up and sometimes overflow. It takes about 3-5 min for my s/g gravity flow to stabilize.

I added an additional 2” pvc line from the s/g to the pond, this was an overflow return and higher then the return to waterfall. This fixed my problem with the s/g filter overflowing and when my pump turns on either from loss of power or because I turned off for maint if the water backed up in s/g filter the overflow line would keep s/g filter from overflowing.
      Im definitely going with three inches, it'll help me sleep better at night. Im going to just build the filter for now and worry about how to get the return plumbed later. I can find 3" Sch 40 fittings, but there are no 3" sch 40 PVC pipe anywhere within driving distance, so Im looking at using the PVC fittings with ABS pipe. I know it may not be optimal mixing the two, but there is one PVC to ABS glue and this is only for drainage, so it may be an option.

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

ABS works great too. The stores around me are the same and rarely have PVC pipe in 3" and 4". You can see in the picture I use
      both all the time. The grey is actually electrical pvc conduit as it comes in very wide sweeps as opposed to ABS and PVC that have
      more restrictive 45's and 90's.
      --Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hopefully Im not driving anyone nuts, Im going through this thread as much as I can to find the answers.

For the waste line, the original instructions say to mark a centerline 9" down from the top. This seems really far down and seems like there's some potential to add some more media. Is 9" necessary?
      Last edited by El Padre; 08-14-2022 at 11:14 PM.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

My take is - The dimensions and amount of media are the results of what worked best determined by trial an error by the author. You'll find many variations posted online. Many variations are negative and some are positive.

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Bump

Feeling:
      Cool

I'm on the second season with my S&G filters. They are amazing! I love flushing them and being able to see the nasty stuff they remove.

I recently added an 03 injected protien skimmer in parallel with them.

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremydmeyer76 View Post
      I'm on the second season with my S&G filters. They are amazing! I love flushing them and being able to see the nasty stuff they remove.
      Interesting build! How did you do it?
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by two_wheeled View Post
      Interesting build! How did you do it?
      I have a build thread in the DIY forum.

• Remove Ads