• Page 70 of 85 FirstFirst ... 606768697071727380 ... LastLast
    Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1682

Thread: Birdman's Sand/Gravel Filter

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Interesting... I don't know why the screen would be left on either. On all I've DIY built I take out the screens but I also
      have a second shower drain installed in addition to the input so I can essentially do the same and flush out the bottom.
      I do it each time I clean them and always get a big rush of fine black stuff before it runs clear.

So your "drain valves" are on the s/g filter inputs before the shower drain (bulkhead) fitting? I'm not sure how many
      others put those in or maybe it's in the instructions that Steve provides?
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Correct, it Tee's off the inlet pipe.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have no control over how people follow my instructions so leaving the screen on is kind of like insurance for me. The 1st layer of rocks needs to be big enough as to not fall through the dog kennel floor grating. The screen will prevent rocks getting into the inlet if any smaller rocks did fall through the grating.
      BUT
      If adding a TEE to the inlet so it can also be a drain then it would be better to not use the screen.

guardianx9 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

where do u buy the 1 1/4 inch 5 way t.. i tried looking at the homedepot website cant find..
      Last edited by guardianx9; 05-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.

gbp1s is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by guardianx9 View Post
      where do u buy the 1 1/4 inch 5 way t.. i tried looking at the homedepot website cant find..
      https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-20-7012...%2F4+5+way+pvc

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Mild Bill is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Home Depot Model # F1145WC-WH-4 11/4" 5 way pvc fitting

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Over the years many have devised simple air manifolds that didn't use 5 ways or the bell less conduit 90s. Neither are stocked locally for me. Just use common Ts, 4 ways and 90s that are stocked locally and you can still build an efficient manifold.

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Ditto. The one I built looked more like an old school TV antenna. More like parallel spokes coming off a main center branch.

steve

DViolante is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for such a wonderful thread! I'm going to build one this weekend and had a couple of questions that I'm not sure were answered in the thread. I read through twice hoping to not re-ask an answered question.

1. I would like to install a UV lamp in-line on the supply piping, and want to give the water a little more dwell time with the UV rays. Will using a 4" pipe disrupt the overall scheme of ratios with stone and pressure or will I just have to adjust the flow with a ball valve to account for the difference? Or should I just build a separate device in-line but outside the container. I'm trying to be space conscious.

2. Can I use the supply line as the air line as well, as long as there is a ball valve "T" that I can close when boiling the water and there is a sufficient manifold at the bottom to evenly distribute both water / air? (as I'm typing this, it occurs to me that they may need to be separate so that I can flow both at the same time.) In streaming consciousness.... would the air pressure disrupt the UV light if in the supply housing...?

Name:  SG with UV.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  33.8 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

onlycrimson is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I cant comment on the UV, I've never seen that done before. You would want separate supply lines for air and water. When you backwash you want to keep the water coming in pushing to waste.

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by DViolante View Post
      Thanks for such a wonderful thread! I'm going to build one this weekend and had a couple of questions that I'm not sure were answered in the thread. I read through twice hoping to not re-ask an answered question.

1. I would like to install a UV lamp in-line on the supply piping, and want to give the water a little more dwell time with the UV rays. Will using a 4" pipe disrupt the overall scheme of ratios with stone and pressure or will I just have to adjust the flow with a ball valve to account for the difference? Or should I just build a separate device in-line but outside the container. I'm trying to be space conscious.

2. Can I use the supply line as the air line as well, as long as there is a ball valve "T" that I can close when boiling the water and there is a sufficient manifold at the bottom to evenly distribute both water / air? (as I'm typing this, it occurs to me that they may need to be separate so that I can flow both at the same time.) In streaming consciousness.... would the air pressure disrupt the UV light if in the supply housing...?

Name:  SG with UV.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  33.8 KB
      Steve says; "Just as a warning... don't get complacent when following a filter design unless it's intentional and you know the risks. It may not go as planned."

Good advice from: Failed-Sand-and-Gravel-filter

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Excellent advice....! I wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences.

I'm willing to try it out in the name of science to see if it does / doesn't work, so that the experiment proves or disproves the theory and we know one way or the other. I just hadn't seen any postings related to these two questions and was wondering if anyone else had and experiences to share. I love tinkering to find out how things work and why, and see if there are any adaptations that can work as well ~ I'm WAY open to suggestions! LOL

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson View Post
      I cant comment on the UV, I've never seen that done before. You would want separate supply lines for air and water. When you backwash you want to keep the water coming in pushing to waste.
      That makes sense... I learned that with my bead filter. I roil it up with the blower and then slowly add enough water to get some waste out but not overcome the blower. Then I shut off the blower and open up the water supply to completely flush out the filter. In the case of the SG filter, I would not be able to do that so easily without too much back pressure on the blower.

wingrider is offline Senior Member
      is satisfied with his flow.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sorry I'm getting back up to speed on some of these.... Air Blower to use to rinse the media in the drum? Ad more 02 ?

Thx.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by wingrider View Post
      Sorry I'm getting back up to speed on some of these.... Air Blower to use to rinse the media in the drum? Ad more 02 ?

Thx.
      To rinse the media in the drum ~ well, to break up the media and really move the water and particles around. If, however, there isn't a way to move the particles AS they are dislodged (flowing water) then I imagine they will stay in place once the blower is turned off. Writing things out really helps in the discovery process too... LOL

p0wd3rp1l0t is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i have only read to page 13, but figured I would ask as I continue to read through the pages. I will be placing my sand/gravel filter on a stand, I am just not sure how high the stand has to be compared to return on top of waterfall. I would be piping the 3" back to the top of my water fall, which is 2 ft above pond level. Only issue is i plan on running my pipe down into the ground(covered by landscape rock to hide it)then up in elevation 2 feet to dump into top of water fall. the total run from barrel to top of waterfall would be 20ft. anybody see any issues with that or recommendations? i am a fairly handy guy, but time is money so would you recommend trying to DIY with all the internal plumbing, or just purchasing it from birdman?

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It'll be fine as long as you account for the necessary flow rate and the resistance it causes in the pipes. Said another way, you need to say how much water you plan to flow, and whether you plan to use tight 90-deg bends, or sweeping turns. Regardless, plan to have the top of the water in the SG filter probably around 12" higher than where it flows out of the pipe to the top of the waterfall.

Also, sooner or later, sand will accumulate at the low point due to it being swept out of the barrel one way or another - all it takes forgetting one time to plug the outlet when cleaning. For that reason, add a clean-out at the low point in the circuit.
      Last edited by kimini; 06-22-2018 at 09:42 AM.

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by p0wd3rp1l0t View Post
      i am a fairly handy guy, but time is money so would you recommend trying to DIY with all the internal plumbing, or just purchasing it from birdman?
      That depends on if you have a good source for the furniture grade PVC fittings and bottom grate.

IAmHolland is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by IAmHolland; 09-20-2018 at 01:35 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 70 of 85 FirstFirst ... 606768697071727380 ... LastLast