• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324

Thread: Hypothetical ozone installation on my pond

boggen is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

a question. will you be burying this filter so you can gravity flow in and out of it? or you plan to use a water pump. to pump water up to it (counter current design)? or in to it(with current design)?
      Pond and Construction Forum 101 good place for any first timers to the forum. for finding resources and general info.

Ryan

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Dwight is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I really think the creek was a major part of the problem for you. It's amazing how dirty " clear " mountain streams are. If shallow water ever LOOKS dirty it's FILTHY. Also you're probably introducing all sorts of " stuff " with the flow through. The Japanese set ups I saw didn't direct the " wild " water directly into their indoor ponds but introduced it into the front end of their long filter chambers.

As for the FF in that hugh barrell , I imagine it would work to a degree. Maybe if you made it a down flow sort of arrangement ( like L5Vegan's ) with water coming in at the top and two large outlets , one for foam and one for water , then filled the monster with some sort of media like strapping , it would probably generate all kinds of foam for a while ( it would probably exhaust the DOCs pretty quick ). You could also run the entire outlet of your filters through there. Three or four passes = buckets of foam then nothing for a long while. If you left it running that way you would probably never have a DOC build up. It would almost be like doing constant water changes ..... hay ... flow through in a barrell. Now you've got me thinking.......... if I dig up that eight feet of 15" PVC ...........
      Disclaimer : I am no expert and anyone taking my advice might be as big a fool as I am.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Disclaimer : I am no expert and anyone taking my advice might be as big a fool as I am.

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
      a question. will you be burying this filter so you can gravity flow in and out of it? or you plan to use a water pump. to pump water up to it (counter current design)? or in to it(with current design)?
      Boggen whatever I decide to do will b pumped but probably over half below water level so as not to add any head to the circuit. If I go pumping water higher uphill then Im going to reduce my flow. My turnover is about once every 1.5 hours and not sure I need to slow that down. I could get a bigger pump but dont really want to. Also, I figured the extra aeration cant hurt.

My bead filter is not running pressurized/closed. I leave the vent open and know where the water level is. I figure that is my level that I dont want to go above. Whatever I do will be large diameter piping and shouldnt affect the head my pump sees by any appreciable amount. Make sense? There was a drawing in this thread somewhere where I had a pic of the bead and drew in the FF beside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Floyd View Post
      I really think the creek was a major part of the problem for you. It's amazing how dirty " clear " mountain streams are. If shallow water ever LOOKS dirty it's FILTHY. Also you're probably introducing all sorts of " stuff " with the flow through. The Japanese set ups I saw didn't direct the " wild " water directly into their indoor ponds but introduced it into the front end of their long filter chambers.

As for the FF in that hugh barrell , I imagine it would work to a degree. Maybe if you made it a down flow sort of arrangement ( like L5Vegan's ) with water coming in at the top and two large outlets , one for foam and one for water , then filled the monster with some sort of media like strapping , it would probably generate all kinds of foam for a while ( it would probably exhaust the DOCs pretty quick ). You could also run the entire outlet of your filters through there. Three or four passes = buckets of foam then nothing for a long while. If you left it running that way you would probably never have a DOC build up. It would almost be like doing constant water changes ..... hay ... flow through in a barrell. Now you've got me thinking.......... if I dig up that eight feet of 15" PVC ...........

Foumd the link on the FF https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19198
      Dwight, I have a funny feeling that you are right. Why my new bead is not catching more from the creek kinda makes me wonder. It may be the pressure of the water coming from up the hill is pushing the debris through the beads. Any way its off and will see what it does in a week or so. If that does turn out to be the issue, I may use a smaller O3 unit to ozonate the flow through water.....maybe. I used to have it coming right into my skimmer which I think helped, but it was reducing my skimmer draw. Im going to spend this time figuring out the problem so I know what to attack.

L5Vegan was flowing about 1400 gph each(?)through those two 4" pipes. Again, I dont really want to lift the water any higher. Mainly because of aesthetic issues. We look down on the pond from our house and stuff is hard to hide. maybe I should quit fighting and just use dual 6inchers to flow my water through. I reckon it depends if Im trying to get some extra dwell for ozone if I go that route.

Im doing a lot of talking but not really going anywhere.

gOOse is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

maybe I should quit fighting and just use dual 6inchers to flow my water through.

You can use a can of "magic pipe-away" NUTMEG paint. Just check the label for "Magic". Then put a teracotta pot on top with a plant.(Ozone resistant plastic fern) Presto magic.

gOOse..

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gOOse View Post
      maybe I should quit fighting and just use dual 6inchers to flow my water through.

You can use a can of "magic pipe-away" NUTMEG paint. Just check the label for "Magic". Then put a teracotta pot on top with a plant.(Ozone resistant plastic fern) Presto magic.

gOOse..
      LOL Goose! Still wondering about the ozone reaction chamber first though.

Two six foot tall 6" pipes will be about 19 gallons between the two of them. Im hung up on the dwell time, but that would be about 23 seconds of dwell between the two 6" pipes . Stephen just went to a larger reaction pond to gain more dwell time as he was wasting ozone out the top.

Anyway, do you see anything wrong with using the two barrels as an ozone reaction chamber then on to two 6" pipes as FFs (shon on post#456 on page 46)? Being that I dont want to use a venturi, Im not mixing in the water as well and am hoping that the extra water dwell and bombardment will make up for that?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I do think using the monster barrell for a O3 reaction chamber is a good idea. You could use ozone resistant air stones and practically fill the thing with bubbles. Lots of dwell time for 100+ gal , like two min !!!

"B" is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Doublestacked welded barrels should make a nice reaction chamber for the ozone.

IMO

"B"
      Favorite Quotes:
      "A job worth doing, is worth doing right!"

"It's hard to soar with the eagles,
      when you're working with a bunch of turkeys!"

gOOse is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How about you go barrel up > 6" pipe back down> 4" up six feet for the triple dwell. Or something like that. You could use Dr. Seuse books for inspiration.\

gOOse...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hay , a water based Rube Goldberg machine ! I like it !!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Tasha is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by luke-gr View Post
      OK, lets check me and make sure I did this right earlier when I came up with 4.57g. Lets shoot middle of the road between the 3-5 and call it 4.

-40 liters=10.5gallons so 4mg per 10.5gallons.
      -To get dosage for 12,000 gallons I multiply 10.5(1142) so I do the same to the grams side
      -4mg*1142per10.5*1142
      -4568mg (or 4.57g per 1191 gallons)

If Im off somebody yell at me.
      4.57g per 12000 gallons? Per hour? Or 380 mg per hour per 1000 gallons?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324