• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: hanky panky

Ethan25 is offline pm'str
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

hanky panky

So, yesterday there was some hanky panky going on in the water irises at the pond edge. There was a little foam on the top of the water by afternoon, and when we came home last night, my wife said "do you smell a really strong fish odor?". Needless to say, I think we will be the proud owners of millions of baby fish any day.

Both fishstores in town love our fish that we bring them, and we get credit in exchange, so that's fine with us.

Question though......water was crystal clear 3 days ago. Its been in the mid 80s the last 3 days. This morning I walked out and it was really murky. Not green at all....but dark and murky. Is this common with spawning? At this point, should I do a larger water change?

I did around 10% yesterday.

Ethan
      Ephesians 2:8-9
      faith is a gift, not a personal talent.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Headache is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Large ? I would do 20/25% each day for 3 days .

PapaBear is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Murky water after a spawn??? Say it ain't so When Koi spawn they do the bump and grind with each other and anything that is or isn't nailed down. Needless to say in the process of rubbing against every possible surface they will break all kinds of previously stuck stuff loose and it winds up clouding the water Add to that all the extra ammonia and protein from eggs and milt and your water is a smelly, murky, mess
      Might as well start a trickling overflow water exchange and keep close tabs on your ammonia and nitrite readings, as a spike is normal.
      Do you have a hatchery tub/pond/etc... to move the eggs to? They're gonna do MUCH better if you do.

Ethan25 is offline pm'str
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
      Murky water after a spawn??? Say it ain't so When Koi spawn they do the bump and grind with each other and anything that is or isn't nailed down. Needless to say in the process of rubbing against every possible surface they will break all kinds of previously stuck stuff loose and it winds up clouding the water Add to that all the extra ammonia and protein from eggs and milt and your water is a smelly, murky, mess
      Might as well start a trickling overflow water exchange and keep close tabs on your ammonia and nitrite readings, as a spike is normal.
      Do you have a hatchery tub/pond/etc... to move the eggs to? They're gonna do MUCH better if you do.
      I've got a 100 gallon rubbermaid. I am planning on returning it soon for a 300 gallon. I didn't see any eggs this morning when I went out there though.

But I saw the signs. This has happened the last 2 years, but the water wasn't THIS murky. Had some 500 f2-4" fish sold to local petstore last year. For some reason, many survived. My guess is that it's because I feed my fish well. I would think that hungry fish would go BIZZERK on baby fish, but I had lots of survivors last year.

Ethan
      Ephesians 2:8-9
      faith is a gift, not a personal talent.

PapaBear is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Adult Koi don't generally cannibalize fry. Freshly laid eggs are a different story however... can you spell Caviar???

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007