Thread: Momotaro - Koiphen Breeder Seminar II

Mollie is offline Senior Member
      is A fish Addict

Feeling:
      Friendly

Thank you, I love this koi and his skin is just wonderful

YADA YADA YADA YADA Baby

There is no greater gift than the Love of Family and Friends

When you build your pond decide what you want then go wwaaaaaaaayyyyy bigger

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

mikona is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      You must be joking. Toshio Sakai does not get oyagoi from Momotaro, in fact, he GAVE Momotaro some of his first Oyagoi. Hiroji Sakai did the same thing. Kevin has it backwards.
      Well, maybe I kinda pharsed it wrong. Toshio Sakai looks for potential fish to become Oyagoi from those other breeders. Does that sound better?

I also highly doubt Toshio Sakai just "gave" Momotaro Oyagoi. Some of the Momotaro's original parent set came from his own collection that he purchased himself.

We have to remember, Maeda was first a Resturant owner, avid golfer(semi-pro), koi hobbyist and now koi breeder.

Mike

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I have to agree with Russ about the oyagoi thing.

Funny, on another forum a couple years ago, someone showed a photo of Toshio Sakai at the Momotaro Auction. This person was trying to say that Sakai was there to BUY fish. Nothing could be further from the truth. As far as I have been told, Sakai gets to pick whatever he wants as he and SFF are the ones responsible for getting Momotaro started with broodstock. Toshio was also in the restaurant business some 25-30 years ago when he first moved to Isawa. Maybe that's the connection that got it all started. I'm guessing here, but it sounds good, right?

Remember the 101cm Sanke that won the AJKS a few years back? That was a Toshio Sakai Matsunosuke Sanke. It was, I believe over 92cm when Momotaro placed it in the 1500 ton pond and grew it for the AJKS. It WAS NOT a Momotaro Koi!!

Mike

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by mikona View Post
      I also wanted to note the 3 step kohaku pictured was breed by Ogata, which was sold to Khanh in Florida by Kevin.

Also talking to Kevin, there are many breeders like Toshio Sakai and Hiroji Sakai who look for oyagoi from Momotaro as well as vice versa.
      Mike

I believe this Kohaku was actually from Ogawa Farms not Ogata!

CHICHI is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Mike

http://www.koi.lu/momotaro-pond.pdf

mikona is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mike

I was emailing Kevin inregards to fish on his site and ask him about the 3 step Kohaku. He said the kohaku was breed by Ogata sold to Khanh...He also noted they have a pic of the fish bowled at Ogata in one of the Nichirins...He also went on to say, ask Garry Chin since he was in the pic if people dont believe the fish is from Ogata.

Mike

mikona is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Remember the 101cm Sanke that won the AJKS a few years back? That was a Toshio Sakai Matsunosuke Sanke. It was, I believe over 92cm when Momotaro placed it in the 1500 ton pond and grew it for the AJKS. It WAS NOT a Momotaro Koi!!

Mike
      Mike P, I dont see where anyone ever mentioned the 101cm was breed by Momotaro. If anything it was broaded at Momotaro for Mr. Takigawa the hobbyist. On that note I think Toshio Sakai was given all the credit for that win anyways since he breed the fish.

Mike A.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well, maybe I kinda pharsed it wrong. Toshio Sakai looks for potential fish to become Oyagoi from those other breeders. Does that sound better?

I also highly doubt Toshio Sakai just "gave" Momotaro Oyagoi. Some of the Momotaro's original parent set came from his own collection that he purchased himself.

We have to remember, Maeda was first a Resturant owner, avid golfer(semi-pro), koi hobbyist and now koi breeder.

Mike
      Yes, he did GIVE him oyagoi. This I know first hand.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

mikona is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, he did GIVE him oyagoi. This I know first hand.
      I emailed Rob from Majestic and he emailed Momotaro and they replied back.They dont know about "GAVE", cause when it comes to Toshio it comes at a price. So, someone must be BS'ing.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I emailed Rob from Majestic and he emailed Momotaro and they replied back.They dont know about "GAVE", cause when it comes to Toshio it comes at a price. So, someone must be BS'ing.
      Yes, it comes with picking the best offspring. BTW, that's pretty fast e-mail service.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Mike P, I dont see where anyone ever mentioned the 101cm was breed by Momotaro. If anything it was broaded at Momotaro for Mr. Takigawa the hobbyist. On that note I think Toshio Sakai was given all the credit for that win anyways since he breed the fish.

Mike A.
      You're right Mike, no one did. However, for clarification of info posted on another board at another point in time, there WAS misinformation and. I believe a written article somewhere, that started all that discussion which gave credit as that fish being a "Momotaro" fish. The rest is correct, Takigawa bought the fish from Sakai and Momotaro grew it, I believe, for two years, from 94cm or 96 cm to 101cm and then it was shown, right?

I find it hilarious when you mentioned that Momotaro Farm stated that , anything from Toshio Sakai costs money! Have they looked at the prices their fish command at their auctions? Toshio's fish don't come close to commanding that kind of price point!

I also agree with Russ as I earlier posted, his fee or cost for Oyagoi is the price of being able to select FIRST!

Mike

mikona is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, it comes with picking the best offspring. BTW, that's pretty fast e-mail service.
      They must have a T1 connection...

mikona is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Takigawa bought the fish from Sakai and Momotaro grew it, I believe, for two years, from 94cm or 96 cm to 101cm and then it was shown, right?

I believe so.

I find it hilarious when you mentioned that Momotaro Farm stated that , anything from Toshio Sakai costs money! Have they looked at the prices their fish command at their auctions? Toshio's fish don't come close to commanding that kind of price point!

Well everything cost money. My question to you is why do you think the prices for the fish are so different?

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Takigawa bought the fish from Sakai and Momotaro grew it, I believe, for two years, from 94cm or 96 cm to 101cm and then it was shown, right?

I believe so.

Well everything cost money. My question to you is why do you think the prices for the fish are so different?
      Not positive. I see breeders in Niigata charging a varying amount from one year to another for the same quality, but that could have to do with spawning/harvesting outcomes (supply/demand).

The way the message was conveyed here, as to what Maeda said about Sakai's prices, made me believe he was saying Sakai's prices were very high. That's why I laughed at the statement. I would say, per capita, Momotaro and Sakai Hiroshima are the most expensive fish on the planet.

Mike

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12