• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [How To] DIY VMS (microstrainer)

Ryan S. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by luke-gr
      Could this be done more effectively using the rotating arms or...??? I will have to go search for the wavemakers..
      AES sells a rotating arm assembly... I think around $15 if I remember correctly. I think some people are attempting to modify lawn sprinklers. I have 2 sets of the "wavemakers", that work OK from what I can tell, on a smaller scale trail. I personally think the design is easier with the drum rotating, probably less resistance spinning the drum than trying to spin the thicker arms. The rotating arm design would deal with varing water levels a little better.

These are in round 55gal drums with DIY cone bottoms (from DIY moving bed post). 4" gravity inlet from a "liner vortex", 2" rigid PVC to Sequence 3600, 2" ball valve drain.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like your work, C5!

I did read through the other post with your fluidised drums. Im just wondering about this microstrainer in something besides a vortex settlement. Since a rectangular chamber does not have the swirling current already, will the spray bars produce enough "push" to keep the strainer rotating?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I did read through the other post with your fluidised drums. Im just wondering about this microstrainer in something besides a vortex settlement. Since a rectangular chamber does not have the swirling current already, will the spray bars produce enough "push" to keep the strainer rotating?
      Luke,

They still turn without any vortex effect from the chamber itself. I keep the spray bars going even if that pump is shut down, they still spin without any flow going into that tank. They may loose ~1rpm. Square tank would still work, would just be harder to flush. I assume you are thinking of fitting to an exsisting settlement area, otherwise it would be better to go with a vortex like shape, I made one liner in a shape formed to be somewhat like a vortex, octagon like on top 3 concrete blocks high, bottom cone out of dirt, not great design, but works ok.

Ryan

PS- Save me a place in line at the Dan'l Boone Inn!

luke-gr is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, so the microstrainer just turns from the force of spraybars?
      This will be my first pond and Im building a 4X4X8 liner settlement chamber (a la Greg Bickal) with brushes. This will be under a deck so I can upgrade to vortex units if I want to in the future. Wherebouts are you C5? I seem to remember you being in the Carolinas, but I dont see your location?
      Luker

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, so the microstrainer just turns from the force of spraybars?
      This will be my first pond and Im building a 4X4X8 liner settlement chamber (a la Greg Bickal) with brushes. This will be under a deck so I can upgrade to vortex units if I want to in the future. Wherebouts are you C5? I seem to remember you being in the Carolinas, but I dont see your location?
      Luker
      Yes, just spraybars can turn drum. Roughly, on my unit 1, it will turn ~6rpms with just spraybar, ~2 rpms with just flow from vortex, or roughly 6.5-7rpms from both. My second drum turns faster ~8rpms, must have had more foam or not have been as close on clearance for washers?

Greenville, NC (Eastern NC)... must have forgot to type it in my profile. We go to Blowing Rock for Thanksgiving yearly.

I used to have a 4x10 ft settlement area (under a deck beside my pond). I ripped it out this year, used the liner to make the octagon shaped vortex with half the space availabe. 2 55gal drums with microstrainers and moved pumps and plumbing inside the other half. Your 4' width is OK for some commerical vortexs if you go that route in future, but the farm water tanks that good are 51" wide that can be used as vortexs and bought cheap around these parts. You want to have a good drain on the microstrainer tank b/c they separate a lot of waste, I'm dumping mine every 3-4 days, drain arrangement on the barrels seems very effective.

Ryan

mariam is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Does anyone have updated images for this thread or VMS installation? Any better ideas since 2004? I'm having a heck of a time finding pictures of this.

Orlando, FL

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here's my thread on the one I built.
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ht=microscreen
      PS, it's for sale. pm me if interested.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007