• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Fish with Ich and KH problems

Megan123 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Fish with Ich and KH problems

Hi, please forgive me because I have not read through all of the rules and what to include in posts. I was just hoping for some quick advice for my pond. I have an 1100 gallon pond with 3 koi and some goldfish. This pond has been established for a while, maybe 23 years? My parents had been the ones taking care of it;however, it is evident that there is no real knowledge to pond maintenance. We have just gotten lucky. With that said. There is currently an outbreak of Ich on the fish. I took them to a pond store and they were able to do a scraping for an exact diagnosis. I also got the water analyzed. The main issue is that the Khis low at 54. The store owner instructed me to use Proform-C with 25% water changes before redosing. Additionally he gave me a kh bioactive booster. I am wondering if the Proform-C and Kh booster can be used simultaneously? How quickly should the Kh be increased. Also I am wondering how quickly you can see an improvement in the fish symptoms? Also I have been reading that with a lot of organic compounds the Proform-C will not work properly. Should I try to vacuum the sludge out of the bottom of the pond? I know scooping it will release gases. Thank you for any advice. I am really feeling lost and awful about this.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Please posting some picture, might help to access the debris situation. Yes, Proform-C treatment for 3 days, alternatively I think you can salt to 0.6%, but removal the salt will take some time.

As for KH buffering, you can add 1 cup of baking soda per day per 1000 gal of water.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

When it comes to ich, I like the use of the higher dose salt. Ich has three different forms, one embedded in the skin, which cannot be killed since it is protected by the skin of the fish, the second is the egg form, which again, due to the shell, cannot be killed, and the third is a free swimming tomite that hatches out of the egg and swims to the host fish, this one can be killed by any number of products, salt being one. Since the only time that it can be killed is that free swimming tomite, the treatment has to be there during that phase, and salt is there day and night until removed, where other treatments tend to be consumed by the organics in the pond within short timeframes. Anything over 0.3% works.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How long should the salinity be kept at? I read online it's better to do at least 21 days, longer if water is cold.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by fly4koi View Post
      How long should the salinity be kept at? I read online it's better to do at least 21 days, longer if water is cold.
      https://www.petassure.com/new-newsle...-fish-get-ich/

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007