Thread: Pond build question 2 - 4 water circulation

GaryMorin is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pond build question 2 - 4 water circulation

Hi All,

I have more questions and final decisions to make: Questions 2 4 😊

In construction the pond I have to consider value for money, I'm sure there's lots of things I could do but well the game he worth the extra cost. At the end of the day I want a pond to keep a few mixed species fish and to look good.

I do really appreciate any replies and feedback.

Name:  Pond only 800.png
Views: 69
Size:  99.2 KB
      The pond is approximately 22,000 litres 550US gallons. The dimensions of the main pond oh 5.6m by 3.6m and 1.3 deep.

Name:  bottom drain.png
Views: 67
Size:  19.7 KB
      Q2, In my design I only have one bottom drain, should I have two? If I have two should both be connected to the drum filter or can they be Daisy chained together?

Name:  jets.png
Views: 68
Size:  33.9 KB
      Q3. Ideally I should have the skimmer and bog inflow at opposite ends of the pond to aid better circulation, however it's more practical to leave them where they are. Bearing this in mind should I add water jets and where should they be placed, at A and B? also what height and what flow rate?.

Name:  inlet bay.png
Views: 64
Size:  259.7 KB
      Q4. I had thought of using a pool inwall skimmer, this will then be piped directly into the drum filter, my concern with this is the small basket could easily clog, an alternative is for me to make a simple intake bay, the water will flow through a small indent in the wall, a large foam will catch all the major debris and under the foam will be an outlet going into the drum filter, this will need slightly more construction but I think it will need a lot less maintenance. In wall skimmer or intake bay?

Thanks for any help
      Attached Images Attached Images    

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

Questions at this stage are great. After the build ... not so great.

Q2 I believe your volume is about 5,800 gallons. If you have a pump with 10,000 gallons per hour I would vote for Item C. You can't daisy chain the lines together, water follows the path of least resistance and most volume would come from the closest drain.
      There are established minimum speed limits for drains to prevent settlement issues. The min for a 3" drain pipe is about 3000 gph perhaps. So with some flow from the skimmer you probably could live with two 3" lines (forum please check me on this I am doubting my memory and can't find a data sheet..)

Q3 I would suggest moving A close to the spillway, and 1'- 2' above the floor. Are you having flat floor? Sloping down to each drain is common.

Q4 Why not retrofit a wide-mouth pool skimmer to 3" remove baskets and route it directly into the drum. Total of 3 drum inputs. I don't have a drum, so I hope better advice will come from folks with multiple input drums.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Q2 I believe your volume is about 5,800 gallons. If you have a pump with 10,000 gallons per hour I would vote for Item C. You can't daisy chain the lines together, water follows the path of least resistance and most volume would come from the closest drain.
      There are established minimum speed limits for drains to prevent settlement issues. The min for a 3" drain pipe is about 3000 gph perhaps. So with some flow from the skimmer you probably could live with two 3" lines (forum please check me on this I am doubting my memory and can't find a data sheet..)
      Great C it is, I'll do a some research to get the correct pipe size

Q3 I would suggest moving A close to the spillway, and 1'- 2' above the floor. Are you having flat floor? Sloping down to each drain is common.
      ok The floor will be sloping. So I moved A along a bit
      Name:  jets 2.png
Views: 53
Size:  13.2 KB

Q4 Why not retrofit a wide-mouth pool skimmer to 3" remove baskets and route it directly into the drum. Total of 3 drum inputs. I don't have a drum, so I hope better advice will come from folks with multiple input drums.
      I had thought of doing this but I have been told the drum filters will not be great with large floating debris, leaves etc., otherwise I would do it this way. Perhaps other people can confirm if this is correct or not.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Easier to move the skimmer vs adding jets. Water has a tendency to seek a flow that is the least resistance. It will try and flow straight from high pressure point A to low pressure point B. Move the skimmer to the dead area of the pond and create a circular flow on the surface across the pond to the skimmer and an opposite flow on the bottom to the drain.

I have seen ponds where the major ins and out flows were placed near each other and the results were poor even after jets were added trying to correct flows.
      Last edited by BWG; 02-24-2024 at 12:41 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Easier to move the skimmer vs adding jets. Water has a tendency to seek a flow that is the least resistance. It will try and flow straight from high pressure point A to low pressure point B. Move the skimmer to the dead area of the pond and create a circular flow on the surface across the pond to the skimmer and an opposite flow on the bottom to the drain.

I have seen ponds where the major ins and out flows were placed near each other and the results were poor even after jets were added trying to correct flows.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway to work out where dead areas will be? we have a prevailing wind that blow from bottom left to top right so the dead could bottom left or right. I guess I could put two skimmers in, but the pond is not that big 5500 us gallons 17' x 13', it seems a bit overkill

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007