• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Prepping for spawning

Karma85 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Prepping for spawning

Hoping to start spawning season in 10 days here in NW Florida. We prepped the first few ponds but many more to go. This is how we prep them and prepare for eggs. Drain the pond and get as many of the fish out as possible. We then come in and lime the ponds. We use to do this by hand but I quickly got tired of that so Icame up with the liming trailer. Its an IBC with a Honda pump. We have 2 valves, 1 keeps it recirc in the tank which is pic 3. Then we can close that and open the valve to the firehose. That pond we used 200lbs of lime. I need to make sure everything is killed mainly the gambusia. Then we flood it up. Fertilize it and then I let it cook. In these temps we are looking at 10 days. I dont use this site much but gonna try to make more posts here. Posted in Am. Breeders cause wasnt sure where to post it. Anyway, thanks for having a look.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Primitive is offline Senior Member
      is Converting pool to koi pond

Feeling:
      Cool

How do you get water back? Well water I assume?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

[QUOTE=Primitive;2818130]How do you get water back? Well water I assume?[/QUO

We have 4 wells. The one used for ponds is 8 inches. So, what u see here is 1 pond. We dropped 8. 6 of them are the size as pic above and 2 are my smaller ponds im going to spawn goldfish in. The pond u see above and 2 others are already in the cooking stage. Meaning they are filled and fertilized. So now "cooking" im waiting on an algal bloom and rotifers population to meet my criteria then we spawn. Other 3 large ponds were limed today and we be filled over the next 3 days. The 2 small ponds are at "cooking" stage. Uploaded pic of the farm. Thanks for the question.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by Karma85; 1 Week Ago at 07:43 PM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Karma85 View Post
      ... I dont use this site much but gonna try to make more posts here. Posted in Am. Breeders cause wasnt sure where to post it. Anyway, thanks for having a look.
      Thanks for posting this along with the great pictures. I think this sub-forum is a great place for it.

What varieties do you have in mind to spawn this year? Are they varieties that you have been spawning in the previous several years?

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Karma85 View Post
      Hoping to start spawning season in 10 days here in NW Florida. ...
      I see your location says "Seattle". Sounds like a heck of a commute.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      I see your location says "Seattle". Sounds like a heck of a commute.
      Sometimes when I fill out things online I dont put my correct information. Let them data harvest incorrect info. But I never had any intention of posting much on here.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Thanks for posting this along with the great pictures. I think this sub-forum is a great place for it.

What varieties do you have in mind to spawn this year? Are they varieties that you have been spawning in the previous several years?
      So, this farm is the former large production facility for BWC. We do a lot of varieties. But since the transfer of ownership I am moving the farm from a farm that was used to produced large amounts of colored carp to now trying to focus in on making more premium fish. It will tank some time. Several years but we have started that already. We have brought in over 50 new breeders from Japan in the last year mainly tosai and nisai. So, the females are still to young and the males might be able to add a bit to the spawns this year. Over time we expect to replace most of our breeders on the farm with new Japanese breeders. The problem with previously was that we had brought no new blood in the farm since it was established and made our job difficult. I'll share and keep yall updated of some of the things we do this year. Thanks for looking.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007