• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major fish loss - need help

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

AFAIK all chemical binders convert the ammonia to ammonium which is less toxic to the fish, but you'd still need nitrification cycle to happen in order to convert it to nitrite and then nitrate, or remove by water exchange. Depends on the water temperature, a cycle can take 2 month to establish fully, I'd suggest slowly adding the BS to bring the water to ph 8 which would help the cycling.

Nitrate is not of concern when < 80ppm, I recall a fish farm owner said with sufficient KH he was not worried at 120ppm level. NitrIte on the other hand, very toxic.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Add baking soda. That level of ammonia is not really a concern, and the higher KH will help the bio bacteria convert the ammonia more efficiently.

Adding dechlor of any variety for treatment of ammonia, really just changes the ammonia to ammonium, the non-toxic form. If you are truly worried about the ammonia, get the ammonia alert card from Seachem. It shows only the toxic ammonia, whereas most of the types of ammonia tests measure both the ammonia NH3 and the ammonium NH4 giving a total reading rather than readings for each.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      Couldn't figure out why my koi were swimming slowly and kinda lethargic. At the time I had a koi that had jumped out of the pond and sustained some injuries. The healing was slower than the usual that I have experienced. My nitrates went from 40 to 120ppm. My well water due to severe drought over a couple of years had somehow developed a lot higher nitrates. As with other wells in the area. High nitrate definitely affect carp. High nitrates are a stressor and affect the efficiency of their immune system which leads to other problems with bacterial and parasitic. I have read is slows growth and reproduction. And over many months can affect their internal organs. Even though the fish looks fine. Over many months negative results can occur.

Once I got my pond back to normal numbers. All was well.
      Thanks for your sharing of your experience!

Not saying your observation was necessarily wrong, I would like to point out that I did my observation in a more reliable and repeatable way: Indoor overwintering aquariums and tanks with very stable water parameters over more than 6 months, and it has been repeated several seasons, while you did your observation once in an out-door pond with many other uncertain parameters that could have affected the result.

My purpose of sharing my observation is that koi-keeping should be as simple as possible so that more people will dare to try. That is also why I am repeatedly saying that "major water change" is not a default solution to be recommended for any kind of problems (so easy to recommend this "solution"!), nor are any immediate "treatments", without first analyzing the possible causes of problems.
      Last edited by SimonW; 1 Week Ago at 05:42 AM.

aquaholic is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have been keeping ornamental fish for 4 decades with several fish rooms (several hundred glass aquaria) and bigger food fish species in ponds, aquaculture tubs and earth tanks for about 2 decades. In that time, Ive also owned ten retail aquarium stores, a fish importation facility and produced enough fish to be wholesaled by live weights. Most people quicky realise I'm obsessed with fish.

So lots of experience with fish culture, filtration and disease control. Not only practical experience, collecting aquarium books is another hobby and working at a major research university gives me access to scientific journals. One of my golden rules is most definitely to change a considerable amount of water if fish are mysteriously dying and I don't know why. Change as much as possible without shocking fish from a safe water source and then change some more as soon as fish have adjusted. If taking water from a nearby pond - tank which has similar water parameters, I would change 95% without qualm.

Each fish keeper has their own way of looking after fish of course. If you don't want to change water then thats fine.
      Last edited by aquaholic; 1 Week Ago at 06:32 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
      I have been keeping ornamental fish for 4 decades with several fish rooms (several hundred glass aquaria) and bigger food fish species in ponds, aquaculture tubs and earth tanks for about 2 decades. In that time, Ive also owned ten retail aquarium stores, a fish importation facility and produced enough fish to be wholesaled by live weights. Most people quicky realise I'm obsessed with fish.

So lots of experience with fish culture, filtration and disease control. Not only practical experience, collecting aquarium books is another hobby and working at a major research university gives me access to scientific journals. One of my golden rules is most definitely to change a considerable amount of water if fish are mysteriously dying and I don't know why. Change as much as possible without shocking fish from a safe water source and then change some more as soon as fish have adjusted. If taking water from a nearby pond - tank which has similar water parameters, I would change 95% without qualm.

Each fish keeper has their own way of looking after fish of course. If you don't want to change water then thats fine.
      Of course, if you have the possibility to easily and cheaply change a lot of water, why not? I wish I could have a spring above my koi pond so that I have no need to any filter system but continuous flow-through.

Then it also depends on how dedicated we are. People willing to take a lot of trouble to ensure perfect solutions for their koi have no need of my opinion.

But after all, the more troublesome a hobby is, the more prone it is for the hobbyist to quit.
      Last edited by SimonW; 1 Week Ago at 06:45 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No spring or well source. I have multiple shoulder high carbon filters and more rain water tanks than I can remember. But yes, it's a matter of priorities and dedication. Plant beds which grab ammonia before nitrification hugely reduces nitrate production and subsequent water change requirements.

With some forsight and planning, it's easy to design for easy and faster drainage and filling. Although I dont have the time (due to number and volume of tanks), manual old fashioned fish care and maintenance is part of the enjoyment of fish keepers including myself.

My water and electrical bills are scary.
      Last edited by aquaholic; 1 Week Ago at 07:08 AM.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post

Hi,would you please explain all the detrimental a/effects of high nitrates on Koi, to help clear up

it's presence in the majority of hobbyists ponds and aquariums.

In anticipation.

Thank you.
      Last edited by coolwon; 1 Week Ago at 08:26 AM.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've got a bad throat infection with high fever so I'll respond to your nitrate level question in a few days. I'm not able to think clearly and don't have the energy although I know what I want to say.

Pondfan09 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi, Everyone - I wanted to update the status of my 150 gal stock tank. I am down to 11 fish. Fortunately, all 4 of my big guys and my 2 smaller koi are doing well. The goldfish are hanging in there, but arenít as happy as the koi. Temp 72.5, Salt 31%, Kh 6, Ph 8, Am .25ppm, NitrAte 40ppm, NitrIte 0ppm.
      I am feeding them dried mealworms and Tetra Koi Vibrance once a day. Koi are eating both VERY happily; orf prefer the mealworms; goldfish want the Tetra. No signs of Ick. Only one goldfish has skin issues where it seems to have lost scales (see attached picture). I have 3 pump/filters and 5 aerators. Filters are cleaned 2x/day. I did a 75% water change on Sunday, 2/18, and another 75% water change last night (Wednesday, 2/21) when NitrItes measured .25ppm.
      Questions:
      1. Any diagnosis on the goldfish skin issue? (See attached pictures)
      2. With no signs of Ick, should I drop temperature and salt levels?
      3. Any recommendations to achieve longer lasting water conditions? I am on well and septic; I donít want to stress the well with the frequent water changes. Likewise, I donít want the septic to be negatively affected by the large amounts of salt water. Any advice?
      Thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience!
      Sincerely, JenName:  IMG_1573.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  87.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_1567.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  103.8 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Some years ago some of my koi got similar lesions as that shown in the last 2 pictures. Later I found large amount of flukes on the affected fish. After treatment with fluke-M they healed nicely.

Maybe you should do scapings on this fish. You can search on Youtube to find films on how to do it.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I think i would treat it as a wound, apply iodine to the area with a q-tip, and then allow time for healing.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      Thanks for your sharing of your experience!

Not saying your observation was necessarily wrong, I would like to point out that I did my observation in a more reliable and repeatable way: Indoor overwintering aquariums and tanks with very stable water parameters over more than 6 months, and it has been repeated several seasons, while you did your observation once in an out-door pond with many other uncertain parameters that could have affected the result.

My purpose of sharing my observation is that koi-keeping should be as simple as possible so that more people will dare to try. That is also why I am repeatedly saying that "major water change" is not a default solution to be recommended for any kind of problems (so easy to recommend this "solution"!), nor are any immediate "treatments", without first analyzing the possible causes of problems.
      I think mine was reliable. As when nitrates where at 120+ (it could have been higher as the api test kit is hard to differentiate the colors at that level). the fish were sluggish and healing slowed down. After I brought it back to 40 they all perked up and all was well. All other conditions and water parameters remained constant.

Could you post documentation that koi are not affected at 120+. Thanks

If not than I well take your statement with a grain of salt about high nitrates not affecting carp.
      Last edited by kdh; 2 Days Ago at 10:14 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      I think mine was reliable. As when nitrates where at 120+ (it could have been higher as the api test kit is hard to differentiate the colors at that level). the fish were sluggish and healing slowed down. After I brought it back to 40 they all perked up and all was well. All other conditions and water parameters remained constant.

Could you post documentation that koi are not affected at 120+. Thanks

If not than I well take your statement with a grain of salt about high nitrates not affecting carp.
      Thank you for your clarification!

Please be informed that I am not trying to defend my view, but presenting what I have observed.

The circumstances have been the following:

I have been keeping much fish in my over-wintering tanks, pools and aquariums. For instance this winter I am keeping 5 of 50-60 cm, 20 of 40-50 cm, 40 of 30-40 cm, and at least 30 of 15-30 cm koi in 3-3.5 m3 water. I only change 60-100 liters of water while I feed 150-300 grams of 34% koi food each day. That means 150-300 grams of food to 60-100 liters of water.

And this winter, in an aquarium of 150 liters, for instance, I am keeping about 80 small koi of 5-8 cm, I feed 10-20 grams of food each day and only change 20-30 liters of water each week.

I keep huge amount of biological filtration though. To the 3-3.5 m3 water I use 2 pressurized filters (one for 10 m3 densely populated pond and one for 3 m3 densely populated pond) and one big DIY flow-through filter containing media from a pressurized filter for one 15 m3 densely populated pond, and the aquariums have a lot of broken porous light concrete bricks on the bottom and fake plastic plants, and all of them are heavily aeriated thereby good water movement. I flash the filters very 2-5 days when the 3-3.5 m3 pool is full, and about the aquariums I only siphon out the debris among the broken bricks each week-end and then add equal amount of new water as water change.

The color difference of the nitrate test kit (JBL Aquatest) is very subtle when the numbers go above 80 ppm so it not very accurate, but my safe guess is at least 150 ppm.

I have done things this way in 3 consecutive winters now. I know that it is not optimal, but I cannot say that it is a failure.
      Last edited by SimonW; 1 Day Ago at 07:50 AM.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Nitrates, whats that?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      Thank you for your clarification!

Please be informed that I am not trying to defend my view, but presenting what I have observed.

The circumstances have been the following:

I have been keeping much fish in my over-wintering tanks, pools and aquariums. For instance this winter I am keeping 5 of 50-60 cm, 20 of 40-50 cm, 40 of 30-40 cm, and at least 30 of 15-30 cm koi in 3-3.5 m3 water. I only change 60-100 liters of water while I feed 150-300 grams of 34% koi food each day. That means 150-300 grams of food to 60-100 liters of water.

And this winter, in an aquarium of 150 liters, for instance, I am keeping about 80 small koi of 5-8 cm, I feed 10-20 grams of food each day and only change 20-30 liters of water each week.

I keep huge amount of biological filtration though. To the 3-3.5 m3 water I use 2 pressurized filters (one for 10 m3 densely populated pond and one for 3 m3 densely populated pond) and one big DIY flow-through filter containing media from a pressurized filter for one 15 m3 densely populated pond, and the aquariums have a lot of broken porous light concrete bricks on the bottom and fake plastic plants, and all of them are heavily aeriated thereby good water movement. I flash the filters very 2-5 days when the 3-3.5 m3 pool is full, and about the aquariums I only siphon out the debris among the broken bricks each week-end and then add equal amount of new water as water change.

The color difference of the nitrate test kit (JBL Aquatest) is very subtle when the numbers go above 80 ppm so it not very accurate, but my safe guess is at least 150 ppm.

I have done things this way in 3 consecutive winters now. I know that it is not optimal, but I cannot say that it is a failure.
      OK. However you dont know what the results of your fish would be today with low nitrates?Just a thought

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12