• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Any ideas for capping a block wall with trex decking?

jaycee is offline Member
      is Building my first pond

Feeling:
      Tired

Any ideas for capping a block wall with trex decking?

I have a curved pond, with 12" deep block filled with concrete. Floated top with mortar to smooth out any irrgeularities.

I am interested in a trex cap, cutting 13" long pieces, side by side, around the perimeter of the pond.

Any suggestions for construction techniques?
      The liner will be sandwiched in between.
      I see there are adhesives for epdm to wood ( or plastics )

So I have thought of a few options:

secure liner to block using concrete screws and washers
      ramset the trex decking to concrete

OR

secure liner to block using concrete screws and washers
      use adhesive to bond liner to trex deck

Any input?
      Thanks!

Name:  IMG_0740.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  216.4 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't have any experience with securing the liner, but I would recommend you wait until the pond has been full for awhile before you trim the liner, regardless where it is done.

When I use a ramset I have found irregular success depending upon the hardness of the concrete I am shooting into, usually fastening wood to concrete. With some of your nails hitting blocks, and some concrete only, it seems likely some of the nails won't stop penetrating where you want them; some might be high above the trex, and some with the heads going thru the decking.

I assume you are planning to taper cut the 12"+ long trex decking pieces going around the corners, that should look nice, and it gives you the possibility of overhanging the trex on the inside just a bit. Are you thinking to cover the outside ends of the individual deck pieces?

I have used Loctite PL 500 with good success concrete to concrete, as well as concrete to stone, so it might work fine with trex, but I would recommend a test first.

Your idea with the decorative blocks came out very well.

jaycee is offline Member
      is Building my first pond

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
      I don't have any experience with securing the liner, but I would recommend you wait until the pond has been full for awhile before you trim the liner, regardless where it is done.

When I use a ramset I have found irregular success depending upon the hardness of the concrete I am shooting into, usually fastening wood to concrete. With some of your nails hitting blocks, and some concrete only, it seems likely some of the nails won't stop penetrating where you want them; some might be high above the trex, and some with the heads going thru the decking.

I assume you are planning to taper cut the 12"+ long trex decking pieces going around the corners, that should look nice, and it gives you the possibility of overhanging the trex on the inside just a bit. Are you thinking to cover the outside ends of the individual deck pieces?

I have used Loctite PL 500 with good success concrete to concrete, as well as concrete to stone, so it might work fine with trex, but I would recommend a test first.

Your idea with the decorative blocks came out very well.
      Thank you grumpy. Here’s a better angle of the progress Name:  3EB731BE-6F60-4720-B8FB-E0056C09D2F5.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  224.6 KB

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

For a Trex cap alternative others have successfully done. Pull the liner up and over the edge. Don't fasten edge. Only fasten where skimmer or pipe connections are needed Fill with water and let liner adjust. Build a form (or a couple with different angles) to create custom concrete capstones that overhang the edges a little. The overhang holds liner and stones in place. Color and texture capstones as desired. If capstone angle needs cut use circular saw and inexpensive masonry metal blade. Use a high strength mix and buy some reinforcement fiber to mix in. Be creative and stamp designs in the wet concrete.

Ramset - absolutely not
      Masonry drill bit and Tapcon type masonry screws - +++++++++
      Last edited by BWG; 06-03-2023 at 10:07 AM.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

Yes, that is very nice with the blocks, and a trex top would fit the patio framing well if you can pull it off. It is going to be a great addition to your backyard, and the patio roof will help shade the water some.
      I assume your bottom drain and underwater pond return piping goes to the pump and filter around the corner to minimize the sound?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007