• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Midwest

rthomas85 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Midwest

So I've been following this site, researching on and off for a couple years. I was all set to dive into my first ever Koi Pond this summer (we are in the middle of winter) but then came across the post from Auntiesue called BIG MISTAKE.

So now I have a big concern that I'm not ready or it will be much more costly than I expect. I wasn't planning to use concrete as I'm not on a huge budget. So I was going to purchase some of the items needed like an aerated BD and Skimmer but planned on DIY bio filtration systems. We have had reef tanks for years and want to take the dive into a kio pond as we love having fish and find them so beautiful.

Anyone from the Midwest that has tips, advice, experience that they'd like to pass along on how they supported, or maybe didn't support their sides.

My plan is a 10x10 being 5-6ft deep.

Thank you so very much

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

htgoldfish is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We are you located? If you are close to the Twin Cities area, you can come to the Upper Midwest Koi Club activities in the summer time. I have a 8'x12' 5-6 ft deep semi-raised pond so similar to the one you plan to build. If you make a footer, put concrete blocks on top and then EPDM liner, they are not expensive at all. Menards also carry bond beam blocks which you can put rebars on them. Depending on what you plan for the filtration items, they could be expensive.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by htgoldfish View Post
      We are you located? If you are close to the Twin Cities area, you can come to the Upper Midwest Koi Club activities in the summer time. I have a 8'x12' 5-6 ft deep semi-raised pond so similar to the one you plan to build. If you make a footer, put concrete blocks on top and then EPDM liner, they are not expensive at all. Menards also carry bond beam blocks which you can put rebars on them. Depending on what you plan for the filtration items, they could be expensive.
      I'm located in Circle Pines. I really appreciate your response. Is it a must to have concrete blocks or some sort of side support so the sides don't cave in because of our weather conditions?

Again just reading that post called BIG MISTAKE and now it has me questioning.

Sounds like a great idea for me to swing to those activities. I just liked the FB page!!!

Koi Acres is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sue made the mistake of digging deep straight walls on a hillside so the runoff after storms/lawn watering ran behind the liner.
      Mike

Weekends are for Enjoying your pond..... not working on them.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koi Acres View Post
      Sue made the mistake of digging deep straight walls on a hillside so the runoff after storms/lawn watering ran behind the liner.
      Thank you so much for this. So as long as I'm on flat ground, and have my sides gradually come to the deepest part in the center, I should be good?
      Something along the lines of this for slopes but with a 3-4 inch aerated BD.Name:  Screenshot 2023-01-22 115604.png
Views: 109
Size:  91.7 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You don't need to use cinder blocks below grade. People do that so that they can have straight walls below grade. Many people advocate that because the straight walls will minimize bird problems and maximize your pond volume. I personally is never comfortable for straight walls ponds because I believe that kind of ponds pose bigger risks for children and even adults. To avoid cave-in issues, put a concrete footer even though you don't plan to put blocks above it. You will also need to slope the walls below grade but don't put any plant shelfs to minimize bird problems. You also need to think about how to winterize the pond for winter. I highly recommend you design-in your pond with flow through and overflow systems and you will find them very useful to maintain water quality and grow koi.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Deleted
      Last edited by rthomas85; 01-22-2023 at 10:59 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi Aces - Thanks for that info

My plan is to have my sides gradually slope in to the deepest part in the middle of 5 ft where I plan to have a 4 inch aerated bottom drain. No plans to put plant shelves in. Really looking to keep this pretty simple.

Is it a must so have side support if I won't have straight walls?

I do have a lot more studying to do when it comes to correctly winterizing everything. I will look into flow and an overflow system....THANKS
      Last edited by rthomas85; 01-22-2023 at 11:09 PM.

*Ci* is offline Administrator
      is enjoying the fall weather

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas85 View Post
      Sorry guys not ignoring your responses at all. I greatly appreciate all the help. For some reason my responses won't post and have to be approved. This is my 3rd try responding which I tried to respond 5 hours ago.
      Sorry, rthomas85, I will try to fix it so you can post freely.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by *Ci* View Post
      Sorry, rthomas85, I will try to fix it so you can post freely.
      Thank you so very much. Have a great evening

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The edge of the pond may cave-in as the soil is likely unable to support your weight when you step on it. Depending on the soil type, you maybe able to get by with a layer of cinder block.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The edge of the pond may cave-in as the soil is likely unable to support your weight when you step on it. Depending on the soil type, you maybe able to get by with a layer of cinder block.
      Do you think if I have a gradual slope like the photo and go 5 ft deep I'll run into caving issues here in MN?Name:  20230122_222318.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  26.8 KB

Would running 1 ft concrete collar prevent sides caving in? Name:  20230122_223316.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  31.8 KB

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm no handy man that's for sure so learning and studying as I go. As much as the family would love to have a Koi pond, first we have to make sure we don't break the bank

Koi Acres is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Proper pond side wall slope for your soil type in MN is the best long term - no cave in/sloughing - for a build in MN
      Mike

Weekends are for Enjoying your pond..... not working on them.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Soil types vary drastically and so do its ability hold in place. Only an evaluation on site can one make an educated guess what structure and slope are needed. Hand dig a test hole. Note surface layer thickness, depth and structure. Once into subsoil evaluate its ability to hold together. Note surface conditions after heavy rains. Don't underestimate Mother Natures ability to deconstruct what you construct.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Soil types vary drastically and so do its ability hold in place. Only an evaluation on site can one make an educated guess what structure and slope are needed. Hand dig a test hole. Note surface layer thickness, depth and structure. Once into subsoil evaluate its ability to hold together. Note surface conditions after heavy rains. Don't underestimate Mother Natures ability to deconstruct what you construct.
      Thanks for the tip!!!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Check out ThePondDigger's Koi Pond Construction videos on YouTube. They provide a lot of detailed information.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Check out ThePondDigger's Koi Pond Construction videos on YouTube. They provide a lot of detailed information.
      I appreciate this. I'll take a look

SoloBucky is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I documented my build here on Koiphen. Maybe it will help give you some ideas. Since my build, I upgraded the bead filter, installed a second settlement chamber and installed a large bakki shower I found here in the classifieds. But the initial system worked great and it was on a pretty tight budget. I just wanted to add more fish.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...mic-Pond-Build

I'm no super expert, but will chime in when I can. Good luck!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SoloBucky View Post
      I documented my build here on Koiphen. Maybe it will help give you some ideas. Since my build, I upgraded the bead filter, installed a second settlement chamber and installed a large bakki shower I found here in the classifieds. But the initial system worked great and it was on a pretty tight budget. I just wanted to add more fish.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...mic-Pond-Build

I'm no super expert, but will chime in when I can. Good luck!
      Awesome. I plan to go through that link tomorrow. I really appreciate it

REVIV is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

First of all, BIG Mistake may not be your mistake depending on the site conditions. Understand how water drains, not just on the surface, but underground in your location. Their hill may have created some additional softness and pressure on the uphill side. Some have needed to add drainage or sump pumps like you would around a basement.

I will share with you what I did as food for thought. If this makes sense is up to you. I will say that a collar does help. It took me longer than I hoped to get the liner in and I had some minor cave-ins start to happen before I got the liner in. I used Hardibacker board (the stuff you build tile shower walls on) to shore up the earth walls until I could get the liner in (arrow in first photo). This stuff stays solid even submerged. I put this to the test as I had some laid on the bottom of my hole to walk on for a year and when I pulled it out, it was as good as new. To protect the liner I added the pink insulation board (second photo).
      Name:  wall backing.PNG
Views: 43
Size:  899.9 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007