• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pump experts: Get in here! I'm broke down.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

The old style, hand held battery powered tools, motors had brushes.

They are now brush less.

I always stayed away from them with there CAD batteries?

FAILED in no time at all and cost a mint to replace

Broke down a while back and bought a lithium battery, brush less CAT drill.

Probably regret it.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

combatwombat is offline Member
      is Voraciously learning

Feeling:
      ----

Your motor windings did not appear to have over heated?
      One of the engineering sources I read mentioned that it is not uncommon for a winding to open before there are any visible signs of scorch.

Could your motor be a 3 phase 220 volt motor to be driven by a variable speed controller?
      It is for sure 3-phase and the controller adjusts rpm, so yeah on the speed controller. Don't know about voltage.

This is most likely motor speed feed back to the controller.
      Interesting! That makes sense. My guess was that it is part of the thermal overload protection. I think speed feedback makes more sense, though.

and how the then(?) president of Advantage would post here about how everything was wonderful, the products were great, and whatever was requested would soon be added.
      To be honest, Lyann's participation here is what made me initially comfortable buying from them.

I'm still trying to figure out what to ask for based on this information, assuming it's correct. I'm expecting nothing, but is it fair to ask for a replacement at no cost? The flooded pump is 100% my fault, but the bad winding causing all the startup/shutdown issues is 100% their fault, I think. I bet if I hadn't flooded it, it could have limped itself beyond the 1yr warranty point.

But they don't have replacement parts to sell me anyway. And even if I got it fully back online, one of the primary reasons I bought this pump (remote control via app) is gone. Seems it never worked in the first place and the developers turned off the servers. Have learned a lot about automation in the last year. I'm now firmly in the "local only" camp. If it has to send data halfway across the world to some 3rd party server to process a command... I don't want it.

But for now, I'd just like a pump I don't have to babysit, because I have too many other projects going on around here.

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Suppliers don't accept fault.

We S A,had a Ford model car catching on fire some years ago.

The fire burnt the wiring to the door openers.

The door could not be opened by the driver.

Result,at least one dead driver.

No rush to accept liability.

Jonnesway Tool Manufacturing Taiwan.

No feed back on there faulty manufactured RIVNUT GUN in my case of purchase.

Pics to them proved it could not be used as Rivnut gun.

Their answer, we will get back to you.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by combatwombat View Post
      ...I'm still trying to figure out what to ask for based on this information, assuming it's correct. I'm expecting nothing, but is it fair to ask for a replacement at no cost? The flooded pump is 100% my fault, but the bad winding causing all the startup/shutdown issues is 100% their fault, I think. I bet if I hadn't flooded it, it could have limped itself beyond the 1yr warranty point.
      I don't think it's realistic to expect a replacement given the time that's passed. In the company's defense, the pump operated without any complaint throughout its warranty period, so they fulfilled their side. With replacement parts off the table, it really comes down to two things: buy another of the same, or go with a different brand. Depending upon power needs and energy costs in your area, the FlowFriend might work. If not that, then the Sequence 750 had a good balance of cost, power usage, and flow.
      Last edited by kimini; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:24 PM.
      Author of Midlana, Build this High Performance Mid-engine Sports Car. http://midlana.com/stuff/book

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

This pump has had complaints from the time introduced. The quality and reliability are low. The new model series might be better or might be worse. Personally I'd only take a chance if free or a substantial discount.

I think you mentioned the pump is being repositioned. I'd also put a rain cover over it. All of the rain proof pumps last longer if kept out of sun and rain. Make sure it gets ventilation. Over the years I've seen many innovative and clever covers that blend with the landscaping.

is Voraciously learning

Feeling:
      ----

In the company's defense, the pump operated without any complaint throughout its warranty period
      It didn’t, though. The intermittent startup and shutdowns have been happening since the day the pump was placed in service. I just didn’t know what was going on until now. The pump is also still within warranty.

I'd also put a rain cover over it.
      I had this one covered too!

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Why didnt you get it fixed under warranty?

game

Feeling:
      Cool

It didnít, though. The intermittent startup and shutdowns have been happening since the day the pump was placed in service. I just didnít know what was going on until now. The pump is also still within warranty.

.................................................. ...

is Voraciously learning

Feeling:
      ----

Why didnt you get it fixed under warranty?
      Because I didn't know something was wrong with it. I assumed user error. Now I believe I know better.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Because I didn't know something was wrong with it. I assumed user error. Now I believe I know better.
      Call whoever you bought it from and run it through warranty. Explain that it had a problem since you first bought it. Unfortunately you pulled this baby apart and this might have voided your warranty. Wouldn't mention that to the manufacturer. Best of luck

hacnp is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just read this whole thread, I would go with a Sequence pump. I have 3 of their primer series pumps, have been running them since 2004 with only one rebuild.
      I had it rebuilt because after it got flooded for the 4th time, drying it out did not do it. New bearings and a new stater capacitor made it like new. They also publish performance curves that are truthful and have good customer service. Check them out at least. JMHO, your mileage may vary.
      Regards, Ken

The most powerful point of suction in the pond occurs at our checking account. It's all Marges fault!

is Voraciously learning

Feeling:
      ----

Call whoever you bought it from and run it through warranty. Explain that it had a problem since you first bought it. Unfortunately you pulled this baby apart and this might have voided your warranty. Wouldn't mention that to the manufacturer. Best of luck
      Thank you. Did you read the thread, though? The pump is directly from Advantage, and I've been troubleshooting directly with them since it flooded. Pulling it apart was with their blessing. In any case, I don't have high hopes that they'll see things my way.

is Voraciously learning

Feeling:
      ----

I almost did go with Sequence, but was drawn away by the desire for variable speed and remote control. I still want those things, but not really on the pump itself.

For what it's worth, I found the curve on this pump to be extremely reliable. The controls were junk and it seems to have had a mortal wound from Day 1, but when it was working, it did seem to push water just as expected.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It didnít, though. The intermittent startup and shutdowns have been happening since the day the pump was placed in service. I just didnít know what was going on until now. The pump is also still within warranty.

The problem now is that while it's still in warranty, it getting wet isn't their fault so won't be covered. Claims about previous issues will be ignored - unless you have case numbers with Customer Support for each occurrence.
      Last edited by kimini; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:31 PM.
      Author of Midlana, Build this High Performance Mid-engine Sports Car. http://midlana.com/stuff/book

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      The problem now is that while it's still in warranty, it getting wet isn't their fault so won't be covered. Claims about previous issues will be ignored - unless you have case numbers with Customer Support for each occurrence.
      she said it was covered #46

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you. Did you read the thread, though? The pump is directly from Advantage, and I've been troubleshooting directly with them since it flooded. Pulling it apart was with their blessing. In any case, I don't have high hopes that they'll see things my way.
      ok. Sorry about your situation. I had one and it lasted about 7 years.
      Last edited by kdh; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:25 PM.

Advantageman is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Wow. Just saw this. We are open 6 days a week from 7:00AM until 5:00PM Mon - Friday and 9:00 to 3:00 on Saturdays. It is 4:48 on a Saturday and 6 people are still here working answering phones and dealing with walk in customers. Poor Service? I don't think so. We have a 4.9 rating with over 100 reviews on Google. Glad to see in the subsequent comments that we offered a special discount and spoke to you. We might run out of a part having sold different items for over 30 years but one thing I am sure of is that our service is pretty great.
      Last edited by Advantageman; 3 Days Ago at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
      Lyann M. Courant
      CEO
      lyann@advantageman.com
      616 S. Santa Fe Street
      Santa Ana, CA 92705
      714-505-1166 ext. 101
      FAX: 714-505-1160

is Voraciously learning

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Advantageman View Post
      Wow. Just saw this. We are open 6 days a week from 7:00AM until 5:00PM Mon - Friday and 9:00 to 3:00 on Saturdays. It is 4:48 on a Saturday and 6 people are still here working answering phones and dealing with walk in customers. Poor Service? I don't think so. We have a 4.9 rating with over 100 reviews on Google. Glad to see in the subsequent comments that we offered a special discount and spoke to you. We might run out of a part having sold different items for over 30 years but one thing I am sure of is that our service is pretty great.
      Lyann, was all of that directed at me?

Just want to clarify. I never said Advantage had poor service. Hopefully I didn't imply it, either. I've spoken with Phil several times now and he's helped me troubleshoot. And I tried to communicate in this thread that I understand your warranty conditions and you can't just take a call from a customer with a flooded motor and say "Yep, that's on us."

If I hadn't had the signs of a faulty winding (that I only learned recently) from the beginning, I'd have dropped it and moved on.

Talked to Phil again on Friday. The pump is on its way back to your shop now to get checked out. For what it's worth, I took it to a local motor shop last week where they confirmed the open winding. I was just going to have them fix it so I wouldn't have to ship it back but they aren't able to work on the type of stator this motor has.

RE: The app issue. I don't believe that's a service issue on your end. Guessing you probably got burned by a software supplier and there's not a lot you can do about it. On future pumps, maybe look into control devices that are Matter or HomeKit compatible. Those protocols require local control so devices continue to work as expected even if the developer abandons them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123