• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Anyway to control spawning time?

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anyway to control spawning time?

Hello friends:

On Youtube I see a koi hobbyist based in The Netherlands (Aboutkoi) had spawning some weeks ago. I myself also hear some activity in my over-wintering tank. That makes me worried. I wonder how I can do to make my koi spawn only when I have moved them out in the beginning of this summer?

Last summer I failed to get the right koi mothers to spawn, and I suspect that they had done it some month earlier in the over-wintering tank, as I did hear a lot of splashing then.

Thanks!

Simon

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good morning Simon, sometimes a water change will trigger spawning or temperatures swings heck even a good rain is all they need, I think the best way to prevent unwanted spawns is to keep the male's apart from the females but still then there are no guarantees, I've had females go into a spawn just by themselves

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Good morning Simon, sometimes a water change will trigger spawning or temperatures swings heck even a good rain is all they need, I think the best way to prevent unwanted spawns is to keep the male's apart from the females but still then there are no guarantees, I've had females go into a spawn just by themselves
      Thanks for your explanation. In our ponds it must be as you described.

But I think that spawning must be conditional. In the nature if they spawn in the wrong time the eggs are wasted. Logically it must depend on water temperature and day-light, possibly other factors as well.

This winter I am keeping them at lower temperature (55-60 F) and weaker light. Last winter I kept them at 63-68 F.

NaturalK is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I triggered spawning in my nisai (1.5year old) by bringing them in from 60F to 75F with 30mins of acclimation (pouring a bowl of hot water every few minutes). Not sure how any spawning happened but the room in my house stinks with a ton of bubbles.

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Early in the season, I separate my breeding selections from the rest of the community and then keep them segregated by sex until I feel I’m ready and the conditions are favorable. As Orlando pointed out, females will sometimes release their eggs even without a male present. I know it's time (or slightly past time) to pair them up when the main pond starts spawning.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      ... This winter I am keeping them at lower temperature (55-60 F) and weaker light. ...
      I would think the lower temperature like this, below their normal spawning temperature, would help decrease their likelihood of spawning. I once saw spawning at 52 F, but there was a major weather front moving in, causing a rapid change in barometric pressure. Seems like any type of sudden change can act as a trigger. Once I was moving koi from a pond to a tub and was really not ready for them to spawn. So I pumped in water from their pond to the tub and then moved them, so that water would be the same. But they spawned anyway. It almost seemed as if the new container itself got them going, but who knows? Keep out any soft material that the koi might perceive as good spawning material, such as nets.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Not 100% sure of this but thought the big breeders used injections to induce spawning. This is likely the only reliable method. I've seen them spawn about anytime other than very cold water. Carp don't seem able to control a early spring spawn that has the highest survival.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Not 100% sure of this but thought the big breeders used injections to induce spawning. This is likely the only reliable method. I've seen them spawn about anytime other than very cold water. Carp don't seem able to control a early spring spawn that has the highest survival.
      I believe SimonW is looking on how to prevent unwanted spawns.

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

My koi have only spawned with a rise in water temperature.
      One suggestion would be to keep the water stable at a cooler temperature, and then raise it significantly when you'd like them to spawn. I imagine this is kind of like telling your kids to clean their room. Maybe they will, maybe they won't!
      Good luck, and let us know if you figure it out!
      -Steve in Phx.
      Novice Extraordinaire

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007