• Tired

Thread: Last chance for a Zakki Sieve

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Last chance for a Zakki Sieve

Zac at Deepwater put out an email that the zakki sieve product line is closing for now. Material costs have gone up too far to continue producing them. He has enough material for 20 of the large ones and 30 of the smaller ones then he's done with it until prices get more reasonable on materials. My first one was great and never had a single issue for about 10 years of ownership. When I reopened my pond, it was the first thing I ordered and the new version is better than the old. If you have debated pulling the trigger on it, may want to order it before they are gone.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Larsennet is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mine is about 9 years old and it's falling apart, the bottom blew out of it and the O-ring is cracked and leaking a small amount of air. Also trying to repair the bottom I damaged one of the clamps. I have tried multiple times to get help but he won't respond, I won't buy anything from him again unless he can contact me and explain. At the beginning he was great and was really helpful, provided what was needed. I think the company outgrew him.

Serpenteer is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have one also about 8 years old. Had to have it fixed once and he did fix it. At the time he was having big problems with production delays and his fabricator had quit. It took like 4 months to get it back but it came back good as new. Seems like production issues and costs killed it. Hate to see it, it’s a vital part of my pond and does a great job since all my filtration is above grade. No idea what I’ll do if it ever needs replaced.

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's really a shame that it came to this. He has a fantastic product that everyone loves, but seemingly could never get a handle on the business side of things. Problems with staffing and customer service have plagued him for several years now. And now, it appears that the cost of materials for this niche application have made it unfeasible to continue the product and sell it for a reasonable price.
      I have had my Zakki sieve for probably 10 years now, and it has been flawless . I keep wondering what I will do if it ever fails , as my plumbing arrangement is rather complicated and all based around the Zakki as the central component. When I first read the email, my first thought was that maybe I should pick up a spare, but then I saw the prices ! $3 to $4 K plus shipping ! I think my unit was originally purchased for $1K or so. I guess inflation is for real.
      I don't know if he has the design patented, but maybe he can sell the patent to someone who can continue the tradition and has better production capacity.

Mild Bill is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

My wife and I were just talking about adding another Zakki to our system. Retirement is getting closer, and we want the cleaning routine as simple as possible. So, I was thinking the same thing as Steve and get one now. That is until I have seen how much the price and shipping has gone up. I'm sure he's tried to keep things as economical as possible but is another victim of this economy. I know over the past 9 years our has captured enough stuff to fill multiple garbage cans full of stuff. Sad to see it go.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mild Bill View Post
      My wife and I were just talking about adding another Zakki to our system. Retirement is getting closer, and we want the cleaning routine as simple as possible. So, I was thinking the same thing as Steve and get one now. That is until I have seen how much the price and shipping has gone up. I'm sure he's tried to keep things as economical as possible but is another victim of this economy. I know over the past 9 years our has captured enough stuff to fill multiple garbage cans full of stuff. Sad to see it go.
      Know the feeling, I had one of the first ones so the new one was a big jump with the materials. Is the drive down 95 a savings compared to shipping?

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Google says 13 hours one way�� I work 12 days on 2 days off so not much time for fun.
      Last edited by Mild Bill; 12-02-2022 at 06:56 PM.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mild Bill View Post
      Google says 13 hours one way��
      When I was younger I would go from Orlando to Lake Ontario NY without stopping. Best time 17 hours. If freight is a lot more than gas, I say a trip to the sun and beach beats shoveling snow lol.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

I with you there lol

Leecm3 is offline Member
      is Browsing Koiphen

Feeling:
      Amused

My 16” zakki sieve has been running 24 hours since late 2018. It has been flawless, no issues. I have it plumbed like Zac shows in his video to allow flushing the sieve without having to shutdown the system.

I hope Zac can bring back the sieve after inflation settles down.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’m currently using two Zakkis. One large one small. They are absolutely the best seive to use if you need a pressurized system (and I do)
      I’m very sorry this happening to him. I was hoping to purchase another large Zakki, but at this price not sure I can pull the trigger.

Doug - out
      See Our Pond https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Seems like a crazy amount of money for what it is. Heck, you can buy a decent RDF for that kind of money. I certainly respect him for his innovation and design skills. He should sell the patent (which I hope he has) and leave the grid of fabrication, sales, and service to someone else better suited for the tasks.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Doubtful material costs will adjust to the point of a big price change in the new economy. Difficult to compete with imported finished product costs of RDF products. With the help of some automated equipment a competitive priced domestic RDF could be produced but fab shops I've talked to say "why bother when we can make more money doing other jobs". I'm guessing Zac makes more money doing other work is the true reason.
      Last edited by BWG; 12-15-2022 at 10:47 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007