• Tired

Thread: My Seven

BenDalat is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My Seven

Hello all,

Time goes fast! it's already one year since I have my first koi (may 4, 2021).
      Thank you for helping me to build my indoor pond and raise my kois. I've learn a lot from Koiphen family.

I have some questions that need your help.

Can you help me to sex my pigs?
      Why the Izumya Yamabuky Ogon is so thin (born in 2020, about 24")?
      Why the Kanno Goshiki is growed slow compare to the others (born in 2020, about 18")?
      All my koi was born in 2020, except the 4 steps kohaku and the sanke. They was born in 2021.

Can you judge each of them for me?
      I want to learn, and my goal is to have a few good show kois someday.

Thank you,

NaturalK is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thin body is just genetics. Goshiki tend to be smaller in general, and also probably male.

Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's hard to tell on the video if the yamabuki is male but you can look at the leading rays on pectoral fins, male's are thicker and longer than female's at this size you can also feel the vent if it's an outie or an inie witch will mean there's a high probability it's a male on the Goshiki I can tell you having worked with them since 2011 they are slow growers but that's something that I've been working with by introducing kohaku gene's in the Goshiki variety, one thing I noticed not sure if it's the angle of the camera or the refraction caused by the water but the Goshiki appears to have an issue with the shape on the head but it's still a beautiful piece.

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not an expert but I'd concur that the yamabuki is male. The pectoral fin on the male is more like a triangle, and the female is more rounded and transparent, so I think the biggest one is the only female. They are pretty nice.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalK View Post
      Thin body is just genetics. Goshiki tend to be smaller in general, and also probably male.
      Thank you NaturalK.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      It's hard to tell on the video if the yamabuki is male but you can look at the leading rays on pectoral fins, male's are thicker and longer than female's at this size you can also feel the vent if it's an outie or an inie witch will mean there's a high probability it's a male on the Goshiki I can tell you having worked with them since 2011 they are slow growers but that's something that I've been working with by introducing kohaku gene's in the Goshiki variety, one thing I noticed not sure if it's the angle of the camera or the refraction caused by the water but the Goshiki appears to have an issue with the shape on the head but it's still a beautiful piece.
      Thank you Orlando.
      I need to buy a net to get them to check.
      This is a picture of the Goshiki. Do you think it's head is ok?
      Name:  a7.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  52.0 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by fly4koi View Post
      Not an expert but I'd concur that the yamabuki is male. The pectoral fin on the male is more like a triangle, and the female is more rounded and transparent, so I think the biggest one is the only female. They are pretty nice.

Thank you fly4koi.

Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It appears the my thoughts about the video were correct in the picture all appears normal.

spkennyva is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I do not own any Kanno Goshiki (I have one from Purden that has Kanno genetics) , most of mine are from Kawakami. That said, just looking that the picutre, the beni on your Goshiki seems a bit thin. On two of my six, the beni is thin (one was thick at first and thinned as it grew, and one has always been somewhat thin). Not saying its impossible, but I haven't seen it go from thin to thick on an older fish. Your fish is young, so that may improve as it develops.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spkennyva View Post
      I do not own any Kanno Goshiki (I have one from Purden that has Kanno genetics) , most of mine are from Kawakami. That said, just looking that the picutre, the beni on your Goshiki seems a bit thin. On two of my six, the beni is thin (one was thick at first and thinned as it grew, and one has always been somewhat thin). Not saying its impossible, but I haven't seen it go from thin to thick on an older fish. Your fish is young, so that may improve as it develops.
      Thank you spkennyva