• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How they build ponds in UK

KoiFan84 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How they build ponds in UK

On a couple YouTube channels I’ve noticed that they like to fiberglass seal ponds. Also they use the lesser width concrete blocks without the 2 cell holes. Are they using poured cement to join them together? I wouldn’t think mortar would be strong enough. It doesn’t seem like anybody in the US is using fiberglass…

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

I've also noticed this. Anyone that's worked with fiberglass and resin knows it's one of the nastiest things on earth. Easy to see why on the DIY scene few attempt.

I wonder how the cost compares to pro sprayed polyurea? Never seen a US pro builder offer fiberglass overlay.
      Name:  SmartSelect_20221104_104032_Chrome.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  23.1 KB
      Last edited by BWG; 11-04-2022 at 11:51 AM.

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

Also they use the lesser width concrete blocks without the 2 cell holes. Are they using poured cement to join them together? I wouldn’t think mortar would be strong enough.
      Once pond walls extend out of the ground the internal water pressures on the pond walls can be calculated accurately, and you must resist that water pressure either with gravity using weight and friction/adhesion; or structurally using tension members (continuous wood or rebar). Rarely do you see successful above ground gravity pond walls unless they are very massive.

Below ground pond walls depend entirely on the soil conditions you find when you dig the hole. If the soil is well drained and has the proper soil gradation and composition the pond walls need very little support and rubber lined pond walls will compensate for moderate changing soil conditions, saturation, cave-ins, shaking, etc. But the liner has a limited life and is exposed to insults from insects, claws, accidents, etc.

Below ground pond walls that are not self supporting but are not too unstable can be supported by a gravity wall like the solid blocks without tension members. The gravity wall will work fine as long as the soil conditions remain stable (no changes to moisture or shaking), and the wall foundation is capable of supporting the weight of the wall without moving.

Below ground concrete with rebar pond walls resting on a reinforced footing have a much greater chance of long term survival in all sorts of soil conditions. The concrete can provide the waterproofing if done correctly, or a rubber liner is used.

If the local climate allows, an existing or prefabricated fiberglass pool has been shown to be a very successful pond and I think a better option over field application of fiberglass.

Feeling:
      Happy

In my locality the narrow block costs more than 8 inch. Only negatives and no advantage to use. Seen some of the non US ponds with narrow block but double wall. Maybe that's only block available.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These UK builders can’t just be using the solid blocks held together by only mortar right?? What are they using to adhere the blocks to each other?

Feeling:
      Happy

No idea how many are built this way. Other UK photos show single layer with mortar.

Name:  Pond 16.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  113.9 KB

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

I would have thought all the perpendiculars should have been be staggered.

All the more reason with no back support.

It's all about strength.

But anyway, it still has to prove itself!

Seen pics of where they have popped.

A DIY build no doubt

Last edited by coolwon; 11-06-2022 at 02:30 AM.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I saw a YouTube video from a UK guy under name pond whisperer. DIY pond is partially above ground about three feet with a window. All he has is one row of the solid block held by mortar and it’s fiberglassed. Very well done as far as filtration and everything. Surprisingly seems to support the water pressure no problem with just one row of block and what appears to be mortar.

NickK-UK is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm in the UK.

We have some medium density blocks (not your air blocks) commonly referred to as 7.3N which (as stacked for mine) are 440mm long, 200mm by 100mm height.

Name:  IMG_8698.jpeg
Views: 71
Size:  473.4 KB

My condensed thread: https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...anoxic-filters

The pond sits on a reinforced 3.4 cubic meter C35 mix pour to depth of 250-300mm deep. I have back filled around the main walls at depth. The pond has mesh in the plaster where required, resulting in a smooth surface for applying fiberglass too.
      Eco pond: ~14,000l pond, 20,000lph airlifts, XP80, Drum & Anoxic filtration, No water pump - total power 58 Watts.

Tompson is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've seen worse in Ireland, seems they don't understand how to handle mortar and bricks properly.