• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Advise on cycling indoor pond to use for winter with only one filter between setups

whittlewormer is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Advise on cycling indoor pond to use for winter with only one filter between setups

Hello everyone, it's starting to get cold here in Massachusetts and I would like to move my adolescent koi from the outdoor pond they are in to an indoor pond I'm setting up in a large greenhouse for winter. I'd like to have the indoor pond cycled and safe obviously before transferring the koi to. I have two different thoughts and really could use help deciding what to do. I have everything needed to do a fishless cycle except I only have one filter available between those two ponds. 1. Would I need to get another filter to perform a fishless cycle from scratch or 2. would I be able to just move the existing filter on the outdoor setup that contains all the beneficial bacteria to the indoor pond setup and be able to forgo the cycling and transfer the koi? (If I moved the filter I know to not let it dry out and keep it filled with water) The ponds are roughly the same amount of gallons and I have loads of plants available to transfer also to help in either scenario. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question for you, how many gallons is the pond that's currently holding the koi and how many koi and approx size? I have a good idea but I first need the information requested. I would also recommend to stop feeding the koi once I have your info it's going to make sense. I believe you can accomplish your task without having to purchase a second filter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the response. The pond size that they are currently in is roughly 3200 gallons, there are about 60 or so roughly 2" koi from a batch of fry I've raised. Some are a little bigger than that and some a bit smaller. For the indoor setup I have an above ground pool thats inside a large greenhouse, the pool or pond as I now call it can hold up to 10,000 gallons but can obviously be filled accordingly to whatever amount of gallons makes sense initially.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very simple, place a good airstone in the pond that's currently holding the koi and fill the winter pond with your pond water, bring the filter from the running pond indoors and set it up without cleaning and you will have an indoor pond that's ready for your small koi. Top off the outdoor pond with your water source and you should be set for the winter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks again for the reply, that was what I was hoping to do essentially but the only caveat which I'm realizing now that I forgot to mention is that the indoor pond setup Im intending to use is about 8 miles away at my brother's house with the large greenhouse. Moving the water from one pond to the other is still possible but definitely would be difficult.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well then fill the tank with fresh water and run a couple of airstones for 48hrs and bring the filter over and set it up and you should be fine, remember don't clean the filter you can bring the fish on the same trip or next day and since it's all going to be fresh/new water I recommend you monitor the water parameters every other day for atleast a week.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Perfect, I appreciate your help and will be doing this within the next few days

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007