• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The apparent state of KOIPHEN to-day.

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

The apparent state of KOIPHEN to-day.

A touch of the past!

Should Administrators really be participating in the daily life?
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

gray cat is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      A touch of the past!

Should Administrators really be participating in the daily life?
      Not sure what you mean.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Not!

The wanna be Wikipedia of KOIPHEN has passed on.

Lets see the response,if any.

SouthernStarr is offline Administrator ~WWKC VP ~ WWKC BOD
      is Loving Florida sunshine

Feeling:
      Happy

Come on Garfield. What do you mean with this post?

Proud Member Of The WWKC
      WWKC Lifetime Diamond Charter Member #6

Koiphen 2022 Koi Person of the year

game

Feeling:
      Cool

Forums strengths are as successful, as the many hobbyists that contribute and support them.

Bass0r is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is this some sort of cultural misunderstand or is it just disrespectful, I wish I knew?

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Bass0r View Post
      Is this some sort of cultural misunderstand or is it just disrespectful, I wish I knew?
      Just really odd and random. Looks like someone's in a really bad mood. Maybe it's my drunk uncle in disguise!

Best,

Bill

Bass0r is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I never really got a chance to talk to ICU2, but, I bet I have read 90% of his posts. I wish I had had the opportunity.
      It still amazes me how much impact a total stranger can have on someone across a country, thru an internet post.

"wanna be wikipedia" is a great title for ICU2 and if it was meant as a compliment I would have to agree.

Many times I would use the google search one of ICU2 posts pointed me to. A ton of times, my searches using that method, would lead me to an answer authored by ICU2.

This information, will no doubt, impact not only people across the country, now it will also impact us across time.

I wish I would have thanked him. Dr. Conrad if you are reading this, I thank you as well!

Ken
      Last edited by Bass0r; 10-01-2022 at 06:15 PM.

*Ci* is online now Senior Member ~~ Moderator
      is in aquarium mode!

Feeling:
      Happy

Steve may very well have been the glue that has held Koiphen together for the past few years.
      I do miss the glorious bygone days when there were dozens of knowledgeable posters who seemed to delight in sharing, multiple new interesting pond builds every year and great discussions about koi with folks sharing photos of their incredible fish.

Right now, there are less than a handful of these Koipheners left, and none as prolific a poster as Steve. Who will fill his shoes? How will we keep the forum alive and well?
      Last edited by *Ci*; 10-02-2022 at 01:47 PM.

cindy is offline Supporting Member
      is has 2 new tosai

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      There are several “glues” giving their time and hearts.

stephen is online now Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good Thread Friend

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Forums strengths are as successful, as the many hobbyists that contribute and support them.
      I started Koiphen 18 years ago. It quickly became extremely active. I put my soul, heart and money into it to make it successful! I gave up my leadership role about 15 or so years ago due to the hatred, egos (including mine) & nastiness that was occurring, especially by the hobbies' so called elite. Since then I have not been involved in the decisions.

However; I wanted to to see my child continue on, so with the help of Carl, Coby and many other mods/administrators we created a non profit organization, WWKC, that I sold Koiphen to for $1 15 years ago. (Never have got paid LOL)

While most of the other websites like Koivet, Koi Bito, NI, Newts, copycat Koishack and many others that self destructed because of their Elitism & superior attitude towards the average ponder years or decades ago, Koiphen has continued to flourish for another decade or longer. This was due to the volunteer, unpaid work of our mods and administrators who ensured that ALL ponders were respected. This resulted in many of the bully egos to leave. Some of the team have been here since the beginning. They have indeed worked hard to make this a comfortable, successful place for the last 18 years.

Steve (ICU) was definitely the unselfish driving force behind Koiphen during the last several years. His absence will have a HUGE impact on the future.

WWKC - This has been a failure since its' inception(I take full blame for that). It just didn't work. Why buy the cow when you can have the milk for free? I saw the notice that new memberships will not be accepted. I think that indicates that WWKC will become a thing of the past soon.

Koiphen - There seems to be a decline in the actual hobby itself, coupled with the popularity of social media.

Solutions - No easy ones. No financial support is required at this time. If there are concerned Koiphen members that want to help, I think the best thing is to start threads like Coolwon did this one or reply to this thread. If you are interested in volunteering your free time for an unpaid, frustrating position where you will probably be criticized for your decisions, step up!

A Big Shout Out to all the Mods, Admins & Koiphen Members that has made it possible.

Thanks Everyone - The Future of Koiphen is Yours

Steve

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks to everyone that helps make this happen …

*Ci* is online now Senior Member ~~ Moderator
      is in aquarium mode!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      There are several “glues” giving their time and hearts.
      You’re right, of course, Cindy. I’m just in mourning over the loss of Steve. He was my closest Koiphen friend for so many years …
      I do appreciate the efforts of the remaining mods, admins, and regular posters and hope to do my part in keeping the forum alive, interesting and helpful, as well.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Steve was also instrumental in helping get the "Donate" feature set up on Koiphen four years ago. Thank you to the many Koipheners who have donated since then, both the many who are not members of WWKC, as well as many WWKC members who have given beyond their membership dues.

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have to say as a new participant to the forum, the experience has been mostly pleasant and extremely helpful and knowledgable, thank you all again!

gray cat is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by fly4koi View Post
      I have to say as a new participant to the forum, the experience has been mostly pleasant and extremely helpful and knowledgable, thank you all again!
      So nice to hear and we are glad you are here with us.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by fly4koi View Post
      It takes a village to have a successful forum. We need everyone posting. Thank you for helping out in the ER

We appreciate all our members. We all grieve for Steve. He would want our forum to continue on. Let your friends know about us, and hopefully we have some “new blood”

Proud Member Of The WWKC

UnkleTim is offline Senior Member
      is most excellent

Feeling:
      ----

I started out here a few years before actually starting construction. You taught me to build my last pond first. 17 years later, all,is still well. I’m grateful for the advice through the years.

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
      Koiphen - There seems to be a decline in the actual hobby itself, coupled with the popularity of social media.
      Steve,

I'm new here, I didn't know the whole history, so thanks for the narrative. But this one part, I'm not so sure about.

I made my first pond in California in the 70's. Back then. I didn't know anyone who had a pond. But since then, pond keeping has exploded, and I'm convinced their growth has been linked to the growth of technology.

It was so hard to find answers in those days. Then we got newsgroups and bulletin boards and listservs, and information started to flow. Then came the web, and it was another order of magnitude. In the mid 90's, web forums like this one became possible, and they ruled the roost for about 15 years, in all sorts of fields. People love to talk to each other and exchange information, and this tech was pretty friction-free for that. At each step, the number of pond keepers and the level of knowledge grew exponentially.

Then came social media, and even less friction, and way more pondkeepers. I'm subscribed to this one forum, but I can't even count the number of social media pond landscapes I visit. Facebook groups, reddits, instagrams. It's a long list, and some of those places have tens of thousands of members. Covid may have masked some recent growth, but I suspect it accelerated even then, since folks had time for projects.

The problem now is that social media is a great place for asking questions, but one has to wade through a tremendous amount of cultural mysticism and misinformation. It also doesn't make for a good knowledge repository.

In my mind, that's one of the greatest virtues of koiphen. There are whole encyclopedias of knowledge in the searchable archives here, and some of that knowledge can't be found anywhere else. It's important that we find a way to keep the site alive, and preserve that knowledge. Losing it would be like burning the library at Alexandria.

I don't know exactly how to keep it alive and thriving. But I do think it's something worth doing.

Best,

Bill

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by One Poet's Garden View Post

In my mind, that's one of the greatest virtues of koiphen. There are whole encyclopedias of knowledge in the searchable archives here, and some of that knowledge can't be found anywhere else. It's important that we find a way to keep the site alive, and preserve that knowledge. Losing it would be like burning the library at Alexandria.

I don't know exactly how to keep it alive and thriving. But I do think it's something worth doing.

Best,

Bill
      Rest assured that many of us here are working to save Koiphen. We do have new members joining that are building ponds. They ask questions, get answers, then move on. Steve/icu2 was so knowledgeable with pond construction. I’m hoping someone will step up and be able to help like he did.

Proud Member Of The WWKC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast