• Tired

Thread: female koi bad condition

Koinicole is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

female koi bad condition

Hello all!

I have a problem with my ten year old female. I found her this noon upside down on the bottom. She was still breathing, I put her in between two stones, so she won't be able to flip and put her in front of the jet for oxygen supply. Then my fish doctor came later, he believes it is a trauma. This morning she was fine still, even eating. We do have a lot of foxes lately and they have been seeing strolling gardens, so maybe this is an explanation? Anyway he gave her antibiotics with the syringe to see if she pulls through the night, we have her in a separate pool inside the pond with oxygen supply close to her face. Any suggestions?! As he caressed her, she was 'loosing' bubbles around her body (sorry English is not my mother tongue...)I uploaded a photo, not too good, but you can see her belly... Very grateful for some input... all other five fish are perfectly ok.

Ah, water parameters: Nitrite 0.1,nitrate 1mg,ph 7.6,Kh4,Gh7, ammonia 0, phosphate 3,pond temperature 26C, outside temperature 30C!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Antibiotics shot is the best treatment that you can do, did the vet scrape the body for parasites?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by fly4koi View Post
      Antibiotics shot is the best treatment that you can do, did the vet scrape the body for parasites?
      She died this afternoon. But from what is really haunting me...

Could it have also been that she didn't absorb the eggs this year? She spawned last year for the first time, but not this year...

It just happened so fast, this morning she seemed fine, and then this afternoon she died...

He is not a vet, just takes care of fish and pond but has worked in fish breeding facilities. (we don't have vets for koi in Greece I am afraid).
      But he did not scrape since the other fish look and act fine...

I am enclosing two more photos after she died, maybe someone can shed some light?!

She was my dearest, so kind and social
      Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry to hear that. You need to cut it open and do a post mortem, take pictures, and also take some picture of the gill.
      Here's a vet doing the autopsy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42DAoriYhVI

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So sorry for your lose. It is tough when the favorites go.

In the heat of the day it wont take long for your koi to start to decompose.

For some people it is difficult to perform an autopsy. Specially on a pet.

Good luck

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      That is a bacterial infection. The stomach area gets red from resting on the bottom. Do you have rocks? Sorry for your loss

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for your input!

No, I could not perform a autopsy, we put her to rest in our pet cemetery. But how could a bacterial infection could have happened, not having affected the other 7 koi? And so fast? If so, do I need to do anything in order to protect the others? Or could it have been that maybe non absorbed eggs could have caused this?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      That is a bacterial infection. The stomach area gets red from resting on the bottom. Do you have rocks? Sorry for your loss

Actually we do have rocks, but above the surface of the water (about 3 inches), so injury would have been only possible, if she would have been pushed by the others. All of them are really calm though, only the two little ones (from last year) play a bit rough together.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Usually bacterial infection is secondary, the primary cause can be injury or parasites. The kind of injuries you are looking for are skin/scale damages which allows pathogens to enter the fish's body.

This year I've been dealing with all kinds of of parasites in my pond, from costia to anchor worms. Most of my fish are healthy, but I lost 3 in the last year (2 dropsy, 1 septicemia). It could takes months or just days to kill the fish, so you want to pay attention to your other koi in the pond because the possibility of parasites is high, however without a microscope confirmation and only 1 fish had died, I'm not sure if you should do chemical treatment.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There is not one person anywhere that can give you an answer. Just as there is not one person that can give you an answer as to a persons death based on the same circumstances as your fish. Without an autopsy.

If your fishes environment is healthy and your koi are not showing unusual behavior or issues. I wouldn't worry about the other fish.
      Last edited by kdh; 09-16-2022 at 08:39 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007