• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antibiotics Injection Questions?

fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Day 3, 3 shots of Baytril, daily tricide neo + denture powder bandage. Pulled off some damaged scales near to the tail, red area is turning white, I guess that's sign of healing?
      Water is really cold at 50F, got 600watt heater trying to increase the temp, but at 250gal it might not be possible.

I think this is some sort of secondary infection after some sort of parasite

Thinking to do a 0.5ppm Oxolinic Acid continous treatment or try 2-4ppm of PP?
      But I am not certain if PP is good to treat bacterial infection, would appreciate any feedback, thank you in advance.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by fly4koi; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:35 AM.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your kois bacterial issues are rising back up are probably due to temps. 50F koi has a 10% immune response. Baytril does not kill all the bacteria. It only knocks back the majority and the koi under good conditions resolves the rest of the issue. You have to get the environment/water parameter fluctuations/temps aligned well. Or the koi will have issues resolving its problem. Have seen koi treated and all is well. Only to have the problem come back with a vengeance at a later time.
      Because of the shape of the koi and really dont know what is going on with that. There might be an internal problem that is starting to show up.
      Last edited by kdh; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:08 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, the main pond water quality is reasonbly good, water temp is usually around 55F minimum because the biofilter is inside of the home, I did a 3 BSDT + Fluke-M treatment right before the temperature really dipped below 50F and that seems to have helped (I have see 2 other fish flashing, no more after the treatment), but this yellow one has been not well for years. My QT is in the garage, water is about 300 gal, using 600w heater to help maintain the temp but currently it's only 54F (base temp is 48F), so I feel I need to add some more heater, hopefully with some tarp is able to get it to 60F.

I ordered PP but for now I think I'll use 0.5ppm of Oxolinic Acid in the QT tank to treat the fish for a week while finish up the last 2 shots of Baytril.
      Last edited by fly4koi; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:40 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Update: With 1900w of heater and tarp cover, I was able to bring the water temp to 70F
      Day 7 of Oxolonic Acid 0.5ppm continous treatment, the lower tail fin is mostly recovered, there are rotted edged on the upper fin and it's still red but looks better.
      I also did 2 days of worth of PP 2ppm treatment, multiple doses because the first few turn brown very quickly, going to give it 6-8 hours of time to react, then do a water change to get rid of the oxolinic acid.

Pictures: 11/23, 11/24/22, 11/27
      Last edited by fly4koi; 1 Week Ago at 08:39 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

11/30/22 update, it's been a week off antibiotics, I'm redosing 0.5ppm Oxolinic Acid for another week.
      There are new pink bumps apprearing at the tail, I'm not sure if it's new infection or just dead scales/skin peeling off, which is why I'm doing oxolinic acid.
      Depends on the progression, I might treat again with PP to see if it helps the wound to cauterize/heal, last time I used it the dead cells turn black and fell off.
      I can still see some dead fin rotting away but they are mostly done. This koi has swollen belly, it's better after the treatment but still not normal, its poo floats which indicates some internal issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12