• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: DIY Koi Food Recipes?

WLcreations is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

DIY Koi Food Recipes?

Hi, apologies if this is not the right place to post this question, I was just wondering if anyone makes their own koi food or have any recipes to recommend? I noticed a decline in quality and increase in price for commercial koi food and was wondering if anyone makes their own and what your experiences are? I just want the food to be healthy and improve color if possible.

Primitive is offline Senior Member
      is House remodeling

Feeling:
      Geeky

I recommend that you look into Purina Aquamax 500, it's 3/32 size pellets, it floats, it is mainly made out of fishmeal and it's about 41% protein. I have great growth using it. The fish poop out solid waste and not diarrhea.
      I swear by it, and it's cheap around $60 for 50lbs.
      I think expensive Koi fish food is a totally unnecessary thing in this hobby.
      Just get good fishmeal ingredients from the food.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Primitive View Post
      I recommend that you look into Purina Aquamax 500, it's 3/32 size pellets, it floats, it is mainly made out of fishmeal and it's about 41% protein. I have great growth using it. The fish poop out solid waste and not diarrhea.
      I swear by it, and it's cheap around $60 for 50lbs.
      I think expensive Koi fish food is a totally unnecessary thing in this hobby.
      Just get good fishmeal ingredients from the food.
      Thank you, Primitive! When I googled it, this link came up "AquaMax® Sport Fish 500." Is Aquamax 500 the same as Aquamax Sport Fish 500? Just wanted to make sure because the customer rep in the comments said: "Aquamax Sport Fish 500 is NOT recommended for koi. They are omnivores, and the 500 is recommended for carnivorous fish. For koi fish over 4" in length, we would recommend either Pond Fish 2000 or 4000. Pond Fish 2000 has a larger pellet size, at 5/16", and the Pond Fish 4000 has a 3/16" pellet."

While that's what the rep said in the comments, I trust the folks on this forum more because everyone here has real experiences with koi so what is official or recommended may not always be the most reliable source. If it is the same one you've been using, I'll take a look. The only thing is my pond is a little overstocked (working on expanding pond) so I don't particularly want fast growh, I just want them to have good healthy food.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...WWIt7F0-s45buY
      Last edited by WLcreations; 08-12-2022 at 01:05 PM.

is House remodeling

Feeling:
      Geeky

Use the Aquamax 500, it has the 3mm size pellets shown to have best digestion rate. It is for their sportfish line, but I've seen very very good growth in my pond. My pond is heavily stocked, 44 fish for 3800 gallons. But I have an ungodly amount of filtration and also use an oxidizer for water purification.
      This food works, I feed 10-13x a day.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

"Aquamax Sport Fish 500 is NOT recommended for koi

That statement from the company rep would be enough for me to do some more research before using or buying the Max SF 500. That is MY opinion.

I don't have any trophy winners, but that doesn't make them less valuable to me. What will the cheaper food do to my koi long term? Something? Nothing?

Now I dont see any issue adding the Max, or other fish food (from Farm n Fleet, Purina, etc) to KOI food that has been manufactured designed and formulated just for koi as a filler, or to stretch out your food supply.

I constantly look for sales on koi food. Blackwater Creek ($71.00 for 40 pounds) Mazuri Ogata ($65 buy one get one, 40 pounds total for $65.00).

Again that is my opinion, and koi food is one of those subjects that you will get many many different opinions on what is best for your KOI.

Good luck!

is House remodeling

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      "Aquamax Sport Fish 500 is NOT recommended for koi

That statement from the company rep would be enough for me to do some more research before using or buying the Max SF 500. That is MY opinion.

I don't have any trophy winners, but that doesn't make them less valuable to me. What will the cheaper food do to my koi long term? Something? Nothing?

Now I dont see any issue adding the Max, or other fish food (from Farm n Fleet, Purina, etc) to KOI food that has been manufactured designed and formulated just for koi as a filler, or to stretch out your food supply.

I constantly look for sales on koi food. Blackwater Creek ($71.00 for 40 pounds) Mazuri Ogata ($65 buy one get one, 40 pounds total for $65.00).

Again that is my opinion, and koi food is one of those subjects that you will get many many different opinions on what is best for your KOI.

Good luck!
      To be honest, none of the koi food in a bag are what koi naturally eat in a regular environment. Unless we scrape the rivers and lakes for the raw ingredients, it'll always be approximate. Whether one wants to accept this is up to them.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you everyone for all the valuable input! I will look into all these options. For the past 20 years, I bought my koi food from a little store that got their food from asia. The food was specially made for koi, inexpensive and I've never had any problems with it. But since the pandemic, the store closed and I've been using commercial koi food from big chains and don't think it's as healthy because I noticed I needed to feed more and my kois' color hasn't been as good. So was looking for alterntives.

The DIY receipes in those helpful links are very informative, but may be a bit challenging for me to make myself so I may use it as a suppliment rather than the main food source. It seems it may be better to stay with store bought food, I just have to find the right one. I've just been out of the food market for so long that my assessment of cost/quality ratio needs recalibrating.

is House remodeling

Feeling:
      Geeky

Yup, do your own research. Pull up the list of ingredients between the most expensive saki hikari koi food and compare with the cheaper stuff. See what works for you. I know what worked for me so I'm going with it.

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Primitive View Post
      To be honest, none of the koi food in a bag are what koi naturally eat in a regular environment. Unless we scrape the rivers and lakes for the raw ingredients, it'll always be approximate. Whether one wants to accept this is up to them.
      You are so correct on what koi (carp) eat in the wild. It would be easier to list what they don't eat. That is rocks!

I have fished for carp all my life. We have a cabin on a muddy river. Only thing that bites are carp, or catfish.

We have caught carp on worms, cheese, chicken gizzards, ivory soap, shrimp, clams, corn flakes, Wheaties, minnows, stink bait, dead mice, corn, and a dough ball bait made of corn meal, jello and sugar. I am sure I missed a few baits we have used that carp ate! Anyway carp (koi) in the wild are just the fish version of a garbage disposal!