• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Algae problem in our ponds, NC USA

Lissajane is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Algae problem in our ponds, NC USA

Never had any problems with algae until a few weeks ago, We have had Koi and goldfish for 15 + years, our ponds total about 3000 gals, we researched this issue and from "The Pond Guy" website it recommended a couple of products, we tried one in a very small dose but the fish were gasping for air, we have 2 waterfalls, large pump and 2 filtration systems, anyone have any suggestions how to clear this up

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Is it the single cell variety of algae that causes "green water" or long strings and/or floating clumps of algae with
      pretty clear water?
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Would you say our pond gets full sun or 50% shaded or what? [Plants such as lily pads that cover art of the surface would count as shade.]

Do you use a ultraviolet (UV) filter to kill algae, and if so, is it still functioning?

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Here's a good thread about how green water can cause PH swings between morning and evening (depending on KH and other factors), causing koi health problems.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...-and-PH-swings

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Pond Algae

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Would you say our pond gets full sun or 50% shaded or what? [Plants such as lily pads that cover art of the surface would count as shade.]

Do you use a ultraviolet (UV) filter to kill algae, and if so, is it still functioning?
      Thanks for replying, one pond is shaded with Lilies, the other gets mostly sun, We actually run 3 UV's 2x9 watt and 1x25 watt, they are working well, we need to install an new pump later in the year, what size would you recommend?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As far as we can tell its just single cell

Leecm3 is offline Member
      is Browsing Koiphen

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Lissajane View Post
      Thanks for replying, one pond is shaded with Lilies, the other gets mostly sun, We actually run 3 UV's 2x9 watt and 1x25 watt, they are working well, we need to install an new pump later in the year, what size would you recommend?
      How often do you change the bulbs in your UVs?

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Be careful if using any chemical treatments during hot weather .

simplechamp is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not meaning to highjack the thread, hopefully this can be of some use to the OP as well.

Can anyone explain what would make a pond have green water versus the thick mats/strings of algae? I know both would be caused by excess nutrients and/or excess sun exposure. So is it just what type of algae happens to get in your pond?

Our water is crystal clear but the algae layer on liner is getting a little out of hand in some spots.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

As far as we can tell its just single cell
      Single cell algae is often referred to as "green water" since many times there's really no algae "plant" but just
      thick green water that you can't see down more than a foot or so. UV's are normally a quick way of controlling green water
      so if the UV's are working well I'd think you wouldn't have the green water. If the algae is new then I'd second Leecm3's
      question. The bulbs usually only last a year or so and then substantially start to degrade.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

... We actually run 3 UV's 2x9 watt and 1x25 watt, they are working well, we need to install an new pump later in the year, what size would you recommend?
      I would try to match the flow rate as best I can with the flow rate suggested by the manufacturer. If flow is too slow, algae will not be killed as fast. If flow is too fast (I'm not sure but) the algae may not be exposed to the UV long enough for optimal effectiveness. The pump does not have to be the same rating as the UV. You can divert some of the flow from a larger pump to go through the UV and send the rest of the flow through your filters or something.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
      ... what would make a pond have green water versus the thick mats/strings of algae? I know both would be caused by excess nutrients and/or excess sun exposure. So is it just what type of algae happens to get in your pond?
      I've only seen the long strands of string algae in the early spring in my main pond, not in all springs, just in occasional years. I don't like that pieces break off and clog the filters. But they seem to die when the water warms up. If it gets too bad, I may use a little salt (~0.2%) for a little while to knock it back.

The green water algae usually occurs in the early spring in my other pond which had less fish load, but no UV. That pond has trees around it, and the green water goes away when the leaves come on. If it gets too bad before then, I may partially cover that pond with a tarp for a while, which knocks back the green water.

I'm fine with the algae that looks like carpet, since it does not obscure the view or clog filters.

Enrgizerbunny is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Why are you replacing your pump?

Have you made any changes last/this year? Shade, fish load/growth/feeding, filtration?

Since you've been successful with your pond I'm on the path of "something is different" and if nothing has changed - consider changing your UV bulbs. Eventually they wear out.

UV does one thing - damage algae cells. This does two things : 1. Eventually kills the cell. 2. Cause other healthy algae cells to clump with the damaged cells into groups large enough to get stuck in your filter. If the UV isn't damaging enough cells, it's not working even if the light is on.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007