• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Anyone have problems with possums?

simplechamp is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anyone have problems with possums?

For the past few weeks we've been noticing some mystery poop showing up in our yard. Definitely not dog or cat. Small animal of some type but didn't know if it'd be skunk or racoon or possum. So we decided to put out some bait (cat food) and stake it out with our pond cam.

Turns out it's possums, at least 2 maybe 3. Believe they're living under our neighbors deck. Is there any concern about possums messing with goldfish and small koi? I've reviewed some of the cam footage and haven't ever seen them go near the pond. Only saw them when pointing the camera out in the yard. Judging by their poop they're eating mostly berries but I know the are omnivores and opportunistic feeders. But I thought they more scavenged and ate fruit and bugs rather than hunting fish like racoons will do?

Really don't want to relocate them if they aren't bothering anything. Not sure if I'm even allowed to anyway with local rules/laws.

Has anyone had issues with them? I've done a bit of reading, most people say they could go after fish but usually won't. The couple places that said you definitely need to protect from possums we're flakey blogs that have ads and affiliate links so you can buy stuff and they make a buck. So I take that with several grains of salt.

gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is Enjoying the summer. :)

Feeling:
      Happy

My pond is 20 years old and I have always had possums in my yard. Even baby ones. They have never bothered the pond once. Having possums is a lot better than racoons that will tear your pond up catching your fish. Unless you have a problem, I doubt that you will, I would leave them alone. They are great about killing venomous snakes, which is a good thing.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

If you are in an urban setting it's best to get rid of them due to the many potential diseases they and their feces can transfer. Most communities have laws against relocation. Not good for children and pets to have piles of wild animal crap around the house.

I live on a farm and fortunately can legally move the ones that come to the house to a remote woods on the property.

UnkleTim is offline Senior Member
      is most excellent

Feeling:
      ----

They’re good to have around as they are total tick destroyers.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

We've never had trouble with the possums. Small koi and goldfish are more at risk to fishing birds, raccoons, cats, and snakes.

Feeling:
      Happy

Best to let wild animals live away from your house. The tick stories were created in an attempt to soften their image. Get a chicken and they'll eat up to 30X more ticks. If you have children or pets get rid of them.

Name:  SmartSelect_20220804-184931_Chrome.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  26.2 KB

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Best to let wild animals live away from your house. The tick stories were created in an attempt to soften their image. Get a chicken and they'll eat up to 30X more ticks. If you have children or pets get rid of them.

Name:  SmartSelect_20220804-184931_Chrome.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  26.2 KB
      Dont you just love google. lol

https://forfoxsakewildlife.com/2018/...pread-disease/

Feeling:
      Happy

Yes - you'll find an opinion to fit your feelings on the internet. Non deniable fact about bad potential of wild animal feces. In an urban environment it's not good to let , ground hogs, skunks, opossums, and racoons move in. Someone in our water garden club living in a congested housing development was feeding raccoons 50 lbs of dog food a week. Racoons got so bad neighbors finally couldn't take it any more. Had to get the law involved.

Piles of wild animal crap all around the yard ain't good. There are independent studies not burdened by opinion groups with good analysis.
      Last edited by BWG; 6 Days Ago at 07:34 PM.

Feeling:
      Happy

State of California wildlife pest management

Name:  SmartSelect_20220804-192955_Chrome.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  321.7 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well I think piles of crap all around the yard is a little exaggerated at this point. I mean, I've scooped up maybe 4-5 small poops over the last few weeks. But I get your point, we certainly don't want our daughter getting into that. I'm in the backyard almost every day tending to pond and garden so quite diligent about getting rid of any I find. I guess I went into this really only worried about the pond and not thinking of the potential human impact. I'm not totally sold that they're the plague carriers some of those things make them out to be, but I will have to think on it more I guess.

At this point I need to do a little more recon to confirm if they really are living under neighbors deck. If so I'll have a chat with them and see what their feelings are. I'd want them to tell me if the roles were reversed, seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice.

Feeling:
      Happy

I don't think they are mass carriers either but the bad stuff has been documented and can exist. Don't provide a safe home or food and they will move on.

As for opossums fishing I've never seen that happen in the wild. Racoons are also very poor fishermen. They need shallow water and structure to trap and pin fish. They will try and can damage or kill fish in shallow water and bends. Internet videos of racoons fishing for small goldfish in shallow tubs show just how inept they are. Same for house cats and the bad fishing rap they get. Mink, weasel and otter are a different story and easily swim and catch fish.
      Last edited by BWG; 6 Days Ago at 01:00 AM.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well first of all. Dont feed the animals. Its tempting to me as i have tree squirrels and chipmunks all day around my place.
      As far as diseases transmitted from possums to humans. VERY RARE. And I wouldnt worry about it. But as soon as a government agency prints something that scares people. It becomes over exaggerated and turns to common. Like rabies,tetanus,eboli, etc.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah I'm totally on board with you there. For a minute I thought maybe we put food out so they eat that and leave pond alone. But I thought better of it. Shouldn't be training them to get food from humans and would just attract other critters like racoons and feral cats.

gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is Enjoying the summer. :)

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
      Yeah I'm totally on board with you there. For a minute I thought maybe we put food out so they eat that and leave pond alone. But I thought better of it. Shouldn't be training them to get food from humans and would just attract other critters like racoons and feral cats.
      Yes that is right. You sure don't want raccoons around your pond and fish.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!