• Tired

Thread: Drum filter needed?

daniel95 is offline Member
      is .

Feeling:
      ----

Drum filter needed?

Hi,

Moving house so construction of a new pond happening. I was considering taking the plunge $$$ and getting a drum filter for the new setup, but was wondering based on my clarity am I gaining any advantage with this? I currently run a SC > 2x S&G > static bio. As you can see it is a turtle pond with logs, and hides, and 5ft deep.

Ideally I just want a smaller filter foot print as both the SC & static bio are in IBC's. I just don't want to commit to the huge cost if nothing really changes, or if the same can just be achieved with a cetus sieve. With the drum I can just go drum> MB which will be a massive space reduction, but not too much of an issue.

Cheers!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  264.0 KB
      Name:  2.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  277.0 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

NaturalK is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If it's that clear then probably not worth it/need it.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by daniel95 View Post
      Hi,

Moving house so construction of a new pond happening. I was considering taking the plunge $$$ and getting a drum filter for the new setup, but was wondering based on my clarity am I gaining any advantage with this? I currently run a SC > 2x S&G > static bio. As you can see it is a turtle pond with logs, and hides, and 5ft deep.

Ideally I just want a smaller filter foot print as both the SC & static bio are in IBC's. I just don't want to commit to the huge cost if nothing really changes, or if the same can just be achieved with a cetus sieve. With the drum I can just go drum> MB which will be a massive space reduction, but not too much of an issue.

Cheers!
      If you truly just want a smaller foot print than two IBC totes, a RDF or sieve would certainly do that... as well as reduce weekly (or so) maintenance of
      dumping the SC. Your water looks very clear and it looks like it would be hard to improve on that.

The flow rate through your SC would in part tell you if a single Cetus would be enough. The other thing is a Cetus is going to
      mechanically filter down to about 300 micron. Most RDF's seem to filter down to about 50 microns or less, as well as flow more than the sieve.
      But of course that come with a bigger price tag.

I hope you'll share your build when you get moved and started with the project!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

daniel95 is offline Member
      is .

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      If you truly just want a smaller foot print than two IBC totes, a RDF or sieve would certainly do that... as well as reduce weekly (or so) maintenance of
      dumping the SC. Your water looks very clear and it looks like it would be hard to improve on that.

The flow rate through your SC would in part tell you if a single Cetus would be enough. The other thing is a Cetus is going to
      mechanically filter down to about 300 micron. Most RDF's seem to filter down to about 50 microns or less, as well as flow more than the sieve.
      But of course that come with a bigger price tag.

I hope you'll share your build when you get moved and started with the project!
      Good points! Would a sieve>MB be sufficient? or is a sieve>S&G> MB better? I can only source cetus sieves & Draco drums here in AUS without paying extra 2k for importation, unfortunately. I've heard about a few electronic/mechanical issues with the Draco so still hesitant to make the commitment.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by daniel95 View Post
      Good points! Would a sieve>MB be sufficient? or is a sieve>S&G> MB better? I can only source cetus sieves & Draco drums here in AUS without paying extra 2k for importation, unfortunately. I've heard about a few electronic/mechanical issues with the Draco so still hesitant to make the commitment.
      I personally would go with the s/g (or 2) to mb option. A s/g filter can filter to about 50 microns, so close to what a RDF can do. The draw
      back is the lower flow rate, but also without the price tag.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007