• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 23

    Thread: my koi recently from time to time will turn it's body sideways. (Vid & img attached)

    1. #1
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9

      my koi recently from time to time will turn it's body sideways. (Vid & img attached)

      Please help me identify do my fish have any disease or parasites infection. Thx. :)

      Name:  389E781C-77FF-4DB8-9B94-EBD3AAEEE034.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  73.1 KB

    2. #2
      fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      123
      Please provide water measurement parameter, pH, KH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate readings.
      This is called flashing, can be parasite or water quality issue. Is it just one fish or multiple?

    3. #3
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9

      Test result.

      Hi Fly4koi, multiple fish in my pond have flashing issue.
      Below are my test results (test with API test kit):
      High pH(8.2)
      Ammonia(0ppm)
      Nitrite(0ppm)
      Nitrate(10ppm)
      Kh(2/0-50ppm)
      Gh(9-8/140-200ppm)
      Water temperature(27C-31C / 80.6F-87.8F)

      Thanks.

    4. #4
      fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      123
      So you have two options, you can salt the pond (which will kill your algae) or you do a Proform-C/BSDT + Fluke M to blindly treat for parasite blindly, unless you have a microscope and can scrape the fish to identify the parasites.
      I would probably do the later chemical treatment.

    5. #5
      NaturalK is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Location
      AZ
      Posts
      477
      your Kh is really low too, should look into dosing some baking soda cause pH fluctuation also causes irritation

    6. #6
      RichToyBox's Avatar
      RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sandston, VA
      Posts
      14,725
      I would be dosing baking soda to get the KH up to over 100ppm. I liked keeping mine upwards of 150, but had a heavy load and wanted some cushion. When it drops below 80, pH can start shifting morning to evening, and the resultant shifts are stressful, and with a KH as low as yours it is possible you are in a pH crash. Try taking the pH first thing in the morning and see if it is still anywhere close to 8.


      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

    7. #7
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9
      Sorry for asking stupid questions. You guys said that I should add baking soda to the pond to increase Kh, but I thought that baking soda will also increase pH of my pond and the recommendations pH for koi pond is 6.5pH-8.5pH. Thanks.

    8. #8
      RichToyBox's Avatar
      RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sandston, VA
      Posts
      14,725
      Baking soda will not raise the pH above 8.3, but if the KH is above 80ppm, then the pH will be a constant 8.3. If the pH goes above the 8.3, it is an indication that their is too little calcium in the pond. There are other pH buffers that can be used on small aquariums, but are cost prohibitive for ponds. Some fish need acidic waters so baking soda is not the best buffer for them, but for koi, goldfish and most of our common pond fish, baking soda does the job, does it well, and is cheap. !3 pound bag at wholesale clubs is around $6, and similar in the swimming pool section at Walmart.


      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

    9. #9
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9
      RichToyBox thanks.

      Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

    10. #10
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9
      fly4koi and NaturalK thanks.

    11. #11
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9
      Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Baking soda will not raise the pH above 8.3, but if the KH is above 80ppm, then the pH will be a constant 8.3. If the pH goes above the 8.3, it is an indication that their is too little calcium in the pond. There are other pH buffers that can be used on small aquariums, but are cost prohibitive for ponds. Some fish need acidic waters so baking soda is not the best buffer for them, but for koi, goldfish and most of our common pond fish, baking soda does the job, does it well, and is cheap. !3 pound bag at wholesale clubs is around $6, and similar in the swimming pool section at Walmart.
      Richtoybox, i would like to ask that if i add oyster shell into the pond will it be same as the baking soda will not raise the pH above 8.3 and only increase the KH. thanks.

    12. #12
      KingstonKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2020
      Location
      Gig Harbor, WA
      Posts
      146
      Baking soda will immediately start acting on raising the KH and stabilizing the pH. The problem with oyster shells as they take a long time to work. That’s because they don’t dissolve as readily as baking soda does.

    13. #13
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9
      Quote Originally Posted by KingstonKoi View Post
      Baking soda will immediately start acting on raising the KH and stabilizing the pH. The problem with oyster shells as they take a long time to work. Thats because they dont dissolve as readily as baking soda does.
      Hi KingstonKoi, yes i know but my country water is soft water so I am looking for a long term way to increase the KH. Thanks.

    14. #14
      fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      123
      I tried oyster shell, you need lots and lots of them. Baking soda is really the way to go.

    15. #15
      RichToyBox's Avatar
      RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sandston, VA
      Posts
      14,725
      Oyster shells require the water to go somewhat acid to dissolve and neutralize the acids. I don't think it will do anything to increase the KH, though if you have enough and run the water through, you may be able to have a stable pH, but it won't be at the 8.3. I like baking soda as it is immediate, and if in sufficient quantity, the pH is stable. If your water is extremely soft, as in GH near zero, then addition of calcium chloride is needed, and epsom salts may be required. Without sufficient calcium in the pond, then the pH can shoot up higher than the 8.3, as carbonates have a high pH but readily combine with calcium to make calcium carbonate, a precipitate that is a solid in these pH ranges.


      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

    16. #16
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9
      Quote Originally Posted by fly4koi View Post
      I tried oyster shell, you need lots and lots of them. Baking soda is really the way to go.
      Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Oyster shells require the water to go somewhat acid to dissolve and neutralize the acids. I don't think it will do anything to increase the KH, though if you have enough and run the water through, you may be able to have a stable pH, but it won't be at the 8.3. I like baking soda as it is immediate, and if in sufficient quantity, the pH is stable. If your water is extremely soft, as in GH near zero, then addition of calcium chloride is needed, and epsom salts may be required. Without sufficient calcium in the pond, then the pH can shoot up higher than the 8.3, as carbonates have a high pH but readily combine with calcium to make calcium carbonate, a precipitate that is a solid in these pH ranges.
      ok. Thanks guys. I think i will stick back with adding baking powder.

    17. #17
      fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      123
      Quote Originally Posted by Jyc View Post
      ok. Thanks guys. I think i will stick back with adding baking powder.
      Baking SODA, not baking powder.

    18. #18
      Jyc is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2022
      Location
      Asia
      Posts
      9
      Ops . Sorry. It's baking soda.

    19. #19
      fly4koi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      123
      Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      If your water is extremely soft, as in GH near zero, then addition of calcium chloride is needed, and epsom salts may be required. Without sufficient calcium in the pond, then the pH can shoot up higher than the 8.3, as carbonates have a high pH but readily combine with calcium to make calcium carbonate, a precipitate that is a solid in these pH ranges.
      Hi Richard, what's the typical recipe for GH additive and what's the ideal ppm? Thanks.

    20. #20
      RichToyBox's Avatar
      RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      Awesome
       
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Sandston, VA
      Posts
      14,725


      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •