• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Veteriarian service for Koi in the Denver area.

Raven2014 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Veteriarian service for Koi in the Denver area.

Hello,

One of my Koi is sick (I think it's an infection), I have been trying to treat it with widespectrum anti-biotic but the conditiona doesn't improve so I'm thinking calling in a vet. The problem is the only one come up in my search is 1h away, and they charge $300 just for coming out. I called a few Vet around my area but they only care for dogs and cats, does anyone know of a marine vet hospital around the Denver area?

Thanks.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I'm not sure who you found an hour away and this is an old list but might be worth investigating...

Dr. Eugene Pei, DVM
      Animal Central
      8308 Church Ranch Blvd.
      Westminster, CO 80021
      303-469-7387
      www.animalcentral.net

Dr. Jena Questen, DVM
      Traveling Koi Vet - Denver, CO Area
      1-877-DrKoiUS
      Email: drq@drkoi.com
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...-friendly-vets
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah, Dr Jena is the one came out today. She said the trip took 30min (but it showed 1h on google map).

Anyway, just think I update here to see if anyone have further input. The vet didn't find anything wrong with it with scrape and scope, so we eliminated infection or parasite as the cause. The only thing she found was the gill doesn't seem to have enough oxygen (which could be a result of a nitrite spike when I moved it to quarantine 2 months ago, although I did keep the water conditioned and salt back then). The fish is also having trouble keeping balance and laying on the side (although it can swim upright), also showing sight of extreme stress.

Overall there isn't any medication planned. She told me to dose Melafix to keep away secondary infection. I'm under advise to keep the water temp at 76degree, keep salt level at 1cup of salt per 20g (she gave me this dosage when I told her I don't have a reliable saline meter*). She also advised me to hand feed the fish with organic baby veggie food since it had stopped eating for 2 months now, which I just did.

Can anyone recommend me a reliable-easy to use salt-meter? I had purchased a couple in the pass but they were all TPS that needed constant calibrations, and not that reliable with hard-water. Is there one that just measure salt?

Thanks.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

This is one that many have used, https://www.amazon.com/Trans-Instrum...-garden&sr=1-3 which reads in percentage. Some of the similar meters read in ppt, which 1ppt is the same as 0.1 percent. Most TDS meters work the same way but read in PPM, where 1000ppm is the same as 1ppt or 0.1%.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Rick, I don't understand how these things work, but in the past I had heard if you water contain other stuffs, TDS is a total of everything, not just salt level. Is the one you link specifically only measure salt?

Also, one cup of salt per 20g, what is the approximate % of that amount?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Raven2014 View Post
      Thanks Rick, I don't understand how these things work, but in the past I had heard if you water contain other stuffs, TDS is a total of everything, not just salt level. Is the one you link specifically only measure salt?

Also, one cup of salt per 20g, what is the approximate % of that amount?
      I have the same meter as Rich linked to and yes, it only registers salinity. There's a button that will read either % or ppt.
      It works great.

There's a set of calculators at the top of the forum in the dark blue navigation bar named "Koi Calculators". Go to the Salinity
      tab and you can put in the gallons and the amount of salt and it'll show you the percentage.
      1 cup of salt weighs about 9 oz. so in 20 gallons it should give you about .337%.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I believe these meters measure the conductivity of water. Distilled water is a pretty good insulator, but add a little salt and it becomes a very good conductor of electricity. Any salt, (not just sodium chloride) due to the ionic nature, will enhance the conductivity of the water and as such be shown on the meter. To get a true reading of the salinity change that you are striving for, you really need to get a base line reading and then measure the change. The TDS meters are marketed with one of the features to show how contaminated the water is and then with RO or distilled water how much cleaner the water is. Note I said cleaner, not healthier. Due to most water supplies having some salinity, you can get some reading on tap water, but generally it is well below the readability of the salt meters. TDS measures generally in ppm, where the salt meters measure at 0.1ppt, or 100 times greater.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

KOIAnon is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Colorado State University has a veterinary hospital that sees fish.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007