• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New koi, extreme lethargy. +Mystery nitrite source.

koikoikoikoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

New koi, extreme lethargy. +Mystery nitrite source.

New koi, much smaller than pond mates, has been laying on the bottom of the pond for the last 2 days. Faces the corner most of the time but has shown improvement from laying on his side. This is the only koi struggling so far.

Is this related solely to a nitrite spike I had or could this be disease/virus? I have a separate 125 gallon and a spare heater. Should I quarantine or would that make his condition worse?

Backstory: I saw new koi laying on his side after about a week of normal swimming. Tested the water immediately and found My filter suddenly started struggling. .5/5/40 unbelievable to me because I had changed the water recently. Did 75% water change, dosed with nitrite detox level of prime and I Had stopped feeding 4+ days ago but there seems to be nitrites doubling daily. .25 after water change last night to .5 tonight. Nitrates seem to be accumulating as well. Source is a mystery because I havenít fed them in at least 4 days.

Any help would be appreciated. I would be devastated if I lost them.

fly4koi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What's your KH level? Add baking soda to keep the buffer up, it seems like your biofilter had crashed and it's restarting, recommending daily water change of maybe 25% (remove chlorine if possible) until you no longer test nitrite nor ammonia.
      Last edited by fly4koi; 05-25-2022 at 02:28 PM.

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If nitrit is the problem and you have no problem with ammonia, adding NaCl is easier to do than daily water change. Add so much NaCl that Cl-ions are at least 100-fold of nitrite.