• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What is this, fungal or bacterial?

Manns50 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

What is this, fungal or bacterial?

Just noticed this a couple days ago on my gin ren.
      I put a little Mela fix in there this morning but not enough to complete the dosage only had a little bit in the bottle mother bottle. Getting ready to do a partial water change and possibly locate him to a quarantine tank. It was hard to get a good picture of it but it seems to be developed around the fin and he has a spot on the side of his body near the tail. A few weeks ago I added my UV light, partial water change and I killed a pretty good algae bloom and normally do a partial water change afterwards but i’ve been busy not been able to get to it. The water is cleared up now but I have not checked my water parameters yet. Will do that tonight.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Moving your thread to the ER section. Please post your pond Water Parameters:

Ammonia
      Nitrite
      Nitrate
      GH-general hardness
      KH-carbonate hardness or total alkalinity
      PH
      Pond temperature
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

It's hard to tell from those pictures... if you can get some clearer ones it would help.

Are the scales raised in a pine cone type fashion along with the bulging eyes?

Melafix is tea tree oil and smells good but I don't think will help with this and might make things worse.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      It's hard to tell from those pictures... if you can get some clearer ones it would help.

Melafix is tea tree oil and smells good but I don't think will help with this and might make things worse.
      Yes just like you described. I picked up some primafix but was unsure if it’s fungal or bacterial. I put him in 110 gallon stock tank can I have about 4 to 5% salt in the water. It looks like the scales all over his body is raised up some but especially around the side legion and most of his dorsal fin is gone.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post

Hopefully these pics are better.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Edit:

With the new pictures I edited the post as I don't see as much "pine coning" as I thought from the other picture.
      The sores look like ulcers and might be helped with Tricide Neo:

https://cascade-pond-supply.com/Tric...eo-p-1368.html

Ulcers need very clean healthy water to heal.
      I'll add the original text in too in case there are more raised scales than are visible in the the new pics and
      if it might be helpful:

It sounds like dropsy which doesn't have a good track record of being easy to recover from and often results
      in death. The pine cone effect is from the inability of the fish to expel water due to internal bacteria and/or kidney
      damage. Bringing the water .9% (POINT nine percent, not nine percent) will make it easier for osmosis to occur
      and can help transfer water through the skin. If he's still eating you can try antibiotic treated food or if available,
      antibiotic injections.

Often times dropsy occurs due to poor water conditions. If you have rocks in the pond bottom you might consider
      removing them and/or increasing or improving your ponds filtration.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

[QUOTE=icu2;2797060]Edit:

With the new pictures I edited the post as I don't see as much "pine coning" as I thought from the other picture.
      The sores look like ulcers and might be helped with Tricide Neo:

https://cascade-pond-supply.com/Tric...eo-p-1368.html

Ulcers need very clean healthy water to heal.
      I'll add the original text in too in case there are more raised scales than are visible in the the new pics and
      if it might be helpful:

It sounds like dropsy which doesn't have a good track record of being easy to recover from and often results
      in death. The pine cone effect is from the inability of the fish to expel water due to internal bacteria and/or kidney
      damage. Bringing the water .9% (POINT nine percent, not nine percent) will make it easier for osmosis to occur
      and can help transfer water through the skin. If he's still eating you can try antibiotic treated food or if available,
      antibiotic injections.

Often times dropsy occurs due to poor water conditions. If you have rocks in the pond bottom you might consider
      removing them and/or increasing or improving your ponds filtration.[/QUOTE

He ended up not making it. It was pretty bad.
      The rest of the Koi seem really healthy and are eating well. He had actually stopped eating. I really appreciate your input, thank you!
      Yes I’ve had this pond for about 15 yrs. Rarely have any issues at all. None like this. It’s a smooth, taper bottom to a drain. I’ve been really busy and neglected getting the UV in the system in the spring developed a very large algae bloom. I did a partial water change when I added my large UV with a new bulb. I normally follow up after the piece of clothes away and do another person water change. But with work and obligations and weather preventing it at times my normal routine did not happen. I did finally do a partial water change when I moved this one to a quarantine tank. Looked at the water the next day and all of the perimeters look OK there was a small amount of nitrates but low.
      I have an electronic meter that will read it very accurately but I think the strips that I have are expired I will order more. But the water is crystal clear now and only thing a little off is nitrates.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007