• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi suddenly having cloudy eye, white skin turning red, and opening and closing mouth

koifish3709 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi suddenly having cloudy eye, white skin turning red, and opening and closing mouth

I don't have any equipment to test water parameters. We bought our koi on impuse and didn't think much about serious fish raising.

But today, in the span of about 6 hours, my koi suddenly started to develop a cloudy eye, and it's white skin has turned a reddish hue. Below are some pictures as examples.

This is his skin today:
      Name:  koi.png
Views: 176
Size:  407.3 KB

Whereas this is how his skin should be
      Name:  koi-fish.png
Views: 169
Size:  29.9 KB

There's a little redder hue.

The koi also has a cloudy eye:
      Name:  cloudyeye.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  20.9 KB

Whereas this is how his eye usually looks like:
      Name:  noncloudy.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  18.0 KB

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing his situation? His mouth is also opening and closing a lot.

EDIT:
      Thank you for your replies. At this point I don't think our fish is going to make it since it has started losing its balance while swimming, but I still want to know what is wrong. We have put it in the quarantine tank.

We went out to buy a Master test kit. We tested the water and it had the following parameters.
      pH = 7.8
      Ammonia: 0.25ppm
      Nitrite: 0ppm
      Nitrate: 0ppm

If it helps, we usually fill our tank with tap water.

I think some of its skin is also shedding. Below is an image of him now:
      Name:  sickkoi.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  43.1 KB

Whereas this is how he is usually
      Name:  healthykoi.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  54.5 KB

He has also developed this "belly up" swim and seem to be gulping for air (this was before the quarantine pond). But we never have had oxygen issues before and it seems like all the other fish are fine.

If anyone can help us figure out what's wrong, thanks a bunch!
      Last edited by koifish3709; 04-23-2022 at 07:03 AM.

trapper is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm not much help here but someone will see this soon, good luck.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Without test numbers it is just stabbing in the dark and that can get expensive. There are 2 main causes of these types of symptoms, water quality and parasites. When it comes to water quality there are two main factors that will cause these symptoms, high ammonia and low pH. If you have both high ammonia and low pH then correcting the pH will make the ammonia more toxic. To bind the ammonia, you will need to use high doses of an ammonia binding dechlorinator, but not knowing your available products, I cannot be sure which to recommend, but use 3 or 4 times the label doses, which are the dosages for chlorine, but higher doses are needed to bind high ammonia. To correct a low pH, ie pH crash which will kill the filters making for high ammonia, you neede to add sodium bicarbonate, but the amount needed is most easily calculated if you have the test kit for KH, and using the calculator at the top of the page for alkalinity, attempt to bring the KH to 100 ppm (6 drops) to 200 ppm (12 drops).

The other treatments are for parasites and the most common are best treated with a mix of formalin and malachite green, followed by a treatment for flukes. It is cheapest and easiest to bring the water parameters to where they should be and if the parasites are treated but the water is not right, the stress of living in a less than ideal environment will not allow the fish to heal.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello, thank you all for your help. It doesn't seem like our fish is going to make it at the moment but I still want to know what's the cause.

We went out to buy the Master test kit today. Below are our tank results:
      PH: 7.4
      Ammonia: 0.25ppm
      Nitrite: 0ppm
      Nitrate: 0ppm

If it helps, we use tap water for our tanks.

The fish seemed to have developed a "belly up" swim, so I suspect for some reason, it is not getting enough oxygen. But oxygen has never been an issue for us.

We have put the fish in the quarantine tank for now and added some generic anti-baterial liquid. It's skin has also somehow started peeling and it is no longer able to keep upright.

This is him now:
      Name:  sickkoi.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  43.1 KB

How he was before:
      Name:  healthykoi.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  54.5 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello,

Our koi passed away yesterday. Despite this, I still want to know if anyone here knows the disease it suffered from. It would really do us a lot of good as we would be able to disinfect the tank properly.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

It would be hard to tell what the cause was, but it would help if you could describe any actions the fish exhibited before. Parasites will generally cause strange swimming behavior, but with no more information on the fishes behavior, it would be difficult to say. For most of the parasites, I like a product that is a mix of formalin and malachite green, 3 treatments, one per day, followed by a fluke treatment. If there are other fish in the tank, are they exhibiting any behavior issues? A different treatment works, but I recommend you get a salt meter, TDS meter, and add 5 pounds of salt per 100 gallons and leave it for a couple of weeks. This will give a salinity of 0.6% and after a couple of weeks can be diluted out by normal water changes.

With a pH of 7.4, I suspect the KH (carbonate hardness) is low, and the KH test kit will help you be sure to have a KH of 100 ppm(6 drops) to 200 ppm(12 drops) which will stabilize the pH at about 8.3.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There are a couple of abnormal behaviours that the koi exhibited. One of them was that it started swimming in a "belly up" position and opened and closed his mouth a lot. Red streaks started appearing in his white skin (as you can see in my first post) and the red patch at the top of his head started peeling after a day after I made this post (as seen in the fourth post in the forum).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't have anything that I can hang anything on. Most times with parasites and sometimes with high ammonia or radically swinging pH, the fish will flash, breach, or otherwise show its displeasure with the environment. Individual fish with no other signs can be other issues that won't affect the general population.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

GSD is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Curious, op said they use tap water but didnt say if they use a dechlorinater? I dont know much so i can't offer any other insight but that's the question that popped in my head when i read it

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Straight tap water without dechlorination can cause problems with chlorine, or in the case of chloramine, both chlorine and ammonia, and I found my fish often liked to play in the stream of incoming water. Both chlorine and ammonia can burn the gills, and that could be a problem. In aquarium type settings it is always best to draw up the water, allow temperature to balance with the tank, and treat for ammonia and chlorine before addition, but that is almost impossible for ponds, due to volume.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

SimonW is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are there any other fish than this koi in the same water?

As it was a new purchase (no active bio-filter) it was probably killed by ammonia, unless there were other fish together with this koi and they have been fine.
      Last edited by SimonW; 04-27-2022 at 01:43 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
      Are there any other fish than this koi in the same water?

As it was a new purchase (no active bio-filter) it was probably killed by ammonia, unless there were other fish together with this koi and they have been fine.

There were other fish in the same water and they are fine (so far).

Is it possible that the koi ate something that made it sick? For example, ate a mosquito that happened to fly into the water carrying a disease? Also, we have been using tap water for a quite a while now, and we do water changes every few days or so, so in terms of water quality, I doubt it has varied very much.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi, bumping this thread real quick. Does anyone have any idea what disease my fish might have gotten? It would really make me sad if I didn't know figure it out. Thanks!

fly4koi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So, over the course of the last 6 years I've had 4 sick koi, 2 which I saved and 2 passed away, and additionally 2 that just died suddenly. My water quality is generally good and I maintain alkalinity with baking soda.
      Recently I was finally able to diagnose that it is the parasite costia, which causes a varieties of problem BUT can be hard to scrape and only limited to a single symptomatic fish in the pond, even though the parasite is everywhere in the pond.
      BSDT seem to have helped tremendously, I have a big yamabuki that I saved form 4 years ago that seem to have gone blind and at time lethargic and was not able to eat floating pellets, and what do you know, after the BSDT treatment to the pond it is beginning to behave normally and today it was able to actually eat the floating feed!

Having said that, there shouldn't be any ammonia or nitrite in the pond, that means your bio filter is not working properly, but if I had to take a guess I would say it's likely costia.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by fly4koi View Post
      So, over the course of the last 6 years I've had 4 sick koi, 2 which I saved and 2 passed away, and additionally 2 that just died suddenly. My water quality is generally good and I maintain alkalinity with baking soda.
      Recently I was finally able to diagnose that it is the parasite costia, which causes a varieties of problem BUT can be hard to scrape and only limited to a single symptomatic fish in the pond, even though the parasite is everywhere in the pond.
      BSDT seem to have helped tremendously, I have a big yamabuki that I saved form 4 years ago that seem to have gone blind and at time lethargic and was not able to eat floating pellets, and what do you know, after the BSDT treatment to the pond it is beginning to behave normally and today it was able to actually eat the floating feed!

Having said that, there shouldn't be any ammonia or nitrite in the pond, that means your bio filter is not working properly, but if I had to take a guess I would say it's likely costia.
      Thank you, I'll keep a look out of that. The other fish are healthy though, but I guess I'll try out your treatment. The symptoms also seem to match up, thank you once again!