• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Danny2Fresh DIY Tempest/Bakki shower build

Danny2fresh is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Danny2Fresh DIY Tempest/Bakki shower build

Last year I took on a project of increasing my pond from about 200 gallons to a little over 1000 gallons. The system was kind of thrown together due to time constrains and came out sloppy. My DIY sand/gravel filter was a pain to clean (my own error thinking a single air pump would be enough to “boil” it - it was not) and my moving K1 media bed left a little to be desired. In general having 2 55gal barrels in the back yard was an eye sore. This year I decided I had to change the filtration system.

After watching a lot of koi videos on youtube, I decided to I needed one thing. Bakki shower. I planned my new filtration around this system. I went to Lowes and while originally going to use the small yellow top bins, I found slightly larger Kobalt stackable bins that fit the dimensions of a scaled down Momotaro shower and was not a total eye sore. By following Dazzle Koi on Youtube design I drilled 1/2” holes in 3 of the bins and found that smaller plastic bins from Target fit perfectly in the bottom bin. Later that day I purchased 1.6 cu.ft of Seaside Aquatics Ceramic Bio House media.

I liked the idea of the Tempest because of the size and easy to clean, however at $500 it was a little pricey. I decided to make my own out of PVC and flex connectors. To clean the filter I have my air pump hooked up to each with a ball valve at the bottom for easy cleaning. The idea is to flow the “tempest” filters to the bakki shower, to a protein skimmer, then back into the pond on the other side of the wall. This is fed by a 2400gph pump.

As it is now, I’m not sure if I want to go with a single pipe to the bakki shower, or dual from each tempest. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  E47551EB-9AD6-44A4-9FAA-2B3C2D918F04.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  189.1 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Kathy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cool project, and very neatly done! When you say single pipe to your shower, I'm thinking you're talking about running them in series. That being said, and being that you'll be using your DIY Tempest as your mechanical filter, I would think running them in parallel verses running them in series would be better, but hard to really say as I have zero experience with this filter. If you run them in series, it would involve cleaning the 1st more frequently, which isn't a bad thing, but may be more maintenance for you. You could set up with fernco fittings and experiment which works best for you. I'm interested in the outcome!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I really wanted a sieve incorporated in the system some way. We have a large maple tree next to the pond and sometimes the skimmer would miss some things. I also have nightmares about all the “gunk” that was caught in the S&G filter so I wanted to considered an additional pre filter. I’m trying to tuck everything neatly behind the fence to keep the wife happy.

I liked my moving media bed and wanted to incorporate it somehow since I already have the media and a 40L air pump. My “inspiration” was from “The Koi Channel” on Youtube and really liked how he had a profidrum, moving k1, then shower. After talking back and forth with my local pond shop I decided on a system.

Inside the pond is a 2400gph pump that goes right to a 55w Evo Aqua UV then up to the 25gal bin with about 2 cu.ft of K1 media. Before it enters the bin, there is a 300 micron mesh screen that will filter out all the gunk from the bottom that the skimmer misses before flowing into the moving K1.

The bin then is gravity fed to a 3000gph variable speed pump that goes to the DIY tempests, then to the shower with about 30lbs of bacteria house media. I liked the idea of a variable pump to really dial in the tempests and shower.

After the shower, it collects in the bottom bin then exits to a protein skimmer before flowing back into the pond.

Name:  892FFBFE-2168-40A2-A018-5A727987DEBD.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  199.2 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images   

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Could the air pump become flooded?

Water siphoning into the chambers.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by coolwon View Post
      Could the air pump become flooded?

Water siphoning into the chambers.
      It’s a possibility, and I do plan on placing the pump higher up then shown. However, I had the pump below water level on it previously and as long as the valves are closed, never had it flooded.

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

It happens suddenly, when you least expect it.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Filtration system is completed. Things did not go as planned since there was not enough pressure for the protein skimmer so that idea was ditched. Also added a small pump to the bottom of the bakki shower that flows back into the static K1. Without that pump it would overflow the bottom bin. Static K1 is used for additional mechanical filtration before going to the DIY tempest.

I was surprise how much the 300 micron filter collected along with the K1 after cleaning at 24hrs. Pond is clear. Overall happy with this set up over the S&G / moving K1 filter. Cleaning is easier as well.

Name:  81734782-C8EF-4210-8A0D-EBFBB09001F6.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  106.9 KB
      Name:  6312EA52-BEA5-40C0-9DFF-64313378CE02.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  198.8 KBName:  50E10C3F-B224-4C4C-8B9C-094C5ED7BEA1.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  155.8 KBName:  11D27EA8-5777-46A5-BDE9-3EB616844E7A.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  218.7 KB
      Last edited by Danny2fresh; 04-04-2022 at 06:57 PM.

asp1213 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

where did you buy the 300 micron filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny2fresh View Post
      Filtration system is completed. Things did not go as planned since there was not enough pressure for the protein skimmer so that idea was ditched. Also added a small pump to the bottom of the bakki shower that flows back into the static K1. Without that pump it would overflow the bottom bin. Static K1 is used for additional mechanical filtration before going to the DIY tempest.

I was surprise how much the 300 micron filter collected along with the K1 after cleaning at 24hrs. Pond is clear. Overall happy with this set up over the S&G / moving K1 filter. Cleaning is easier as well.

Name:  81734782-C8EF-4210-8A0D-EBFBB09001F6.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  106.9 KB
      Name:  6312EA52-BEA5-40C0-9DFF-64313378CE02.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  198.8 KBName:  50E10C3F-B224-4C4C-8B9C-094C5ED7BEA1.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  155.8 KBName:  11D27EA8-5777-46A5-BDE9-3EB616844E7A.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  218.7 KB
      Hi, would love to know where you bought the 300micron filter and are you happy with it? I'd like to use something exactly like that for a DIY shower I want to build , but wasn't sure if it would work. Thanks!

aquaholic is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

@Danny2Fresh
      Hi Danny, do you have an update on your DIY tempest filters a year later?
      I'd like to make a set from 300mm PVC pipe that are 2m tall with 20mm hinged check valves. So any insight or potential pitfalls would be appreciated.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007