• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Shubies hate hard round pellets

rubyduby is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Shubies hate hard round pellets

I have tried many different foods for my pond goldfish (shubunkin) but they spit out the hard round pellets (cobalt, dainichi, hakari, ect,..) even in the small size..(I have tried soaking).They LOVE the Bug Bites... The first ingredient is soldier fly larvae which sounds great but then it's corn, corn gluten meal, wheat, salmon, pea protein... and they float for awhile before sinking slowly so I see that my fish are not wasting many at all...Unfortunately I realize that the corn and corn gluten meal is less than satisfactory for their diet. Almost every recommended food that I see among the threads is for foods with wheat or wheat by products among the first few ingredients...I am afraid that the Replashy (sp?)gel food will eventually taint my water quality. I eat high quality food, my dogs eat high quality food and I want the same for my fish...Any suggestions?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Corn processed correctly in fish foods isn't detrimental. Live trials testing have proved this. If the nutrition ratios are balanced and essential elements present the corn ingredient if property processed for digestion shouldn't be a problem.

Pet food is a highly competitive business. Many half truths, exaggeration and complete lies made and circulated by marketing campaigns directed at competition.
      Last edited by batman; 02-18-2022 at 04:06 PM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

By: Mark Griffin, Ph.D.

Recently the koi industry appears to have been all ears about the advisability of
      including corn in MAZURIŽ diets. For more than 104 years nutritionists at Purina Mills,
      Inc. have been perfecting our diets to provide the best possible nutrition for the animals
      under our care--which is why we'd like to set the record straight.
      Like all extruded fish feeds, MAZURIŽ koi diets use carbohydrates to permit floating
      through the gelatinization and expansion processes during manufacturing. All other
      brands of floating koi feed also include at least one major carbohydrate source.
      Foods made in different parts of the world incorporate different carbohydrate sources,
      depending on quality, price and availability. Wheat is often used in other parts of the
      world. However MAZURIŽ koi diets are manufactured in our ISO 9002 Certified facility in
      Richmond, Indiana--in the center of the corn belt of the United States where corn is
      abundant and of excellent quality.
      Regardless of whether the starch (carbohydrate) in koi feed comes from wheat or corn,
      it is made of amylose and amylopectin, which has been gelatinized and is readily
      digestible for fish.Lately people have suggested substituting fish, shrimp and crab meals for corn. These
      are all protein concentrates and may NOT be substituted for carbohydrate sources.
      Crab meat is also prohibitively high in mineral content, which has been proven not to be
      good for promoting koi longevity. These minerals often foul the water.
      MAZURIŽ only includes crab meal or shrimp meal in low levels for palatability. However
      we DO include very high levels of high quality fish meal in our MAZURI Platinum Koi
      food as a protein source.
      In reality, excessive fat deposition in the abdominal cavity and/or the liver of koi results
      from an improper dietary protein to energy ratio. Simply put, the fish may be consuming
      too much energy. Unfortunately, overfeeding is a common practice for many koi
      enthusiasts.
      Nutritionists at Purina make sure the amino acid profile in every MAZURIŽ diet is
      appropriate for koi. The corn is our diets is OK because it is balanced to provide the
      best nutrition for your fish.
      For best growth and color development, feed MAZURIŽ koi diets in the variety
      appropriate for the size of the fish. Koi should be fed one or two meals daily that can be
      readily consumed in a short time. Be careful not to overfeed--and that no feed remains
      in the water. If it does, reduce your koi's next feeding by 10%.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

rubyduby is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Batman for taking the time to post this...Very informative and it makes me feel much better about feeding the Bug Bites which my fish absolutely love...

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007