• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Leaky waterfall

Russellb is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Leaky waterfall

Good morning, I turned off my autofill on the pond the other night due to expected freezing temps. The water level in the pond dropped significantly overnight so I refilled and turned it back on. Checked water bill and 4500 gallons had gone through my submeter, all going to the pond. Anyway, I'm sure it is the splash out I'm getting at the waterfall. I want to add/build up rock on it and use insulation to stop the leaks. I have a can of Handi Foam P30053. Question, I know it is fish safe but I'm not sure how soon I can turn the waterfall back on and not cause harm to the fish. Anyone have experience with this product? Thank you in advance.

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

according to the instructions it is cuttable within an hour. Full cure at 12 hours+.

When ever I use a product that I am not sure how fish-safe it is, I go to the manufacturers website and look at the MSDS or SDS. Material safety data sheet.
      It should give you details on how safe the product is when it comes to the environment, humans, pets, etc..

I took this off the HandiFoam MSDS:
      12.1 Ecotoxicity
      The aquatic toxicity of this product has not been experimentally determined. However, it is expected to have low acute aquatic toxicity
      based on the acute aquatic toxicity of the individual components and their concentration in this mixture.

After an hour of it being cured, I would not be concerned on it being toxic to the koi at all.

I would still wait as long as possible just for adhesiveness

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you. I did go to their website and also emailed but haven't heard back yet. I assume the same as you that once the foam has hardened it is safe. I went ahead and applied it at 9:45 this morning and will most likely wait to 5 or 6 PM to turn everything back on. I appreciate it and will follow up.

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You lost 4500 gallons in one night ? That's a massive leak !!!!!!!!! You may have something else going on with your pond or piping rather than just some splashing from the waterfall rocks. Is the ground outside the waterfall totally flooded ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
      You lost 4500 gallons in one night ? That's a massive leak !!!!!!!!! You may have something else going on with your pond or piping rather than just some splashing from the waterfall rocks. Is the ground outside the waterfall totally flooded ?
      I should of been clearer. The submeter was installed a 3 months ago. Irrigation, one hose bib and the auto fill are hooked to it. Irrigation has been off for a month so it is the first water bill with just the pond and hose bib on it. So it was 4500 gallons in one month. I'm quite certain is the waterfall. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

I did turn the system back on at 2:30 PM and the fish are fine so I don't suspect the insulation harmed them.

ndwgolf is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russellb View Post
      Good morning, I turned off my autofill on the pond the other night due to expected freezing temps. The water level in the pond dropped significantly overnight so I refilled and turned it back on. Checked water bill and 4500 gallons had gone through my submeter, all going to the pond. Anyway, I'm sure it is the splash out I'm getting at the waterfall. I want to add/build up rock on it and use insulation to stop the leaks. I have a can of Handi Foam P30053. Question, I know it is fish safe but I'm not sure how soon I can turn the waterfall back on and not cause harm to the fish. Anyone have experience with this product? Thank you in advance.
      Any idea if you can get that on Amazon. Iím in Thailand but most of the stuff on Amazon will ship to Thailand. Whatís the actual name of this foam. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Come and see what else I get up to HERE
      Neil

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, Amazon sells It, but I bought it at a pond supply store. Hanfi Foam P30053. It was what they recommended.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well after "fixing" the leak several times to only see it come back worse I removed several of the rocks on the waterfall. Found a 3' rip in the liner. Finally, no more leaks.