• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Showa (Dainichi and Marusei Bloodline)

Kai is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Showa (Dainichi and Marusei Bloodline)

It is said that when you pick a showa for pattern, look for a good Kohaku (Beni) and Shiro (Sumi) pattern.
      Have 3 colours on the head, motoguro on the sides and Odome at the tail end. Looks like I broke some 'rules' here.
      A little skinny, but I reckon it's not too bad if she fattens up.

What do you think?

Name:  baa522ec-3633-4161-8022-f1aae1a322c1.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  thumbnail (12).jpeg
Views: 342
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  thumbnail (15).jpg
Views: 338
Size:  63.4 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

To some, they would call it a "Mutt". But to me, it looks good, and if you like it and the way it looks.

-=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

Paul Sabucchi is offline Senior Member
      is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

I like this fish but having said this I thought that with Showa it was not so important to have a good kohaku pattern of Hi but more the overall pattern and balance of Hi and Sumi together. I am still a novice at choosing koi and for this reason have not yet purchased a really expensive one - so am probably getting it all wrong. Strictly speaking this koi does not have a clean odome as there is Hi at the very end of the tail tube but that should not be a detriment in a showa. I think that as this fish grows the Hi will tend to fade in many places and the Sumi will come up in others, please correct me if I am wrong.
      46000 liters with only wetland filtration

Kai is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
      I like this fish but having said this I thought that with Showa it was not so important to have a good kohaku pattern of Hi but more the overall pattern and balance of Hi and Sumi together. I am still a novice at choosing koi and for this reason, have not yet purchased a really expensive one - so am probably getting it all wrong. Strictly speaking this koi does not have a clean odome as there is Hi at the very end of the tail tube but that should not be a detriment in a showa. I think that as this fish grows the Hi will tend to fade in many places and the Sumi will come up in others, please correct me if I am wrong.
      To be on the safe side, a good Kohaku pattern is preferred for the traditional showa as they are dominantly Red and black base. For kinda showa ( more white than red and black), it would be less so. I would this koi is leaning towards kinda rather than traditional. This koi is not perfect. It does not have a clean odome, kiwa ( edge of hi and sumi) is not sharp and probably will not win any koi show. As for Hi, I was told to judge it by looking at the Hi at the tail end and comparing it to the head. The hi is supposed to be the weakest at the tail end. If it is similar to the head in intensity, it should hold up.

I do find this koi interesting. It's messy in the pattern but somehow the abstract markings made it balance. It is probably 50% finished in terms of how it will look, but that also means I can get to enjoy seeing it change as it grows.

Kai is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      To some, they would call it a "Mutt". But to me, it looks good, and if you like it and the way it looks.

One man's mutt is another beauty.
      Showa tends to have this effect. Either you like it or you don't as patterns do not necessarily follow a set pattern.
      Found a similar looking one at a well known Japanese auction site. This one is from ISA Koi farm. Has better kiwa on the body but patterns look similar. Not a classical showa but there will be some who would want it in the pond.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by Kai; 01-11-2022 at 09:07 PM.

Paul Sabucchi is offline Senior Member
      is Tired

Feeling:
      Meh

Thanks, I like both of them, regardless of the "parameters" and would be happy to have either in my pond anyway
      46000 liters with only wetland filtration

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
      One man's mutt is another beauty.
      Showa tends to have this effect. Either you like it or you don't as patterns do not necessarily follow a set pattern.
      Found a similar looking one at a well known Japanese auction site. This one is from ISA Koi farm. Has better kiwa on the body but patterns look similar. Not a classical showa but there will be some who would want it in the pond.
      Agreed with you on that.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

kevins2ooo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's a nice koi, depending on how much you got it for. I think skin quality and beni seem to be the main issues here but the pattern is very attractive!

Kai is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevins2ooo View Post
      It's a nice koi, depending on how much you got it for. I think skin quality and beni seem to be the main issues here but the pattern is very attractive!
      Agree that Beni could be an issue, especially on the shoulders. Let's see how it grows in the future

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007